HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #8056

I'm looking for a beginner's utility knife for bait'n'tackle/EDC purposes.

Thinking of purchasing Shikiwaru's Kershaw Skyline. Would like everyone's take on the knife itself in terms of quality, durability, (whatever other criteria you think applicable) and whether it suits my requirements. Alternative suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Edit: Just saw the China vs US debate a page back. Wonder how a Kershaw would rate against China knives. (Though I've heard some Kershaw is MIC)
I'm not a fisherman, but I would think that a pair of scissors will cut lines the best, plus a box cutter in the toolkit for the messy jobs. IF you're talking about gutting and cleaning fish, I would avoid folders completely. Buy a cheap fillet knife/paring knife - those do a better job.

IF you want a folding knife, I would recommend those with H1 steel - whether freshwater or saltwater fishing, and in yellow scales
anvil_den likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 27-08-2015 at 06:25 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #8057
Master Member

By the way, how well does the Skyline hold an edge. Because I'm not entirely sure if the person I intend to buy this for is much of a meticulous sharpener.
This man holds your answer. Do note that this test is 4 years ago, not sure if they have changed anything about the current Skylines.

EDIT: I've heard people put it slightly below VG-10. I won't be able to tell you anything as I'll be selling them off and not using them.

Last edited by Shikiwaru; 26-08-2015 at 08:16 PM..
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #8058
Master Member

They're here! As stated earlier, I'm selling the Kershaw Skyline.

It is listed as $75, but if you tell me that you came from this thread, it'll be $70!

Kind of a shame I have to let it go, but I'll probably get the BladeHQ exclusive or a Damascus one in the future.

Contact me via PM here or on Carousell to deal.

SOLD

Last edited by Shikiwaru; 17-09-2015 at 05:42 PM..
Old 27-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #8059

Sandvik steel is like 440B. I don't think you can compare it with VG10 except for ease of sharpening.

Old 27-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #8060

I'm not a fisherman, but I would think that a pair of scissors will cut lines the best, plus a box cutter in the toolkit for the messy jobs. IF you're talking about gutting and cleaning fish, I would avoid folders completely. Buy a cheap fillet knife/paring knife - those do a better job.

IF you want a folding knife, I would recommend those with H1 steel - whether freshwater or saltwater fishing, and in yellow scales
Valid point. But there are probably a great many tasks that could be performed more cost effectively with anything other than a folding knife.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this thread isn't exactly filled with spec-ops/ninja/outdoorsman types that specifically NEED fancy knives either.

Guess I was thinking along the lines of a 'luxury' item that performs a function but is also cooler give as a gift than say a pair of scissors.

Whatever the case, I guess the Skyline doesn't really match the requirements. Will take your suggestion and look into H1 blade. Thanks.
tangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #8061

Valid point. But there are probably a great many tasks that could be performed more cost effectively with anything other than a folding knife.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this thread isn't exactly filled with spec-ops/ninja/outdoorsman types that specifically NEED fancy knives either.

Guess I was thinking along the lines of a 'luxury' item that performs a function but is also cooler give as a gift than say a pair of scissors.

Whatever the case, I guess the Skyline doesn't really match the requirements. Will take your suggestion and look into H1 blade. Thanks.
yes, for a gift, I would recommend that you take a look at the following 2 knives (no fisherman would refuse a nice knife for a gift, in my experience. They may not want to buy it themselves but they sure as hell are damn pleased when they get a good knife )

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP9...ow-FRN-Handles

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP8...ow-FRN-Handles

https://boyeknives.com/

OR a nice folding fillet knife (great if your fisherman likes to fillet and cook his fish at site) or alternatively, a folding kitchen knife (check out AGRussell)

OR stainless Mora knives (cheap, and good with nice thin blades - perfect for fishing) if you're ok with fixed blades

OR stainless douk-douks (especially the ones with the yellow scales) - the blades are easy to sharpen, thin (important for fish as you don't want to bruise the flesh) and easily packable:

http://www.couteaux-berthier.com/cog...s,us,3,150.cfm

Happy hunting....errr....fishing

Last edited by vespaguy; 28-08-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Old 28-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #8062

hey guys, any tips on how to oil (what oil to use) and how to sharpen the knives? trying to take care of the army sog
kingcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #8063
Master Member

hey guys, any tips on how to oil (what oil to use) and how to sharpen the knives? trying to take care of the army sog
I believe you mean the SAF-issue Victorinox.

For oiling, I just use plain old Singer oil. It is around $1 at most hardware/DIY shops. Food-safe and cheap. Just point it down the pivot areas, squeeze 1-2 drops, open and close the knife a little bit and wipe off the excess.

It may attract pocket lint and dust in the pivot, I don't find that to be that big of a problem (especially when you are going to be just storing it in the nylon pouch on your ILBV).

As for sharpening, I'm not too sure what to recommend to you. I personally use a DMT Aligner Kit, which comes with a serrations sharpener. I believe the knife is partially serrated so that it is low maintenance for the average soldier.

But hey, I was an office drone during my NS days, what do I know?

Last edited by Shikiwaru; 28-08-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Old 28-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #8064

I believe you mean the SAF-issue Victorinox.

For oiling, I just use plain old Singer oil. It is around $1 at most hardware/DIY shops. Food-safe and cheap. Just point it down the pivot areas, squeeze 1-2 drops, open and close the knife a little bit and wipe off the excess.

It may attract pocket lint and dust in the pivot, I don't find that to be that big of a problem (especially when you are going to be just storing it in the nylon pouch on your ILBV).

As for sharpening, I'm not too sure what to recommend to you. I personally use a DMT Aligner Kit, which comes with a serrations sharpener. I believe the knife is partially serrated so that it is low maintenance for the average soldier.

But hey, I was an office drone during my NS days, what do I know?
haha cheers. I was issued the SOG multitool during tekong days. would normal kitchen knife stone be ok for sharpening serrated blades?
kingcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #8065
Master Member

haha cheers. I was issued the SOG multitool during tekong days. would normal kitchen knife stone be ok for sharpening serrated blades?
I'm not sure how wide the serrations are on that. You could try using the edge of the stone to get into the serrations and sharpen them. But most people would recommend some form of rod-type of sharpener for serrations.
Old 29-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #8066

I believe SOG was issued by SAF in the past. SOG has the best pliers.

As for serrations - you need to understand the mechanics behind sharpening serrations. At the factory, the serrations are ground in by using a wheel with the serration pattern ground in the wheel - so some have the spyderco type serrations some have the cold steel type etc. In order to sharpen serrations properly, you need to be able to get into the edge of the serrations which means that the contact point of the abrasive has to be similar or smaller in diameter to each 'serration'.

Most serrations sharpeners are either a rod type (conical) (DMT) so that you only need one rod to get into each serration. Some use the corners of a stone to 'slide' in and out of each serration (spyderco sharpmaker, gatco etc).

I like the sharpmaker as it is versatile - you can sharpen both the serrations and the plain edge in one stroke. To strop the serration (if you want to polish it a little, although it kinda defeats the point), just use a small diameter shoelace, rub some stropping compound in it and slide it up and down each serration.

[I hate serrations but they have their place for cutting nylon rope]. Personally I would send it back to factory - I've never seen anyone sharpen serrations better than factory, although a lot of steel is removed at factory.
kingcarlos likes this.
Old 29-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #8067
Master Member

I believe SOG was issued by SAF in the past. SOG has the best pliers.

As for serrations - you need to understand the mechanics behind sharpening serrations. At the factory, the serrations are ground in by using a wheel with the serration pattern ground in the wheel - so some have the spyderco type serrations some have the cold steel type etc. In order to sharpen serrations properly, you need to be able to get into the edge of the serrations which means that the contact point of the abrasive has to be similar or smaller in diameter to each 'serration'.

Most serrations sharpeners are either a rod type (conical) (DMT) so that you only need one rod to get into each serration. Some use the corners of a stone to 'slide' in and out of each serration (spyderco sharpmaker, gatco etc).

I like the sharpmaker as it is versatile - you can sharpen both the serrations and the plain edge in one stroke. To strop the serration (if you want to polish it a little, although it kinda defeats the point), just use a small diameter shoelace, rub some stropping compound in it and slide it up and down each serration.

[I hate serrations but they have their place for cutting nylon rope]. Personally I would send it back to factory - I've never seen anyone sharpen serrations better than factory, although a lot of steel is removed at factory.
Or in the case of SOG, you should be able to buy a replacement blade. In that case, you might even be able to choose the plain edge instead to save you trouble for future sharpening.
anvil_den likes this.
Old 29-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #8068

Dremeil with the right bit works too!
Old 30-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #8069

Guys,does Vpost or Comgateway allow forwarding of knives from Amazon? Folders and fixed blades under 5 inches. I plan to order them in these 2 days. Thanks.
Dr Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #8070

CGW - folders should be ok. fixed blades (outside of kitchen knives) - no so far, but they were big uns. I'm not sure of smallish fixies, but you don't want to risk it - if you use CGW and they don't deliver, you'll have to pay a fair bit to get it returned to Amazon.

Never used Vpost.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.