HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #7711
Arch-Supremacy Member

obviously not to the point of using a leather strop and compound ...

in the kitchen ... always get scolded for sharpening knife....
no time leh.. but use honing steel heart pain...

not trying for an ornamental chef knife...
probably something that retain edge.. does not need honing. dont have to be resistant cause use everyday at least 6 hours.. and most of all not so expensive that i would cry is someone else use it...

then again with all the crap 10 inch 12 inch victorinox and geisser lying around .... i rather get a stone before a knife..

was NANIWA the "lobster" brand? my mentor used to have a 800# grit micron stone very big one .. brown colour.... i would like that ...

the super stone like very expensive leh, still need so much accessories
flat grinder .. rubber base...

google chinese water stone 12000 grit :
i using this one totally no grinding feeling... slipped and cut my hand twice liao.... bought for 6 dollars at sia huat ... tot i got a bargain..
First, for faster sharpening use diamond sharpener. Diamond sharpeners shave off steel faster.

Second, use something like a DMT diamond sharpener because its small.

Third, i am nvr going to share my knife with another one in the kitchen. but if really to that point, then get something less than 100. The best choice i guess is a VG10 steel knife but those are not cheap too.

Always remember that better steel like vg10 takes a longer time to sharpen.
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #7712

the one you've been waiting for - it's here and available

well I received a package today with none other than the much sought after...ZT-Hinderer 0562CF with the super M390 steel

And now I have two so I'm gonna offer up my extra piece to fellow knife collectors on EDMW here. These are sold out everywhere and have to be pre-ordered, unless you are lucky. I waited 8-9 months for it (can't quite recall) but you don't have to wait. I'm told local dealers are charging >SGD500 for this model but vespaguy is going to pass on the deal so price is firm.

USD285 via paypal, the 5% fees included (paypal is preferred) or SGD400 cash. Box papers all included. The folder is LNIB, taken out to photo and flip. It flips beautifully, is centered, falls shut when unlocked (smoothest production flipper I've handled), has a very nice smooth Cf and the edge is super sharp. It's damn near perfect

Anyways, don't wait too long - PM me if you are interested. Pick up at bukit panjang area.

viking and doel89 like this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 01-03-2015 at 03:41 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #7713

was NANIWA the "lobster" brand? my mentor used to have a 800# grit micron stone very big one .. brown colour.... i would like that ...

the super stone like very expensive leh, still need so much accessories
flat grinder .. rubber base...
yes, naniwa is the lobster brand. The brown one is a very rough grit - 800 is for rough sharpening - not enough for polishing/refining the edge but great for veggies and meat (not for sushi or sashimi though). They have a superstone (only for Singapore market) 400/1000grit - but the feel of superstones is different from their normal stones due to the bonding material.

in terms of accessories - not really, you don't need the rubber base (it's only $20), and for the flattening stone - just buy a flat carborundum stone (pls pick a flat one) or just flatten the stone on sandpaper placed on your kitchen countertop. There, I just saved you some money so you can buy my 2000 grit naniwa now
Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #7714

whats the cheapest harden VG 10 now? preferably gyuto at 8 inch
san mai clad too

i liked the yaxell mon ran and zen are thoes any good?

btw vespaguy.. i tot the naniwa deluxe micron 1000# was quite fine already.. for industrial use...

today got to chopped 6 roast duck... the victorinox had microchips or bent...
but the 5 star heinkel fares alot better ... both are not mine... my own pollux reserved for tomatoes and bread only ROFL

PS: i figure out my stone liao ... seems to be a C12k or a C-nat natural chinese stone at "12000 grit" manage to get the slurry up this time after i grind the stone with another stone ...
doel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #7715
Arch-Supremacy Member

whats the cheapest harden VG 10 now? preferably gyuto at 8 inch
san mai clad too

i liked the yaxell mon ran and zen are thoes any good?

btw vespaguy.. i tot the naniwa deluxe micron 1000# was quite fine already.. for industrial use...

today got to chopped 6 roast duck... the victorinox had microchips or bent...
but the 5 star heinkel fares alot better ... both are not mine... my own pollux reserved for tomatoes and bread only ROFL

PS: i figure out my stone liao ... seems to be a C12k or a C-nat natural chinese stone at "12000 grit" manage to get the slurry up this time after i grind the stone with another stone ...
WTF?! 12000 grit?! that is super fine... used by those pros the make knife shine like a mirror but it will take freaking long time to sharpen a knife. Because lower grit shave off steel more than higher grit and lower grit is more coarse.

The reason victorinox has microships is purely because its higher hardness and easily to ship when hit tough things.

The problem is u should use chopper to chop ducks as duck meat are more tough...
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #7716

WTF?! 12000 grit?! that is super fine... used by those pros the make knife shine like a mirror but it will take freaking long time to sharpen a knife. Because lower grit shave off steel more than higher grit and lower grit is more coarse.

The reason victorinox has microships is purely because its higher hardness and easily to ship when hit tough things.

The problem is u should use chopper to chop ducks as duck meat are more tough...
China's "12000 grit" may not be the same grit as a naniwa/shapton stone... I highly doubt it's 12000. A naniwa 12k stone is about 100+ dollars.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #7717

Hello everyone! I have here a brous mini division flipper up for sale, need to move this piece to make room for more knives. 300 USD online, but im letting it go for 300SGD. What is forex?! post count's too low to post pics, so if you're interested, pm me and i'll send you some pics via email! This blade's not really mini, considering it has a 3.5" blade. No issues with the blade, never seen any cutting or sharpening time, only for me to see see touch touch.

More info about the blade:

Overall Length:8.30"
Blade Length:3.50"
Blade Thickness:0.19"
Blade Material2
Finish:Satin
Edge Typelain
Handle Length:4.80"
Handle Thickness:0.67"
Handle Material:G-10
Color:Black
Frame/Liner:Stainless Steel
Weight:5.65 oz.

Feel free to PM with any questions you have! Happy collecting folks!
mamba2012 likes this.
Kachangputay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #7718
High Honorary Member

hey guys, nub question wanna ask, does this knife allow for shipping to sg~?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kershaw-zing
BigAssGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #7719

hey guys, nub question wanna ask, does this knife allow for shipping to sg~?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kershaw-zing
Ok! Dont ask further as it's gray but go ahead and be wise.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:43 PM   #7720

decided to snap some pics of my blades - ZT Hinderer 0562CF slicer with the delicious M390 blade, a Barbudo puukko with a sanmai blade and African wenge handle and a 10 year old French douk-douk with a nice underlying story. Decided to take my para 2 out from storage to give it a once over too.

Enjoy.

Ps: All of the knives are looking for new homes. The 0562CF, Barbudo puukko-leuku set. the 204P Para2 with the spaceman ti deep carry clip are all reasonably priced. The kifaru x-ray pack is also available - and the Chelsea boots are either free (if you buy the x-ray) or $50. Used but still has some nice life left - Made In Italy too
squarebox and Kachangputay like this.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #7721

Western kitchen dun have cleaver... but then again the chinese side has cleaver with very obvious burs... yet it cuts so fine
doel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 AM   #7722

Retired the ZT0801BW due to the ZT0562CF.

viking, squarebox and vespaguy like this.
sublimedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #7723

decided to snap some pics of my blades - ZT Hinderer 0562CF slicer with the delicious M390 blade, a Barbudo puukko with a sanmai blade and African wenge handle and a 10 year old French douk-douk with a nice underlying story. Decided to take my para 2 out from storage to give it a once over too.

Enjoy.

Ps: All of the knives are looking for new homes. The 0562CF, Barbudo puukko-leuku set. the 204P Para2 with the spaceman ti deep carry clip are all reasonably priced. The kifaru x-ray pack is also available - and the Chelsea boots are either free (if you buy the x-ray) or $50. Used but still has some nice life left - Made In Italy too
All lovely knives. How nice if the 562 could have its ZT logo removed. Perfect stealth!
khimwoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #7724
Great Supremacy Member

I got the small DMT diamond sharpener... Not for the violent ppl. The handle can break easily because its flimsy. But good for sharpening!

OR u can buy from dealextreme those sharpeners that copy american makers.

Looks good but i havent got one yet. Professional Fix-angle 4 Stones Version II Kitchen Knife Sharpener System (SKU 325069) - DX Offers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Thanks, I am looking at DMT sharpeners but they are very exp.
Currently looking at the duo sided Coarse and fine 10" stone..
Costs S$200

right now, I am looking at Quartermaster folding knives
Any comments?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #7725

Thanks, I am looking at DMT sharpeners but they are very exp.
Currently looking at the duo sided Coarse and fine 10" stone..
Costs S$200

right now, I am looking at Quartermaster folding knives
Any comments?
Yes. They blatantly rip off other makers'knife designs. If u want to get a quartermaster as a keeper, to each his own. But if u hope to sell it off one day... Then this is a horrible choice.

A Spyderco /zt would suit your needs much better. I'd recommend the ever popular zt 0801. It's all around one of the most value for money production knives out there period. A quick google search will reveal why.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.