HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #751

Here's my answer to all posts....

Sng Arms is at army market, golden mile foodcourt upstairs. Yup ridiculous prices for knives you can easily get online.

Please don't tell the whole world how to bring knives into Singapore. That should be done privately in PM. We don't want to make it more difficult for the knife collectors here. There will be one day when people start mass importing knives and the rules will bend against our favour. Thanks a lot buddy!

Well the people at the post office don't want to take risks. They would rather label a knife a dagger (even if it isn't) cause it might turn out to be one if deemed by A&E. I got quite irritated one time there because I KNOW that my knife wasn't even double edged - how to be dagger mah? Had to "explain" to them and even drew my finger across the top for them to see.

Accura - nice Ka-Bar! Need to go through a lot of trouble you see.

Doubleagent - I use "Tuf-glide" or "Marine tuf cloth" to wipe my knives down. See it here: http://www.sentrysolutions.com/

Lonerider - The knife has a "false edge" I believe, which is a upper part that looks sharpened but is not. This aids penetration.
grenharware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #752

Let's see if my latest order - SOG trident tiger stripe folder will end up there or not...
Good luck... especially since it's an AO.
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #753
Supremacy Member

Army market as in the beach road hawker centre upstairs? ok thanks!
InvestmentJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #754
Master Member

I have a few in my humble pile including some customs but my faves are the Al Mar 2k sere (Valloton ) and the Microtech LCC. The sere 2k is 154cm and the LCC's s30v (also d/a ). Just love to open them while watching tv
kennysme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #755

I have a few in my humble pile including some customs but my faves are the Al Mar 2k sere (Valloton ) and the Microtech LCC. The sere 2k is 154cm and the LCC's s30v (also d/a ). Just love to open them while watching tv
Lets see some pics bro... Especially that Microtech. Doubt many in Singapore have one.
Old 26-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #756
Master Member

my new knives have arrived.
when i good mood then i post pictures. the sneaky postman dumped the whole box in my letterbox. no wonder i waited so long, he never press my doorbell. waste my time staying at home.

hey guys. what type of oil to u use to maintain the knife?
DoubleAgent. i use baby oil. 125ml for $4. it's mineral oil + fragrance. i want to find 100% mineral oil but cannot find.

lonerider, can you don't post picture thumbnails. haha. gotta click to enlarge to see full size. i'm lazy you see. try www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com. just sayin'

this thread is making me broke. i already planning my next shipment...

Last edited by i_got_a_question_to_ask; 26-05-2009 at 06:46 PM..
i_got_a_question_to_ask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #757

my new knives have arrived.
when i good mood then i post pictures. the sneaky postman dumped the whole box in my letterbox. no wonder i waited so long, he never press my doorbell. waste my time staying at home.

i use baby oil. 125ml for $4. it's mineral oil + fragrance. i want to find 100% mineral oil but cannot find.

lonerider, can you don't post picture thumbnails. haha. gotta click to enlarge to see full size. i'm lazy you see. try www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com. just sayin'
It's dumped in the mailbox cos it's shipped USPS 1st class w/ no confirmation. I prefer it this way actually. No need to make a trip to the post office as most times I'm not at home to welcome the package.

Mineral oil is very popular with a lot of knife collectors and yes baby oil has a nice and pleasant smell, definitely an advantage. Only con I can think of is that it does dry up pretty fast. Make sure you wipe your blades down first and remove any prints or moisture. I sometimes use denatured alcohol prior to oiling. Any moisture trapped under the oil film, can lead to corrosion. For long term storage try to find renaissance wax. Bit pricy but that's the stuff museums use to coat their collection. I use a Thirsty Hippo in my storage box to make sure surface humidity is at a minimum. However be careful using this and other dehumidifiers if you have knives with horn (stag, buffalo etc.), unstabilised wood or leather. Too dry an environment will lead to them cracking. I had a Case folder with stag scales crack on me. Lesson learnt.

Sorry ah... Not very computer savvy... Only learnt to use a PC when I was in poly and last few years I haven't been using it much in my old job. Heck... I just got on facebook last week and still have no idea what to do with it, seems very complicated. Still, no problem... Never too late to learn and try new things. Future pics will be on a different host.

Still no sign of my Snody BM H&K... If it doesn't arrive by tomorrow it means a trip to Paya Lebar on Sat. Think he labelled it "tactical zombie killer knife" instead of utillity knife as I requested. This hobby won't make you broke if you practice self control... Too bad I don't have much self control. I've a Kershaw JYDII Composite blade on the way. Promised myself it'll be my last until I've gotten rid of some of my cheaper folders.

See you Thurs... Don't forget the Pika! You let me fondle yours and I'll let you fondle mine. LOL
Old 27-05-2009, 09:40 PM   #758

This is the latest addition to my collection. Another custom folder but this time in carbon fibre and silver twill G10 scales. Blade is in CPM154 (not 154CM). Overall I'm very pleased with it. Lighter than the first folder he made me but still flips open nicely. Some other changes were the blade shape and grindlines; this has a higher grind and a much thicker and stronger tip. As this was a second project I actually got a pretty good price for this.

Enjoy the pics... More pics to follow in the next few days.

Old 27-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #759

Mineral Oil

For those looking for mineral oil do note that you can get a bottle of the stuff for SGD6 at Ikea, kitchen cutlery section. This is the one without additive. Mineral oil as previously mentioned is non-toxic and in this case it is for coating wooden chopping blocks.

Just got the letter from SingPost. It's confirmed, my BM Snody Axis H&K have been detained. Gonna collect it at Paya Lebar tomorrow.
Old 27-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #760

your Snody Axis H&K is an AO folder?
Accura69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #761

your Snody Axis H&K is an AO folder?
Nope.. It's a manual. Happens every so often when you bring in knives. There's no way for them to tell if it's an AO, auto or manual knife short of physically opening the package and they are only allowed to do that in your presence. Which is why I need to go Paya Lebar to collect it. Just part of the knife collecting game.
Old 28-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #762
Master Member

my sharpening clamp alginer

clamping a knife in fixed angle [sorry for black background]
i_got_a_question_to_ask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #763
Master Member

thinkpad spotted
Old 28-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #764
High Supremacy Member

So you just move the blade on the stone with clamp face to face with the stone surface?? Like that easy to sharpen or not??
BlackWing1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #765
High Supremacy Member

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LCSGM.php

I played with this with some blunt kitchen knives (but must steel it a few times after sharpening) including a ZDP Santoku..... and it managed to make it sharp enough to slice through paper easily but I highly doubt the edge will last without going on a whetstone.... but it is simple enough for me to operate....
BlackWing1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.