HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #8176

New comer questions

Hi all,

I am new to this thread/forum. Currently thinking of buying a spyderco knife, the option I have in mind are: Ambitious, Dragonfly2, Delica 4, Chapparal or Sage1/3, basically aiming for EDC carry with short blade and non-threatening looks. But have some questions on where should I buy from:

1. are the online retailers mentioned in this thread reliable? such as kinfecenter.com, cutleryshoppe.com? Would I face any risk with the custom when package arrive?
2. Has anyone bought from edgepedition.com? Looks like a singapore based online retailer but do not know their reputation.
3. Any other brick/mortar shop I can visit besides hock-gift ship or sheares to see or buy the real thing?

Really appreciate if someone can help to answer above. Thanks a lot!
gluedtoscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #8177
Master Member

Hi all,

I am new to this thread/forum. Currently thinking of buying a spyderco knife, the option I have in mind are: Ambitious, Dragonfly2, Delica 4, Chapparal or Sage1/3, basically aiming for EDC carry with short blade and non-threatening looks. But have some questions on where should I buy from:

1. are the online retailers mentioned in this thread reliable? such as kinfecenter.com, cutleryshoppe.com? Would I face any risk with the custom when package arrive?
2. Has anyone bought from edgepedition.com? Looks like a singapore based online retailer but do not know their reputation.
3. Any other brick/mortar shop I can visit besides hock-gift ship or sheares to see or buy the real thing?

Really appreciate if someone can help to answer above. Thanks a lot!
1) Yes. USA online retailers are generally reliable. Just make sure to buy from the more recognized sites. I'll give a small list: BladeHQ, Knifecenter, Knifeworks, CutleryShoppe, KnivesShipFree, Amazon, etc.

Just be sure to do your research when it comes to some unknown sites.

I have posted a screencap in one of my previous replies from the SPF. As long as it is a manual folding knife, it will be fine.

2) Edgepedition seems to be okay reputation-wise. But I cannot speak for local retailers as I get all my stuff online. Generally, it will be more expensive to buy from local retailers.

3) Black-Tactical is one of the other brick-and-mortar shop I know. IIRC, they have some Spydercos/Benchmades (I remember seeing a Delica on the display case) but they do not list them on their website. They do not have a huge selection, so maybe it'll be a good idea to call/email them.

Nalno also seems to have a showroom, but I have no idea where that is.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #8178

Hey guys. I am looking to get my 1st EDC folding knife. Looking at the crkt heiho or the smith n wesson tatical.

Any opinion on those. Am a newbie so any advice is appreciated.
chaozzzsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #8179
Master Member

Hey guys. I am looking to get my 1st EDC folding knife. Looking at the crkt heiho or the smith n wesson tatical.

Any opinion on those. Am a newbie so any advice is appreciated.
The CRKT Heiho is pretty good, but the problem is it is assisted. I've seen people sell it online locally, so I'm not too sure what is the consensus on it. The good thing is that it is easily deassisted without causing any problems to the knife.

As for S&W in general, I do not really recommend them. But the good thing is, Black-Tactical has them available, so you can go down there and try it out.

They both have Chinese steels, so do not expect too much out of them.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #8180

Bought my ZT0801 from them without any problems, quick message response time too, which is always nice.
Siluriform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #8181

1) Yes. USA online retailers are generally reliable. Just make sure to buy from the more recognized sites. I'll give a small list: BladeHQ, Knifecenter, Knifeworks, CutleryShoppe, KnivesShipFree, Amazon, etc.

Just be sure to do your research when it comes to some unknown sites.

I have posted a screencap in one of my previous replies from the SPF. As long as it is a manual folding knife, it will be fine.

2) Edgepedition seems to be okay reputation-wise. But I cannot speak for local retailers as I get all my stuff online. Generally, it will be more expensive to buy from local retailers.

3) Black-Tactical is one of the other brick-and-mortar shop I know. IIRC, they have some Spydercos/Benchmades (I remember seeing a Delica on the display case) but they do not list them on their website. They do not have a huge selection, so maybe it'll be a good idea to call/email them.

Nalno also seems to have a showroom, but I have no idea where that is.
Thanks to all who replied me!

Last edited by gluedtoscreen; 09-10-2015 at 10:02 PM..
gluedtoscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #8182

The CRKT Heiho is pretty good, but the problem is it is assisted. I've seen people sell it online locally, so I'm not too sure what is the consensus on it. The good thing is that it is easily deassisted without causing any problems to the knife.

As for S&W in general, I do not really recommend them. But the good thing is, Black-Tactical has them available, so you can go down there and try it out.

They both have Chinese steels, so do not expect too much out of them.
Forgi e my noobness buy Why is assisted opening a problem? I thought e law only prohibits switchblade and automatic? Any member here have got good recommendations or selling any nice EDC??
Old 10-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #8183
Master Member

Forgi e my noobness buy Why is assisted opening a problem? I thought e law only prohibits switchblade and automatic? Any member here have got good recommendations or selling any nice EDC??
The thing with assisted opening knives is that it is a grey area and no one knows fully what is allowed.

For the Heiho, the mechanism (OverLAWKs or whatever it is called) is a spring bar thingy at the back of the knife that propels it out. On paper, it does seem like it should be prohibited, but I have seen people sell it. Besides, deassisting is easy and causes no tolerance problems to the knife unlike Kershaw's Speedsafe.

If you ever buy it online, you might want to check with the retailer and see if they can remove it for you.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #8184

The thing with assisted opening knives is that it is a grey area and no one knows fully what is allowed.

For the Heiho, the mechanism (OverLAWKs or whatever it is called) is a spring bar thingy at the back of the knife that propels it out. On paper, it does seem like it should be prohibited, but I have seen people sell it. Besides, deassisting is easy and causes no tolerance problems to the knife unlike Kershaw's Speedsafe.

If you ever buy it online, you might want to check with the retailer and see if they can remove it for you.
Just bit the bullet and got a CRKT Nirk Tighe 2, kinda ex for my 1st purchase but with its better blade, i think it is a better investment.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #8185

BladeHQ

CutleryShoppe

KnivesShipFree

BTW, has anyone tried ordering from Knife Depot before?
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #8186
Master Member

BladeHQ

CutleryShoppe

KnivesShipFree

BTW, has anyone tried ordering from Knife Depot before?
I used a forwarding agent to buy off these sites. BladeHQ sometimes has the lowest prices for some knives and good CS, CutleryShoppe is up and working for me, and KSF is mainly for GEC and higher end traditional knives; I would not buy Benchmades or any other mainstream brands from them.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #8187

Hi
Any forwarder agent can recommend? Pm me if u think that is better ways to tell me. I mostly use A/O knife as Edc, normally get some lower cost knives like tac force & mtech, for more expensive knife, I just keep it. I bought some of the knives from Amazon seller and sent back to my country, never try sent to sg, not sure the law here, even I have A/O I will just keep it. For me I get A/O knife from urbantoolhaus local seller here, although price a little bit but I think like trouble go P.S. ... if your life is in danger, I still think A/O knife is better, the different between used 2s open the knife and 5s open the knife !!!... you will know which is better
elingtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #8188

Hi
Any forwarder agent can recommend? Pm me if u think that is better ways to tell me. I mostly use A/O knife as Edc, normally get some lower cost knives like tac force & mtech, for more expensive knife, I just keep it. I bought some of the knives from Amazon seller and sent back to my country, never try sent to sg, not sure the law here, even I have A/O I will just keep it. For me I get A/O knife from urbantoolhaus local seller here, although price a little bit but I think like trouble go P.S. ... if your life is in danger, I still think A/O knife is better, the different between used 2s open the knife and 5s open the knife !!!... you will know which is better
Haha... I don't think that's the case. Simple is best. Assisted opening = more components that can fail. The greatest tool is one that the user is very familiar with. Manual flippers can flip just as fast fyi. Just my 0.02
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #8189
Master Member

Hi

If your life is in danger, you should run first. It is never a good idea to take on people with a folding knife.

Even so, a fixed blade or a "Wave" opening knife will be faster than an A/O.

But again, please do not carry your folders with the intention of a "self defense tool". I cannot stress that enough. In the USA, it might be a more viable concept for guys to pair a tactical knife with their CCW.

Here in Singapore, we are really blessed to have safe streets. There is no need to risk it and bring a knife and possibly bring a bad reputation to the knife collecting community in Singapore.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #8190

If your life is in danger, you should run first. It is never a good idea to take on people with a folding knife.

Even so, a fixed blade or a "Wave" opening knife will be faster than an A/O.

But again, please do not carry your folders with the intention of a "self defense tool". I cannot stress that enough. In the USA, it might be a more viable concept for guys to pair a tactical knife with their CCW.

Here in Singapore, we are really blessed to have safe streets. There is no need to risk it and bring a knife and possibly bring a bad reputation to the knife collecting community in Singapore.
To add on, carrying a knife (even for self defence) can be construed as premeditation. Nuff said.
anvil_den likes this.

Last edited by mamba2012; 11-10-2015 at 07:31 AM..
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.