HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #8176

The thing with assisted opening knives is that it is a grey area and no one knows fully what is allowed.

For the Heiho, the mechanism (OverLAWKs or whatever it is called) is a spring bar thingy at the back of the knife that propels it out. On paper, it does seem like it should be prohibited, but I have seen people sell it. Besides, deassisting is easy and causes no tolerance problems to the knife unlike Kershaw's Speedsafe.

If you ever buy it online, you might want to check with the retailer and see if they can remove it for you.
Just bit the bullet and got a CRKT Nirk Tighe 2, kinda ex for my 1st purchase but with its better blade, i think it is a better investment.
chaozzzsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #8177

1) Yes. USA online retailers are generally reliable. Just make sure to buy from the more recognized sites. I'll give a small list: BladeHQ, Knifecenter, Knifeworks, CutleryShoppe, KnivesShipFree, Amazon, etc.
BladeHQ

CutleryShoppe

KnivesShipFree

BTW, has anyone tried ordering from Knife Depot before?
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #8178
Master Member

BladeHQ

CutleryShoppe

KnivesShipFree

BTW, has anyone tried ordering from Knife Depot before?
I used a forwarding agent to buy off these sites. BladeHQ sometimes has the lowest prices for some knives and good CS, CutleryShoppe is up and working for me, and KSF is mainly for GEC and higher end traditional knives; I would not buy Benchmades or any other mainstream brands from them.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #8179

Hi
Any forwarder agent can recommend? Pm me if u think that is better ways to tell me. I mostly use A/O knife as Edc, normally get some lower cost knives like tac force & mtech, for more expensive knife, I just keep it. I bought some of the knives from Amazon seller and sent back to my country, never try sent to sg, not sure the law here, even I have A/O I will just keep it. For me I get A/O knife from urbantoolhaus local seller here, although price a little bit but I think like trouble go P.S. ... if your life is in danger, I still think A/O knife is better, the different between used 2s open the knife and 5s open the knife !!!... you will know which is better
elingtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #8180

Hi
Any forwarder agent can recommend? Pm me if u think that is better ways to tell me. I mostly use A/O knife as Edc, normally get some lower cost knives like tac force & mtech, for more expensive knife, I just keep it. I bought some of the knives from Amazon seller and sent back to my country, never try sent to sg, not sure the law here, even I have A/O I will just keep it. For me I get A/O knife from urbantoolhaus local seller here, although price a little bit but I think like trouble go P.S. ... if your life is in danger, I still think A/O knife is better, the different between used 2s open the knife and 5s open the knife !!!... you will know which is better
Haha... I don't think that's the case. Simple is best. Assisted opening = more components that can fail. The greatest tool is one that the user is very familiar with. Manual flippers can flip just as fast fyi. Just my 0.02
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #8181
Master Member

Hi

If your life is in danger, you should run first. It is never a good idea to take on people with a folding knife.

Even so, a fixed blade or a "Wave" opening knife will be faster than an A/O.

But again, please do not carry your folders with the intention of a "self defense tool". I cannot stress that enough. In the USA, it might be a more viable concept for guys to pair a tactical knife with their CCW.

Here in Singapore, we are really blessed to have safe streets. There is no need to risk it and bring a knife and possibly bring a bad reputation to the knife collecting community in Singapore.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #8182

If your life is in danger, you should run first. It is never a good idea to take on people with a folding knife.

Even so, a fixed blade or a "Wave" opening knife will be faster than an A/O.

But again, please do not carry your folders with the intention of a "self defense tool". I cannot stress that enough. In the USA, it might be a more viable concept for guys to pair a tactical knife with their CCW.

Here in Singapore, we are really blessed to have safe streets. There is no need to risk it and bring a knife and possibly bring a bad reputation to the knife collecting community in Singapore.
To add on, carrying a knife (even for self defence) can be construed as premeditation. Nuff said.
anvil_den likes this.

Last edited by mamba2012; 11-10-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Old 11-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #8183

Any comments on the Nirk Tighe 2? Love the design and the fact that it is lightweight makes it great for a EDC.

I will also will getting the Reates Horizon D-TI in a couple of months time, this is for collection not for EDC, any opinions on this as well?
chaozzzsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #8184

Any comments on the Nirk Tighe 2? Love the design and the fact that it is lightweight makes it great for a EDC.

I will also will getting the Reates Horizon D-TI in a couple of months time, this is for collection not for EDC, any opinions on this as well?
No comments on the Nirk Tighe 2 as I haven't owned/held 11. Why not you share a review on it once you've held/played/used it enough?

Collect what you love and you will be happy. Reate and other production knives will generally not appreciate in price. In my personal opinion (feel free to ignore it). Collecting in the long run will need to have some sort of sustainability. Buying and selling are part of the hobby. Productions are fine, but don't get like 50 productions. If you ever intend to spend that amount.. U might wanna consider customs.

Last edited by mamba2012; 12-10-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Old 13-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #8185
Master Member

For the Nirk Tighe, you are probably paying more for design than the steel itself. At that price point, AUS-8 is probably below average.

But please do not interpret my comment as negative. There are other knives around that price point that uses AUS-8 that might seem to be overpay.

The Boker Kwaiken is around $100+ (depending on which version), and it uses AUS-8. It is still a popular knife because of the design.

CRKT also has another knife that I like that is AUS-8, but expensive, which is the BT-70. It is designed by the legendary Bob Terzuola and it looks really damn cool.

Al-Mar is also another maker that makes expensive knives that uses AUS-8. But for their case, I believe you will be paying for quality as I have heard good stuff about their AUS-8.

As for the Nirk Tighe, you are mostly paying for design as a lockback flipper was supposedly impossible on paper, but the designers took up that challenge and made one.
Old 13-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #8186
Master Member

Hi anyone can recommend a proper sharpening kit? I am confused choosing between Lansky, KME and spyderco system. Which would be more suitable for longer blade like the 11.75" Natchez bowie? I want a consistent and professional looking grind. But not necessarily high polish. I have normal kitchen stones in the kitchen but don't want to risk ruining the bevel.
Ken Onion Work Sharp? It is essentially a mini belt grinder, but when using it you'd have to be REALLY careful not to take off too much material.

For the KME and Lansky, I'm not too sure if the arms will reach far enough for a big blade like yours. Spyderco Sharpmaker will be too small.

Free handing is also an option, but I guess you are looking for those kind of fixed angle sharpeners.
Stevejobless likes this.
Old 13-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #8187

Hi bros,

anyone can recommend me a place to get swiss army knife?
heard that hockgiftshop is more expensive.

Thank you
Tofuuuuuuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 03:11 AM   #8188

Ken Onion Work Sharp? It is essentially a mini belt grinder, but when using it you'd have to be REALLY careful not to take off too much material.

For the KME and Lansky, I'm not too sure if the arms will reach far enough for a big blade like yours. Spyderco Sharpmaker will be too small.

Free handing is also an option, but I guess you are looking for those kind of fixed angle sharpeners.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have since found the instructions for lansky and it does support sharpening for bigger blades using a 2 step process. Will look into the work sharp system too.
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #8189

WTS: NIB Kershaw 1620FL Scallion Assisted Frame Lock

Kershaw 1620FL Scallion Assisted Frame Lock Folder 2.25" Bead Blast Plain Blade, Stainless Steel Handles

Never carried, new. Comes with box. $40

Self collect @ my convenience. SMS/Whatsapp @ nine-66one-993one

Thanks for reading.
mmmmaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #8190

relisting some beautiful blades:

1. sold 2. ZT801 flipper (LNIB)

I am asking for USD210 via paypal all in. No trades pls.

3. Big Chris Bolo (used but only minor kydex scratches)

THis is a beast that will serve you well. Forget the zombie nonsense - this is a 12.5" CPM3V blade that is fast and if you're not careful, will take off your leg easily It's the knife above the parang (parang is gone).

I am asking for USD550 via paypal all in. No trades pls.

All prices firm and fair. Deal by this weekend - I can meet you at a central location.

Take both the Bolo and ZT801 and I'll throw in a discount.

Last edited by vespaguy; 18-10-2015 at 07:40 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.