HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #8221

Got a question for you guy, which is the better tool for camping in southeast Asia, a machete/parang or kukri?

This will be a full on camp trip, meaning tents on ground or hammocks between trees type.

Will most likely need to clear an area for sleeping and find/chop for firewood.

We will be needing to hike about 8-10 km so weight will be an issue.
parang for all seasons and for all reasons. or my Big Chris bolo Add a folding saw for minimal weight but maximum gains.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #8222

Thanks deadjr and Shikiwaru for the reply

Im just curious. How many of us in this forum actually carry a knife with you on a daily basis?

If you do, what do you usually carry and have you ever encountered any instances when ppl ask you why u carry a knife or give u weird looks?

I stick to a knife with a blade length of 2.5' or less, usually a SAK. When i take it out to cut something, i usually go to a discrete corner just to avoid weird stares hahha.

Just wanna hear ur experiences and start a mini discussion.
Great question esp for a knife thread!

I started to carry for utility and emergency use. First carried a Spyderco Dragonfly because it's small and waterproof. Weird looks/comments when I use it.

Upgraded to a Manix 2 for awhile because of its quick deployment.

Over time I realize it's not very practical to carry a more-than-cheap knife that well is purely a knife. The utility argument isn't very strong. EDCing one and worse having to go through immigration/security not knowing if they'll confiscate your knife or suspect you is not worth it.

So got myself a Spyderco Clipitool with Serrated Blade. It's very small, difficult to open one handed but as its name suggests is more of a tool. You can get the scissors or bottle opener/screw driver as well.

The serrated blade covers most cutting task I.e. ropes, webbing etc.

But mainly because it's very small.

Gifted my gf a Spyderco H1 Ladybug to couple with a Maratac AAA SS flashlight to complete the tool feel.

I would not even worry about an SAK if you ask me. It's a multitool and yes, it's a tool that has multiple functions haha. I carry a Victorinox Spartan with my keys and have never been questioned.

Any item can be lethal if used the right way. But it's good to err on the safe side and get a truly tooly-knife hehe.

PS: I love the NS Victorinox Bantam. One of the best minimalist tools. Able to open cans is superb.
thegaunlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #8223

props for meself:

LNIB (taken out to flip and photo):

ZT0801 collab with Todd Rexford. Second run - ultra smooth flipping action. Centered etc. Box papers.

Asking for only USD[revised, see posts below] which means it's cheaper than if you bought it yourself even without factoring shipping. You can't get it cheaper. Self collect at bukit panjang area.

trenat likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 11-11-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Old 29-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #8224
Master Member

props for meself:

LNIB (taken out to flip and photo):

ZT0801 collab with Todd Rexford. Second run - ultra smooth flipping action. Centered etc. Box papers.

Asking for only USD200 via paypal (that's only USD190 to me after paypal fees) which means it's cheaper than if you bought it yourself even without factoring shipping. You can't get it cheaper. Self collect at bukit panjang area.

Help you sell it abit better:

Zero Tolerance has enforced a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy quite awhile back. What this means is that retailers have to charge a minimum of a certain price on their products. So, no matter where you find it online (except for second hand), the prices will roughly be the same. You can wait till Black Friday and prices will still be the same.

This price of USD 200 is really good and it is definitely cheaper than when you get it yourself. Even if it is the same price, you don't have to wait to get the knife.
vespaguy likes this.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #8225

Zero Tolerance has enforced a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy quite awhile back. What this means is that retailers have to charge a minimum of a certain price on their products. So, no matter where you find it online (except for second hand), the prices will roughly be the same. You can wait till Black Friday and prices will still be the same.

This price of USD 200 is really good and it is definitely cheaper than when you get it yourself. Even if it is the same price, you don't have to wait to get the knife.
Thanks Shikiwaru
Old 29-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #8226
Master Member

Thanks Shikiwaru
No problem. Another company that also did that was Benchmade. This was quite a controversy in the US. Spyderco does not enforce such things, which is why you see prices low as hell on Amazon.

What happened was brick and mortar stores lose out in business when the MAP policy was absent. This was why KSF (who also operates with a physical store) stopped carrying Spydercos and is trying to clear them all now.

With that, I would say for our local market here, it is better for us to support each other and buy knives off fellow collectors as far as possible instead of introducing new stock in the market.
Stevejobless likes this.
Old 29-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #8227

Yes, I know there are a lot of good blades in the hands of many Singapore collectors from amazing swords to amazing customs to extensive collections of a mixed bag of production knives

These days, I'm sticking to my regular EDC rotation knives hence just selling off the others.
squarebox likes this.
Old 31-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #8228

I'm ready to deliver to the buyer this weekend. Come get your ZT0801. You'll be pleased you bought it
Old 31-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #8229

Rainy Day Thoughts

Well, I like rain. I love the smell of air after a nice long thunderstorm, when the air is fresh (bukit panjang, not sure about other places). Negative ions abound, helps to make life just a bit better. Ok, on to sharp things...

Many have asked, how often do you use your blades, do you EDC, what do you use them for? etc....

My most used blades are my kitchen knife (a nice gyuto), my gifted douk-douk (a slipjoint) and my EDC, a modded poboy folding puukko (enzo birk scandi folder). As I have limited countertop space, I use a small tembusu chopping board and my douk-douk for lots of food preparation. If I need to cut something with cleaner cuts, I switch to my gyuto. Both are easy to sharpen (my waterstones are right next to my sink) although the douk-douk needs more reprofiling (softer steel and a carbon blade to boot). My folding puukko gets all the 'cleaner', drier work - cleaning out a folder requires more effort so for dressing and preparing meat, it's just easier to use my gyuto and douk-douk.

What about you?

BTW, where can I watch the RWC finals at midnight tonight? Poor uncle here doesn't have a sports channel (reminiscing the days when Mediacorp would show RWC finals on free-to-air sports channel)...
Old 31-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #8230
Master Member

Well, I like rain. I love the smell of air after a nice long thunderstorm, when the air is fresh (bukit panjang, not sure about other places). Negative ions abound, helps to make life just a bit better. Ok, on to sharp things...

Many have asked, how often do you use your blades, do you EDC, what do you use them for? etc....

My most used blades are my kitchen knife (a nice gyuto), my gifted douk-douk (a slipjoint) and my EDC, a modded poboy folding puukko (enzo birk scandi folder). As I have limited countertop space, I use a small tembusu chopping board and my douk-douk for lots of food preparation. If I need to cut something with cleaner cuts, I switch to my gyuto. Both are easy to sharpen (my waterstones are right next to my sink) although the douk-douk needs more reprofiling (softer steel and a carbon blade to boot). My folding puukko gets all the 'cleaner', drier work - cleaning out a folder requires more effort so for dressing and preparing meat, it's just easier to use my gyuto and douk-douk.

What about you?

BTW, where can I watch the RWC finals at midnight tonight? Poor uncle here doesn't have a sports channel (reminiscing the days when Mediacorp would show RWC finals on free-to-air sports channel)...
I'm a no outdoors person, but my go to has always been my Delica 4.

For RWC, you can try reddit. I don't follow that sport, so I'm not too sure which is the best sub for it. You'd probably have to wait till the match is closer to starting before the stream links appear.

EDIT: Follow the instructions on this link; you should get a nice HD stream.
vespaguy likes this.

Last edited by Shikiwaru; 31-10-2015 at 11:16 PM..
Old 31-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #8231

I'm a no outdoors person, but my go to has always been my Delica 4.

For RWC, you can try reddit. I don't follow that sport, so I'm not too sure which is the best sub for it. You'd probably have to wait till the match is closer to starting before the stream links appear.

EDIT: Follow the instructions on this link; you should get a nice HD stream.
thank you shikiwaru! this uncle is technologically challenged, this is my first time doing this and I am watching something now...I hope the stream is smooth during the match. This is the highlight for this weekend, since the padang rained out for the SCC7s....
Old 31-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #8232
Master Member

thank you shikiwaru! this uncle is technologically challenged, this is my first time doing this and I am watching something now...I hope the stream is smooth during the match. This is the highlight for this weekend, since the padang rained out for the SCC7s....
No problem. I was really surprised by how much streaming has improved when I first used that; never have I thought that I could watch NBA so smoothly and clearly with crappy army internet.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #8233

What about you?
Thank you vespa for sharing.

I carry the absolutely smallest victorinox as my edc and at the size smaller than that of a finger, it doesn't scare sheeple. I do own a zt0801, which I use for bbqs, prawning etc... But if I require something in between, the victorinox bantam does a great job. I have a vg-10 san mai chef knife which I purchased during my travels in Japan and I use to cut sashimi and to cook with.

Then I have my custom knife collection which are used for admiring/lying as table toys. This way, I separate my collection into users and collectibles.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #8234

WTS for Wedding Funds

Please help out a fellow knife nut. Selling my collection to fund my wedding.

1. CKF Decepticon 1 – USD$1000
• From limited run of 300
• Comes with custom M3 backspacer by Nath Customs
• COA and CKF Pouch

2. CKF Asymmetric Midi – USD$350
• #87/300
• COA and CKF Pouch

3. CKF Daboia – USD$old
• First run, blackout blade
• CKF Pouch

4. Trastetkknives Kyre – USD$1200
• Damascus blade and backspacer
• Timascus bolster and pocket clip
• Black G10 scales and anodized blue liners
• Comes with packaging and sharpening liquid as provided by maker

5. Yuna Qi 3 – USD$1100
• CF bolster and white G10 scale
• Moonglow backspacer
• GTC bearing mod by Nath Customs
• Slightly light detent, but flips extremely smoothly

6. Brous Strife Custom – USD$old
• Bolster lock conversion by Nath Custom. CF scales and pocket clip and Ti bolster
• #039/500
• COA and Brous pouch

7. Brous T4 CF – USD$460
• #119/200
• COA and Brous Pouch

8. Brous Reloader CF – USD$360
• #62/250
• COA and Brous Pouch

9. ZT 0560 Custom – USD$460
• Blade regrind, Harpoon with slight recurve by Maprik and Veff Serrations by Tom Veff
• Blue Ti hardware by MXG Gear
• CF/Blue G10 scales and CF Pocket Clip by Dnt3cks
• Blue LBS by Gray Precision
• Original box and hardware (might be incomplete, will try my best)

10. ZT 0095 – USD$330 (Reserved till Sunday)
• Custom CF pocket clip
• Only sold in Russia as of now
• Original box and hardware

11. Kershaw Bump – USD$160
• Discontinued
• Original first run with CPM154 blade
• Scuff marks on pocket clip
• Does not come with Box

12. Kershaw Tremor (Plain Edge) – USD$25
• Discontinued
• Almost brand new condition
• Original Box

13. Emerson Patriot (Plain Edge) – USD$330
• Blue Thumbdisk by Gray Precision
• Blue Ti pivot and scale screw by Nath Custom
• Custom CF bolster and Black/Gray Anso scale by Sketchen Scales Custom
• Comes with original hardware and box

14. Emerson CQC15 Custom (Plain Edge) – USD$360
• Custom Framelock conversion by Nath Customs
• Blue Ti pivot and scale screw by Nath Customs
• Black/Gray G10 Anso scale by Nath Customs
• Blue Thumbdisk by Gray Precision
• Milled Ti Clip by Nath Customs
• Comes with original hardware and box

Expect very slight scuff marks from carry unless otherwise stated. Prices are very slightly negotiable. All prices stated are already below Cost + Shipping + GST (if applicable).

Deal at Boon Keng MRT, or any location that might be convenient for both buyer and seller.

PM me or contact me at 91865582 to deal, or if you require more information or pictures. Still unable to post pics due to post count.

No obligation to confirm, I do allow viewing and handling the knife before confirmation as I believe certain specs can't be conveyed through text and pics.
trenat and vespaguy like this.

Last edited by Dryxhyl; 06-11-2015 at 06:01 PM..
Dryxhyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #8235

congrats Dryxhyl on your upcoming nuptials. That's a nice collection there and I see you're the guy who owns that Nath custom strife conversion that Nath posted on IG. Those 2 Emerson conversions should be able to sell on bladeforums - try posting there.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.