HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #8116
High Supremacy Member

Hi guys, any recommendation for freight forwarder for USA? I'm planning to buy some swords and knives from there and ship to Singapore. Currently comgateway and daigou are both out. So looking for recommendation for freight forwarder. I will apply the relevant permit from SPF just need help with shipping. Hence any recommendation for this will be greatly appreciated.
ZETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #8117

Hi guys, any recommendation for freight forwarder for USA? I'm planning to buy some swords and knives from there and ship to Singapore. Currently comgateway and daigou are both out. So looking for recommendation for freight forwarder. I will apply the relevant permit from SPF just need help with shipping. Hence any recommendation for this will be greatly appreciated.
Most will not ship - IATA rules. USPS and FedEx will IIRC but you will need to clear the items at ICA followed by SPF. Are they live blades? if they are, you probably want to handle the customs/police clearance yourself so the items don't get damaged as you'll definitely need to go to Cantonment to get them cleared - there are no assurances on whether they'll get through only previous cases. I'm talking about swords, not knives. For knives (provided that they are prohibited/restricted), Cantonment may not be necessary.
Stevejobless likes this.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #8118
High Supremacy Member

Most will not ship - IATA rules. USPS and FedEx will IIRC but you will need to clear the items at ICA followed by SPF. Are they live blades? if they are, you probably want to handle the customs/police clearance yourself so the items don't get damaged as you'll definitely need to go to Cantonment to get them cleared - there are no assurances on whether they'll get through only previous cases. I'm talking about swords, not knives. For knives (provided that they are prohibited/restricted), Cantonment may not be necessary.
Thanks Mate. Will check with the customer service from USPS. FedEx says no to shipping swords

Had wrote in to SPF to query about this and they will allow the import of the item provided application for the permit is done.
Old 21-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #8119
Arch-Supremacy Member

Chopping/camp clearing knives do not make good kitchen knives (that includes camp cooking) - too heavy, too thick. If you forsee a need to bring a chopping/clearing blade, then bring another light, thin cooking knife (like those $10 victorinox parers or simple kitchen blade you can buy from Daiso/budget shops etc). Especially if there's a big group cooking - you want to bring a couple of those $2 knives

My 2cents
small branches - you can break them, no knife required. big branches, you'll smash/break them or borrow some villager's chopper - see if you can buy one off them.

mora or victorinox paring knife is really good for these trips. They're inexpensive and thin bladed. brightly coloured, nobody would think you're criminal, if stopped by customs. Get the stainless mora rather than carbon, it's just easier maintenance.

you can get 2 moras and some extra to buy a victorinox paring knife or a cheap fruit peeler from the pasar malam. A fruit peeler is really useful, especially the one that can julienne fruits or veggies (you can julienne potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, mangoes, etc etc for your camp dinners). all are lightweight too. The reason I say 2 moras is that you can always gift one away - they make great gifts to local hosts/guides.

have fun on your trip.

ps: I would leave the choppers behind on such trips.
I would agree with vespa brother on this.

The working knife you are looking for is a survival knife. Good for camping trips because of the weight u save on ur backpack.

But as vespa said, you would be better off buying a inexpensive one in china.

Those really good survival knives like the GSO 5.1 are God tier for emergency planners/ hobby like me. because u know they will hold out when u need them to last.

But i wouldnt bring my "dragon blade" overseas because scared losing them. I waitied 1 year for my GSO 5.1...
Thank you guys. Great advice.
But seeing so many nice knives in the thread, I may just buy one Schrade SCHF3N just because I like the looks of it. Hopefully the poison does not run too deep.
retlif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #8120

Thank you guys. Great advice.
But seeing so many nice knives in the thread, I may just buy one Schrade SCHF3N just because I like the looks of it. Hopefully the poison does not run too deep.
that might just be a catalyst for better steel and blades. That Shrade looks like the CRK green beret homage

if you want a free knife - get a metal detector and go to MacRitchie (there's a CRK professional soldier somewhere within a 2km radius of Terentang Trail near the Ranger Hut and there is a Spyderco Manix 2 S110V along Brickland - (ex) Bulim Cemetary (possibly in the drain under the PIE). Or so I heard
anvil_den likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 22-09-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Old 21-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #8121
High Supremacy Member

Recommend Morakniv, like this one: http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FT1...-rubber-handle
Including shipment, well below S$100.
You will definitely have to pack it with your check-in luggage.
This knifecenter, all their reflected price is in USD right?

Anyone has any experience buying from them b4? If my item requires permit, how do i work with them if i can submit an application on my own?
Old 22-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #8122

that might just be a catalyst for better steel and blades. That Shrade looks like the CRK green beret homage

if you want a free knife - get a metal detector and go to MacRitchie (there's a CRK professional soldier someone within a 2km radius of Terentang Trail near the Ranger Hut and there is a Spyderco Manix 2 S110V along Brickland - (ex) Bulim Cemetary (possibly in the drain under the PIE). Or so I heard
Is there another Spydie somewhere under a rubble pile of an old cinema
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #8123

Is there another Spydie somewhere under a rubble pile of an old cinema
lum Chinese zdp - cinema is still around, so I guess it's in someone's pocket
anvil_den likes this.
Old 22-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #8124

Little pocket dump pic from last week.

This little guy slice, slice and slice putting all my other blades to shame.
Now would like to see what the bigger 3.75" VG-10 C143GP version is like... anyone has one?
squarebox likes this.
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #8125

some are allowed some aren't. also depends on the officer. if it's really long you'll go down to Cantonment. try your luck or ask SPF directly before bringing it in. Give them the pic and specs etc.

I like some of the Filipino blades sold by TFW. the only thing I don't like is:

- the horrible belt clip. That totally ruins the traditional look IMO. I'm sure it can be removed. Long blades are mostly just held by the sash.
- the rattan bindings look filmsy - they need to be woven/braided. I'm speaking from firsthand experience on rattan bindings - if they're just wrapped without being woven/braided, they will come loose over time due to expansion and friction.

Do get it - In my opinion, the 13" knife should be ok, it looks like a parang and parangs are permissible. It is probably a parang-type blade. I would be keen to test one should you get it in and want to show it.
Stevejobless likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 23-09-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Old 23-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #8126

some are allowed some aren't. also depends on the officer. if it's really long you'll go down to Cantonment. try your luck or ask SPF directly before bringing it in. Give them the pic and specs etc.

I like some of the Filipino blades sold by TFW. the only thing I don't like is:

- the horrible belt clip. That totally ruins the traditional look IMO. I'm sure it can be removed. Long blades are mostly just held by the sash.
- the rattan bindings look filmsy - they need to be woven/braided. I'm speaking from firsthand experience on rattan bindings - if they're just wrapped without being woven/braided, they will come loose over time due to expansion and friction.

Do get it - In my opinion, the 13" knife should be ok, it looks like a parang and parangs are permissible. It is probably a parang-type blade. I would be keen to test one should you get it in and want to show it.
Agree with the rattan bindings. They tend to come loose with use. Will probably replace them with hemp or sinew if I eventually decide to get the blade.
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #8127

Agree with the rattan bindings. They tend to come loose with use. Will probably replace them with hemp or sinew if I eventually decide to get the blade.
do you know how to tie them? like on native sheaths (simpeh)? I need help with tieing some on my scabbard so I can thread a rope belt through (ala orang asli parang carry).
Old 23-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #8128

do you know how to tie them? like on native sheaths (simpeh)? I need help with tieing some on my scabbard so I can thread a rope belt through (ala orang asli parang carry).
Use the method describe here:

vespaguy likes this.
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #8129

Anyone know of any knife rehandling services for kitchen knives? I found an old handaless knife at home and I am thinking of 'reviving' it.
DBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #8130

Anyone know of any knife rehandling services for kitchen knives? I found an old handaless knife at home and I am thinking of 'reviving' it.
pic and value of the knife? I'm sure some hobbyist may try. Few in Singapore do this, but I know there's a chef that does work on wusthoff/henckel knives - ask Razorsharp for his contact. No idea on price or workmanship either.

you don't want your handle to be worth more than your knife, unless for sentimental reasons.

if you want to send it out to the US/Europe/elsewhere - many knifemakers/hobbyists do that.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.