HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #8146

Hi knife experts:

Just a quick question:
Does anyone have any experiences with CKF knives? i came across the Gratch which thought was nice but im not very sure if the high price is justified.

I own reate, benchmade, zts and spydies and i was wondering does the extra cost for a CKF really translates to that much of a qualtiy difference? i mean i can easily buy two good quality production knife for one CKF knife.

Thanks in advance!
Was looking at Gratch and T90 too as in my last reply before I saw yours.. Frankly, hardly any knives are actually worth the value they are sold for. I will wait... if they don't sell out in 3 months time (which I am hedging that they won't)-- there will be a drop of these ~$375 knives to maybe $325?.... still not moving and none of their overseas distro are taking in more -- then maybe a $275 or even less. Resale value hasn't been high for many of their knives either-- so cna probably look out on forums for something lower than original price after awhile...
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #8147

Was looking at Gratch and T90 too as in my last reply before I saw yours.. Frankly, hardly any knives are actually worth the value they are sold for. I will wait... if they don't sell out in 3 months time (which I am hedging that they won't)-- there will be a drop of these ~$375 knives to maybe $325?.... still not moving and none of their overseas distro are taking in more -- then maybe a $275 or even less. Resale value hasn't been high for many of their knives either-- so cna probably look out on forums for something lower than original price after awhile...
Hi anvil_den, in the end i did pull the trigger and ordered one. Will let you all know how it is Based on the Sukhoi 2.0, i doubt it will go so low as 325. Even the Daboia which doesnt seem that popular is only a 10 dollars discount
anvil_den likes this.
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #8148

Anybody knows if this Schrade model is legal to import?

http://taylorbrandsllc.com/collectio...op-point-blade

Advertising video:

I like the design and the short length (2.4") is just nice for everyday use, but the fact that it looks a lot like a switchblade / flick knife / auto is cause for concern.

Technically, it's not a flick knife or switchblade because pushing the button only disengages the lock, and the other hand is still needed to pivot the blade out of the handle. Which makes it look like this knife was specially designed to comply with stricter laws in other parts of the world where one-handed opening knives are not allowed. But of course, our men in blue will still have the last say.

Any thoughts?
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #8149

Hi anvil_den, in the end i did pull the trigger and ordered one. Will let you all know how it is Based on the Sukhoi 2.0, i doubt it will go so low as 325. Even the Daboia which doesnt seem that popular is only a 10 dollars discount
Oh yes please.. do update here on the Gratch
Get on their newsletter email-- time to time there's more "special dealts" there. My friend got one of the Daboia . Now its back to 230.. but at the point when he got it-- it was knocked down to I think ~170-185....a 2 wk window or so
But honestly that one is not worth the $$ imo...even when the price was lowered.
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #8150
Master Member

Anybody knows if this Schrade model is legal to import?

http://taylorbrandsllc.com/collectio...op-point-blade

Advertising video:

I like the design and the short length (2.4") is just nice for everyday use, but the fact that it looks a lot like a switchblade / flick knife / auto is cause for concern.

Technically, it's not a flick knife or switchblade because pushing the button only disengages the lock, and the other hand is still needed to pivot the blade out of the handle. Which makes it look like this knife was specially designed to comply with stricter laws in other parts of the world where one-handed opening knives are not allowed. But of course, our men in blue will still have the last say.

Any thoughts?
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #8151

appears like a button lock mechanism - allen elishewitz uses that on his custom folders. they seem to also include an additional 'lawks' type lock as well...
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #8152

Hais.. just lost my 0566BW. grew very attached to the 1y/o knife. wondering what should I get as a replacement..
FriedPadThai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:37 AM   #8153

This knife is totally primitive and from the mail u attached, that is green light , I think.
elingtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #8154

Hais.. just lost my 0566BW. grew very attached to the 1y/o knife. wondering what should I get as a replacement..
I got a couple of knives for sale

What are your parameters/likes/dislikes?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #8155

I got a couple of knives for sale

What are your parameters/likes/dislikes?
Looking for a smaller, lighter hard use knife. Maybe 3 inches or less. Currently looking at the Spyderco Techno but cutleryshoppe only has the s30v one in stock at the moment. What do you have for sale!!

Last edited by FriedPadThai; 02-10-2015 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #8156

Looking for a smaller, lighter hard use knife. Maybe 3 inches or less. Currently looking at the Spyderco Techno but cutleryshoppe only has the s30v one in stock at the moment. What do you have for sale!!
Might I suggest the spyderco paramilitary 2 or a zt0801(if you don't mind carrying sth a little bigger)? Those are good knives
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #8157
Master Member

Why not the Spyderco Dice? CutleryShoppe also has it at a good price and it is of a similar form factor to the Techno. It is still in CTS-XHP instead of S30V.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the CF pattern is fugly as hell, but YMMV.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #8158

Might I suggest the spyderco paramilitary 2 or a zt0801(if you don't mind carrying sth a little bigger)? Those are good knives
Honestly am very intrigued by the PM2, but the handle length seems off to me. Also, big blades seem to have a scare factor behind them and I don't like to have to keep explaining why i like knives to people who think they only can be used to harm others. I like the 801 too, but it'll get pretty heavy during work especially when i have my multi tool on the same side of my pants

Funnily I'm really diggin both the G10 coated and the new LW coated Manix 2.

Anyone can comment on the BD1 steel?

Why not the Spyderco Dice? CutleryShoppe also has it at a good price and it is of a similar form factor to the Techno. It is still in CTS-XHP instead of S30V.

The only bad thing I have to say about it is that the CF pattern is fugly as hell, but YMMV.
Looks pretty cool and the Domino is drawing me in as well. I agree that the CF looks pretty ugly though.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #8159

Honestly am very intrigued by the PM2, but the handle length seems off to me. Also, big blades seem to have a scare factor behind them and I don't like to have to keep explaining why i like knives to people who think they only can be used to harm others. I like the 801 too, but it'll get pretty heavy during work especially when i have my multi tool on the same side of my pants

Funnily I'm really diggin both the G10 coated and the new LW coated Manix 2.

Anyone can comment on the BD1 steel?

Looks pretty cool and the Domino is drawing me in as well. I agree that the CF looks pretty ugly though.
801 is heavy. but very ergonomic and solid. People will get scared but it's well made, ti handles, bearing assisted flipper and oh..ELMAX steel. The only downside is the black clip (Todd Rexford had to swallow that). For USD200, it can't be beat.

Manix LW - flat handles and thin. yay or nay depending on what you like. sometimes a narrower but fatter handle works better. Manix has a big flat wide blade - scarier IMO than 801. It looks like the kitchen utility knife - and most criminals like kitchen blades. I love it for food prep.

BD-1 - no experience, but it's a basic 440C type steel.

PM2 - compression lock. yes, depending on the width of your palm, it may have a longish handle (I personally preferred the handle length of PM1 but most people will say that the PM2 is a huge improvement over PM1). I think it's more ergonomic than Manix.

Try looking for a FFG Delica in VG10. That'll work perfect as your 3" EDC blade.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #8160

Cts bd1 is one grade above Aus8. It has higher carbon content. More edge retention and more corrosion resistance. Equivalent to Aus10 or 440C.
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.