HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #8251
Master Member

Every trip I go on, nobody bothers to bring a knife and then they want to borrow my good knife and destroy the edge or use it as a hammer, etc
Literally this. Then when you try to introduce some good starter knives for them to buy, they'll say it is "expensive" when they have no qualms on dropping cash on other goods like watches.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #8252

Literally this. Then when you try to introduce some good starter knives for them to buy, they'll say it is "expensive" when they have no qualms on dropping cash on other goods like watches.
that's why it's better to go trekking with knifeknuts. everybody has their own knives, you get to field trial other knives and outgoor gear too
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #8253

Hi , any experts on classification of knives can pm me. i need to ask an opinion if my knives are classified as scheduled weapon or not. it is important please help.
neoyourlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #8254

Hi , any experts on classification of knives can pm me. i need to ask an opinion if my knives are classified as scheduled weapon or not. it is important please help.
what knives? you can PM me.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #8255

Lets talk about edges and sharpening. What sharpening system do you use? Sharpening angle and steel type? V grind or convex grind? Microbevel? How fine of a grit do you go up to? Does a high polish edge work better or a coarse one for your usage? What tests do you use to determine adequate sharpness? Printing paper? Magazine paper? toilet tissue?
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #8256

Lets talk about edges and sharpening. What sharpening system do you use? Sharpening angle and steel type? V grind or convex grind? Microbevel? How fine of a grit do you go up to? Does a high polish edge work better or a coarse one for your usage? What tests do you use to determine adequate sharpness? Printing paper? Magazine paper? toilet tissue?
I have used a variety of methods/systems. Right now I use benchstones (a variety of grits) for kitchen knives, quick touch ups on folders and long blades (like parangs). They work very well for carbon steels and steels which don't have a high amounts of vanadium carbides. The S90/110/ZDP just skips over my benchstones.

For perfectly ground edges, I have a friend who is kind enough to utilize his edgepro apex skills for me. I used to own it but the learning curve is there (plus the cleaning of the metal dust etc) and I got tired after awhile. I feel that everyone should be able to freehand.

I don't think one can freehand as consistently as a set-angle jig, UNLESS, you are sharpening for hours each day - like those togishis or professional sharpeners as you won't build muscle memory. The jigs/system help you achieve the same or better without having to invest in thousands of hours of building muscle memory.

I have a leather strop as well, to align the edge and remove the burrs.

The thing about freehand sharpening is that, I know I can pack a simple stone on a trekking trip and I can touch up my edges in the field. I don't think you can lug along an EP or a Wicked Edge or a belt sander etc on those trips.

What I'd really like is to have a nice horizontal belt sander set up (with a small footprint) and a way of having a jig installed for consistent edges. That would be the bee's knees.

As for the type of edge - it depends on the knife and application. I don't like mirror edges and I don't need my edges to split hair. I do want my edges to shave and cut well. The geometry of the blade is as important as the edge itself.
deadjr and Stevejobless like this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 08-11-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #8257

Can see from your pictures that all your knives have very well maintained or pristine edges. Wish I can free hand as that well. Only tried on my chinese kitchen cleaver. Was able to get it to shaving/ newspaper sharpness. But the grind wasn't perfect. One side is shallower and it's convex instead of v. And good knows what's the angle. But guess that's a given with free hand sharpening? Not confident enough to try on my expensive knives. Have bought a sharpmaker but it doesn't match the angles on both my coldsteels.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #8258

Can see from your pictures that all your knives have very well maintained or pristine edges. Wish I can free hand as that well. Only tried on my chinese kitchen cleaver. Was able to get it to shaving/ newspaper sharpness. But the grind wasn't perfect. One side is shallower and it's convex instead of v. And good knows what's the angle. But guess that's a given with free hand sharpening? Not confident enough to try on my expensive knives. Have bought a sharpmaker but it doesn't match the angles on both my coldsteels.
those in pics are safe queens and have never been sharpened

but it's about muscle memory. There will always be a slight convex if you freehand, unless your hands are 100% steady. A little convexing doesn't hurt, not at those levels within the 1mm edge bevel. There'lll be a slight difference as most of us are either right or left dominant. Also, it's easier to sharpen on thinner edges...if you have to sharpen edges that are 0.05" thick, there'll be a lot of metal to remove. Seems like all the 'tactical' overbuilt blades are 0.05" and above. I favour thin edges like 0.005-0.020" (estimate based on maker's proposals).

you should see the edges of my parang, convexed to zero but it aint pretty
Old 09-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #8259

I personally free hand sharpen as well. Given that i only possess a single double-sided whetstone, i start with a 3000 grit followed by 8000 grit. Able to get softer steels to hair shaving sharpness in about 20 minutes? Tried S35VN too but that really tested my patience lol and it came out alright.

Like what vespaguy mentioned, i dont think freehand sharpening allows for a consistent angle but there are definitely ways to minimize any deviations. I personally use my finger as a guide where the knife is the hypotenuse and my finger the height of the triangle
Stevejobless likes this.
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #8260

I personally free hand sharpen as well. Given that i only possess a single double-sided whetstone, i start with a 3000 grit followed by 8000 grit. Able to get softer steels to hair shaving sharpness in about 20 minutes? Tried S35VN too but that really tested my patience lol and it came out alright.

Like what vespaguy mentioned, i dont think freehand sharpening allows for a consistent angle but there are definitely ways to minimize any deviations. I personally use my finger as a guide where the knife is the hypotenuse and my finger the height of the triangle
3000/8000 is more for finishing. you need to go down to 1000 for sharpening. if you have chips, try going down to 200.

My present set up is as follows: 220 for chips/nicks. 800 for sharpening. 2000 for finishing. strop or 5000 if I have nothing better to do . Sometimes I use sandpaper if the nicks are really bad or if the edge is really thick.

If I'm lazy, I just swipe on my crock stick (ceramic) until such time when I want to spend a bit more time on the benchstones.

Certain waterstones don't seem to handle high vanadium carbides. But they are great for carbon steels and steels with less vanadium carbides.

To be honest, I know I'm not a sharpening guru, but when I'm stroking on the stones, I can pretend to be an old guy in a knife shop, sharpening away using a waterwheel and then quietly smiling when I've done a (relatively) good job
Old 09-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #8261

8000 grit? That's very high polish. Mirror finish? Does it slice well at that fine of a polish?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #8262
Master Member

I'm more of a polished edge guy for now. I use the DMT Aligner system and it works well for now.

For some reason, their super fine stone (8000 mesh) doesn't give the polish I have. So I improvise by sticking a small 5000 grit Shapton stone to the aligner and sharpening it as it is.

To finish the edge, I have previously used a hand strop with green compound. But recently, I have discovered a better way to go about my stropping. I went to Art Friend a bought a strip of balsa wood, measured and cut it so that it will fit the Aligner. I've used green compound, metal polish and some 0.5 micron paste I got off Taobao. All 3 work about the same and I'm liking the results so far.
Stevejobless likes this.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #8263

I'm liking this. 2 years ago, I use to read posts where posters were asking for help to sharpen their blades. Looks like we have an established pool of experienced sharpeners to help out or conduct classes now - esp when I see how nice those mirror edges are.

Ok, getting out now before I embarrass myself further with my old skool methods
Old 09-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #8264

What do you guys use as a sharpness test (to stop sharpening call it a day) other than shaving hair? Since different person and different part of the body has different hair thickness, I guess this test isn't too consistent. I tested cutting different types of paper and water bottles and getting inconsistent results. My folding knife is much sharper than my Bowie knife when cutting paper/ shaving but can't cut a water bottle cleanly in 2 without knocking it away. While the Bowie can do it easily. How to make it cut through a bottle easily? Is there some kind of sharpening technique for this task?
not possible. it's not the edge, it's the force and mass.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #8265

8000 grit? That's very high polish. Mirror finish? Does it slice well at that fine of a polish?
Its definitely close to mirror finish. Would definitely post pictures if i could but dont have the post count to do so.

As for sharpness test, i usually use recycled printing paper and i test with a slow and wavy cut.
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.