HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #7861

I see, thank you for the recommendations. Those japanese stones seems quite expensive though, especially if you get a few grits. Are you referring to these?

Also, where do you guys normally get your knives and accessories? There are 1 or 2 local sites like urbantools and hockgift seems a bit pricey.
Edgepedition(local) prices are more reasonable.
anvil_den likes this.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:08 PM   #7862

I see, thank you for the recommendations. Those japanese stones seems quite expensive though, especially if you get a few grits. Are you referring to these?

Also, where do you guys normally get your knives and accessories? There are 1 or 2 local sites like urbantools and hockgift seems a bit pricey.
From razorsharp (waterstones). Knives are really from all over the place depending on whether one collects customs or productions.

I manage to buy an edgepro from one of the nice forum members here (:
I also use the Spyderco Sharpmaker and the naniwa waterstones in 400,1000 and 5000 grits. Overkill imo, but I like to pick up useful skills. Waterstones are great for field sharpening + kitchen knife sharpening. The edgepro is more for the people who desire "hair whittling sharpness" and the Sharpmaker is best for quick touch ups,but cannot reprofile.

Choose whichever suits you best. Of course, there are many cheaper alternatives. Iirc, some other members use a dmt aligner.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #7863
Arch-Supremacy Member

Locally, knives are very pricey. If u dun have anything in mind, go black tactical.

Or just buy from overseas online.
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #7864

To the bros here, I was thinking of getting kitchen knife set from online. But I'm worried that it cannot pass through customs. I read some websites saying it shouldn't be a problem but when I emailed to singpost to ask they said knives where prohibited. Anyone who have had prior experience can help to clarify thanks!
hianyiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #7865
Arch-Supremacy Member

To the bros here, I was thinking of getting kitchen knife set from online. But I'm worried that it cannot pass through customs. I read some websites saying it shouldn't be a problem but when I emailed to singpost to ask they said knives where prohibited. Anyone who have had prior experience can help to clarify thanks!
knives are ok wat. I shipped kitchen knife b4 also.

If kitchen knives cannot ship in online, then Singapore kitchen knives come from where? Singapore dun make kitchen knife.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #7866

Learnt something new today, I bought a folding knife from a maker online and have to send it back to the US to get something fixed.

Visited singapore post and they told me they are unable to prices knives to ship overseas. Advised me to use private companies like FedEx or dhl.

Anyone experienced this before? How do you guys ship your knives out if you have to get them repaired?
Follow their advice! It's possible to ship via Shitpost if you label it as camping tool, but it will probably take 30 years to reach the maker? Haha.. Use FedEx better
Kachangputay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #7867

Follow their advice! It's possible to ship via Shitpost if you label it as camping tool, but it will probably take 30 years to reach the maker? Haha.. Use FedEx better
Pro-tip: If u wanna ship via fedex and dhl cheaply, check out comgateway... It saves u a chunk of change for premium service.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #7868

vespa needs funds for new adventures, so am listing 2 special blades for sale:

1. jungle parang (called golok by the maker but it is actually a parang by definition) - blade is 13", handforged with pride. long drawn tang, epoxied and pinned. Scabbard and handle are hard hard Thai rosewood variety. Blade is 5160, with differential hardening (as you can also see from the heattreat marks). Razor sharp. This is not a tourist nor is it a basic agricultural tool. This was made to knife enthusiasts standards. There's a long waiting list for this - I originally had plans for this but in order to work on 2 longstanding projects, I'll try my luck in listing this. Neither used nor carried.

USD300 via paypal please.

(e-nep isn't for sale, it was a gift)

2. CAS hunter, blade is 6" sanmai (stainless laminated to 1095), beautiful to see in pics, even more beautiful in person. Handle has an uncompromising ergos, domed pins on polished black g10. Handtooled leather sheath. Razor sharp. Balance is fantastic, it's very fast in the hand. You'll want to carry this next time you go camping, or, just put it up on your shelves. Maker has a 8-9 month waiting list and will cost more from maker. Neither used nor carried.

USD625 via paypal please.

3. Big Chris Barong in CPM3V - 13" (blade) of sheer power and in a modern highly rated steel. 2.5" at the widest. I believe it has Peters heat treat as well. This guy will take anything off - proven in use (once or twice). Still shaving sharp. Not for newbies - requires confidence and experience to use.

USD550 via paypal please.

4. And of course, you'll need a nice pack to lug all these around, so my Kifaru x-ray backpack is still available. USD420 via paypal and I'll include my kitchen knife. Hell (if you want that Chelsea boot in the pic, size 41, I'll include that too...as well as the kitchen knife - that's like hundreds in freebies )

nobody interested?

somebody asked a question on how to get, how to ship etc....as above.

well, it's clear that you can buy, ship in and out knives, otherwise all the collectors won't be collecting. Nothing illegal here. If shops can do it, why can't you? the trick is to avoid using singpost when shipping out, unless you declare as 'camp tools'. The front desk guys aren't familiar with the nuances, and they're not knifeknuts. The back office guys when seeing the description 'knives' automatically equate it to 'weapons'. So it's a psychological/mental issue and they don't want to understand the restrictions further.

There is actually no law/regulation against shipping out knives, so long as the receiving country has no law against importing knives and everything is packed safely and securely so that no handler is hurt.

Speaking of FEDEX and DHL, DHL refused to ship my knife back to the country of origin as well, citing that the country didn't allow importation - so I used singpost in that regard, and they delivered.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #7869
Master Member

I manage to buy an edgepro from one of the nice forum members here (:
I also use the Spyderco Sharpmaker and the naniwa waterstones in 400,1000 and 5000 grits. Overkill imo, but I like to pick up useful skills. Waterstones are great for field sharpening + kitchen knife sharpening. The edgepro is more for the people who desire "hair whittling sharpness" and the Sharpmaker is best for quick touch ups,but cannot reprofile.

Choose whichever suits you best. Of course, there are many cheaper alternatives. Iirc, some other members use a dmt aligner.
So sharpmaker is not that useful?

There are china versions of edgepro at eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Hot-Knife...item5d4e1ac977

Locally, knives are very pricey. If u dun have anything in mind, go black tactical.

Or just buy from overseas online.
Any overseas website to recommend? Most of the ones I found are not really "international shipping friendly".
Kcusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #7870

So sharpmaker is not that useful?

There are china versions of edgepro at eBay.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Hot-Knife...item5d4e1ac977

Any overseas website to recommend? Most of the ones I found are not really "international shipping friendly".
Knifecenter
Old 09-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #7871
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually for sharpening depends on how good u want ur knife to look.

Spyderco sharpmaker is simple and straight forward.

A shinning surface on the knife require a long time on a high grit stone or surface.

Those sharpening aunty or companies dun care how the knife looks. They use machine grind or belt grind to fasten the work. And inorder or steel to remove fast, they uses low grit which makes the surface rough.

So if u wan a beautiful knife to ur collection, i believe u have to learn to do it on ur own.

Nobody will sharpen ur knife to look shinning even for 100 sgd. Because Japan knife sharpeners master took 10 years to learn sharpening. And they aren't cheap.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7872

Need some cash for an important overseas trip. Can't post picture yet, so feel free to PM me for any queries. I will do my best to answer all questions and provide pictures of the knives.

The following are lightly carried, comes with original boxes and packaging:

Brous T4 Carbon Fiber - Satin Blade #119 (COA and padded case) - $650

Brous Bionic 1.0 - Black Handle, Satin Blade #559 (COA and Tube Packaging) - $180

Zero Tolerance ZT0562CF M390 Blade - $340

Doug Ritter Griptilian Large, with Custom Scale (Black G10/ Green Liner) and Titanium Standoffs - $200

Decepticon Clone (Black/Gold) (padded case and free Cardsharp) - $old

The following are lightly carried, but do not come with boxes or packaging:

CRKT Nirk Tighe 2 - $80

Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto (light scratches on black coating)- $old

Enlan EL-08 - $30

Enlan EL-02 - $10

Sanrenmu 710 - $old

All prices are in SGD. Meetup would be at Boon Keng MRT or nearby NEL stations, but other arrangements can be made on a case by case basis.

Added a Brous Bionic 1.0. Slight price reduction.

All prices are negotiable. Really need the cash urgently.
Dryxhyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #7873

bump for sale.....reasonable offers considered, there are some magical blades in there...

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/93...-post7884.html
Old 13-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #7874

Hey guys I have 2 knives for sale! Need some funds.
Brous is sold, thanks guys!!

First up I have a CRKT ikoma fossil with a satin blade, this one's the normal 3.96" version with the plain edge. Asking price is 80SGD

Next I also have a Brous mini division flipper up for sale! Which is the mini version With Satin D2 steel with black g10 handles. Even though it's a mini, it has 3.5" blade. Asking price is $old!

Both knives have never been carried,used or sharpen. Only used to flip and admire. I'll also let both go for 300 SGD! Pm me if interested and price is definitely negotiable! Can't post pics here so pm me for pics too, thanks!!

Last edited by Kachangputay; 17-05-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Kachangputay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 01:22 AM   #7875

Last edited by squarebox; 08-06-2015 at 03:15 PM..
squarebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.