HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #8206

hi all im new to knives, wanna ask if any collectors of samurai swords here and if you could share the process of obtaining the license.

thx in advance
it's at the discretion of SPF. are you sure you are ready to collect swords? you should enquire directly with SPF - generally it is better to get their position on this for your item etc. It also depends on who you are...they are less likely to approve if you are a high risk individual.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:02 PM   #8207

it's at the discretion of SPF. are you sure you are ready to collect swords? you should enquire directly with SPF - generally it is better to get their position on this for your item etc. It also depends on who you are...they are less likely to approve if you are a high risk individual.
thx for the reply.

i read through the faq n they onli say to bring the sword down for their assessment. but as i cannot bring in real weapons and sg does not have any place selling (not that i know of), i cannot get my hands on the sword since it's physically in japan. so i asked my question here hoping someone who was in a similar position as me could give me some guidance.
UtsunomiyaShion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #8208

thx for the reply.

i read through the faq n they onli say to bring the sword down for their assessment. but as i cannot bring in real weapons and sg does not have any place selling (not that i know of), i cannot get my hands on the sword since it's physically in japan. so i asked my question here hoping someone who was in a similar position as me could give me some guidance.
My advise dun collect swords lah, it will be white elephants sitting at home collecting dust... You cant bring it out etc.
deadjr likes this.
chengkhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 12:25 AM   #8209

thx for the reply.

Got link to the sword? Shinsakuto or antique?
Old 26-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #8210

General Knife Discussion

Thanks deadjr and Shikiwaru for the reply

Im just curious. How many of us in this forum actually carry a knife with you on a daily basis?

If you do, what do you usually carry and have you ever encountered any instances when ppl ask you why u carry a knife or give u weird looks?

I stick to a knife with a blade length of 2.5' or less, usually a SAK. When i take it out to cut something, i usually go to a discrete corner just to avoid weird stares hahha.

Just wanna hear ur experiences and start a mini discussion.
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #8211

Actually I carry a folder on a daily basis, came in handy a few times. But that's the thing about a knife, you won't need it until you need it. So I rather have it on me 100% of the time and only use it 10%, rather then not having it and needing it.

Haven't encountered life or death situations mind you, just everyday tasks.
I don't go for the tactical looking folders for my edc so thus far no one has given me any strange looks.
Old 27-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #8212

Actually I carry a folder on a daily basis, came in handy a few times. But that's the thing about a knife, you won't need it until you need it. So I rather have it on me 100% of the time and only use it 10%, rather then not having it and needing it.

Haven't encountered life or death situations mind you, just everyday tasks.
I don't go for the tactical looking folders for my edc so thus far no one has given me any strange looks.
nobody stares at you (I'm assuming you're the one in your avatar)??
Old 27-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #8213

anyways, those who carry won't tell

I do have the SAF bantam on me most of the time - they're great fingernail cleaners and the tweezers are super useful.
squarebox likes this.
Old 27-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #8214

I'm new here and I see spyderco quite collectible among singaporeans .

Anyways , come here mainly to sell i got a benchmade griptillian in black blade / od up for sale. need to fund an overseas trip .
Message me at 97778415 with offers if not i'll instant sell at 120 sgd .
only wear is clip wear , everything else is perfect condition .
opolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #8215
Master Member

Im just curious. How many of us in this forum actually carry a knife with you on a daily basis?

If you do, what do you usually carry and have you ever encountered any instances when ppl ask you why u carry a knife or give u weird looks?

I stick to a knife with a blade length of 2.5' or less, usually a SAK. When i take it out to cut something, i usually go to a discrete corner just to avoid weird stares hahha.

I will not comment on anything specific, but I can tell you about the great knowledge passed down to me during my NSF days: "Do but don't get caught".

This applies to everything. Singapore is definitely not vice-free; I have seen people carrying the 4-letter V-word item around.

If you do get caught, please have a good reason/explanation beforehand.
Stevejobless likes this.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #8216

In case anyone is interested. All prices firm and fair unless you buy more than one, then I'll throw in a small discount (depending on the configuration). Thanks for looking

1. Marfione Custom Anax integral framelock, stonewashed blade. NIB. Box, papers, cert. This is a phenomenal folder - a ground-breaker of sorts. A full custom integral at this price is hard to find. USD[revised, see posts below]. I will also include some additional freebies like stickers and maybe a patch.

2. Hinderer handground custom long/deep swedged spearpoint XM18 3.5 with Duratech 20C blade (sterile satin blade - Gen 3). Non-flipper. Black G10 scale. Mint from maker. Perfect action, sharpness and fit and finish. Does not come with the pictured skull tab as it was sold off separately. The regular tab has been reinstalled. Also, this deep swedge version is very rare - don't confuse with regular spearpoint. USD[revised, see posts below].

3. Spyderco Domino with custom spaceman deep carry titanium clip. USD[revised, see posts below].

(BTW, a new Domino w/o the custom titanium clip is already USD210 + shipping, the clip itself will cost you another USD20 plus shipping).

squarebox and Stevejobless like this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 11-11-2015 at 11:57 AM..
Old 28-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #8217

Got a question for you guy, which is the better tool for camping in southeast Asia, a machete/parang or kukri?

This will be a full on camp trip, meaning tents on ground or hammocks between trees type.

Will most likely need to clear an area for sleeping and find/chop for firewood.

We will be needing to hike about 8-10 km so weight will be an issue.
Old 28-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #8218

Got a question for you guy, which is the better tool for camping in southeast Asia, a machete/parang or kukri?

This will be a full on camp trip, meaning tents on ground or hammocks between trees type.

Will most likely need to clear an area for sleeping and find/chop for firewood.

We will be needing to hike about 8-10 km so weight will be an issue.
parang for all seasons and for all reasons. or my Big Chris bolo Add a folding saw for minimal weight but maximum gains.
Old 28-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #8219

Great question esp for a knife thread!

I started to carry for utility and emergency use. First carried a Spyderco Dragonfly because it's small and waterproof. Weird looks/comments when I use it.

Upgraded to a Manix 2 for awhile because of its quick deployment.

Over time I realize it's not very practical to carry a more-than-cheap knife that well is purely a knife. The utility argument isn't very strong. EDCing one and worse having to go through immigration/security not knowing if they'll confiscate your knife or suspect you is not worth it.

So got myself a Spyderco Clipitool with Serrated Blade. It's very small, difficult to open one handed but as its name suggests is more of a tool. You can get the scissors or bottle opener/screw driver as well.

The serrated blade covers most cutting task I.e. ropes, webbing etc.

But mainly because it's very small.

Gifted my gf a Spyderco H1 Ladybug to couple with a Maratac AAA SS flashlight to complete the tool feel.

I would not even worry about an SAK if you ask me. It's a multitool and yes, it's a tool that has multiple functions haha. I carry a Victorinox Spartan with my keys and have never been questioned.

Any item can be lethal if used the right way. But it's good to err on the safe side and get a truly tooly-knife hehe.

PS: I love the NS Victorinox Bantam. One of the best minimalist tools. Able to open cans is superb.
thegaunlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #8220

props for meself:

LNIB (taken out to flip and photo):

ZT0801 collab with Todd Rexford. Second run - ultra smooth flipping action. Centered etc. Box papers.

Asking for only USD[revised, see posts below] which means it's cheaper than if you bought it yourself even without factoring shipping. You can't get it cheaper. Self collect at bukit panjang area.

trenat likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 11-11-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.