HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #8386

Yes. I've had customs made from David Clark. Great knife maker... Knives were made to my exact specs. There have been others here who have had custom builds commissioned by other makers. It's all about finding the right makers. Of course, top tier makers don't take custom orders. However, there are many other makers like Steve Skiff, Jason Clark, just to name a few, who do.

The pics I've posted of the knives are somewhere in this thread. Feel free to pm me if u r unable to find them.
@thebusted

Steve Skiff doesn't do custom these days, IIRC. And his books are now at 18months.

You want knives made to exact specs? you have to find either a maker that hasn't found his footing (so that means you will eat some risk) or will charge alot. When you're making one-offs, there's a lot of prototyping and R&D time and materials involved.

Fixed blades are easier - there are many makers who may take commissions for one-offs.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #8387

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone has been having a festive December.

After my search for custom knives i realize many makers don't actually sell direct to customers but instead sell their pieces at shows or through dealers. So getting a knife to your specification is terribly difficult.

Hence, our of curiosity, are there actually knife makers out there that will make you a knife based on the customer's design and specifications?
Most popular ones, their books are closed. Up and coming-- as Mamba/ Vespa said, you need to eat some risk.. Hence if you do spot one.. do some research.. especially if u see them on Instagram-- go and see who has gotten their knives. Message and ask politely and then draw your analysis. Some customers knows about their knives, some don't -- so I always try to read in between what they say...

Most time people are oriented to US knifemakers.. so more of these are overwhelmed by demands. Personally I prefer Russia, Eastern Europe and South Africa... you might first need to dig around a little more and sometimes language is a thing to overcome when communicating initially...

Last year I searched out a Bulgarian maker that uses seldom seen Vanadis 4E for my fixed camp knife.. This year Xmas pressie to myself - Custom leftie from Poland.. in my fav duck-poo green stabilise wood with matching pivot in my fav category of utilitarian blade shape in also what's one of my preferred steel, Elmax.

Hmm.. I should have ask for a black blade.. then again I hate coated blades

vespaguy likes this.

Last edited by anvil_den; 15-12-2015 at 02:25 PM..
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #8388

Most popular ones, their books are closed. Up and coming-- as Mamba/ Vespa said, you need to eat some risk.. Hence if you do spot one.. do some research.. especially if u see them on Instagram-- go and see who has gotten their knives. Message and ask politely and then draw your analysis. Some customers knows about their knives, some don't -- so I always try to read in between what they say...

Most time people are oriented to US knifemakers.. so more of these are overwhelmed by demands. Personally I prefer Russia, Eastern Europe and South Africa... you might first need to dig around a little more and sometimes language is a thing to overcome when communicating initially...

Last year I searched out a Bulgarian maker that uses seldom seen Vanadis 4E for my fixed camp knife.. This year Xmas pressie to myself - Custom leftie from Poland.. in my fav duck-poo green stabilise wood with matching pivot in my fav category of utilitarian blade shape in also what's one of my preferred steel, Elmax.

Hmm.. I should have ask for a black blade.. then again I hate coated blades

ngap si chang colour . blade shape is reminiscent of you-know-what.
Old 15-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #8389

ngap si chang colour . blade shape is reminiscent of you-know-what.
Thanks Mamba, Vespaguy and Anvil Den for guiding this young one in the knife scene.

I think what Im looking for aint exactly one-offs but more off choosing the exact materials i want on the knife and where these materials go. Even then, it's pretty difficult to find a maker who does that. Most usually sell through dealers or auctions.

I do suppose to search for these lesser known knife makers, one must look through knife forums?

Anyway nice christmas present Anvil Den
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #8390

Thanks Mamba, Vespaguy and Anvil Den for guiding this young one in the knife scene.

I think what Im looking for aint exactly one-offs but more off choosing the exact materials i want on the knife and where these materials go. Even then, it's pretty difficult to find a maker who does that. Most usually sell through dealers or auctions.

I do suppose to search for these lesser known knife makers, one must look through knife forums?

Anyway nice christmas present Anvil Den
In that case, most makers allow that. Choosing materials isn't an issue. The only issue u might encounter is the up-charge for working on them. For e.g, mother of pearl is not the cheapest material to use and some makers charge u extra on top of the material cost in case they screw it up.

Initially, you said that you wanted to design and custom do your specs. That's not the norm in the knife community among the established makers. If you want to have design input (how the blade and frame is shaped), then as vespa said, trying out newer makers is the way to go.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #8391

In that case, most makers allow that. Choosing materials isn't an issue. The only issue u might encounter is the up-charge for working on them. For e.g, mother of pearl is not the cheapest material to use and some makers charge u extra on top of the material cost in case they screw it up.

Initially, you said that you wanted to design and custom do your specs. That's not the norm in the knife community among the established makers. If you want to have design input (how the blade and frame is shaped), then as vespa said, trying out newer makers is the way to go.
I see i see, thanks Mamba. Initially I wanted to have my design inputs but I think it just makes life a little harder hahah. So I might just stick to finding a design i like first and work from there
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #8392

ok, it's more than 12 days before Xmas. But Vespa is running short on Xmas funds, so here's another bump to raise cash. Pls help ask fellow knifeknuts.

1. Marfione Anax NIB/LNIB - USD750 via paypal.

2. Spyderco Domino with Casey Lynch ti deep carry clip NIB/LNIB - USD220 via paypal.

3. Steve Kelly Titanium Sushi Stix NIB/LNIB - USD150 via paypal.

4. Combo of all 3 above - USD1050 via paypal [big big savings]

5. CRKT Ikoma Fossil PE 3.3" blade NIB - USD60 via paypal

6. Shirogorov F95 M390 with jimping and two-tone blade, carbon fibre inlays, new from 2015 Moscow show, probably (never opened it up) has the grooved ball bearing track too (like in the earlier shiros ). This M390 jimped version is rare and not easy to find. NIB - USD900 via paypal

7. Hinderer Handground Custom Spearpoint (buyer AWOL so here it is again) 20CV, non-flipper, Gen 3. Rare long and deep swedge. MINT - USD1280 via paypal.

8. Big Chris huge 12.5" bolo, CPM3V, HT by Peters. Used but excellent condition - USD550 via paypal.

and 2 stones:

9. Naniwa Superstone #2000 (yellow), used but still at least 50% - USD40 via paypal.

10. Naniwa Superstone #200 (white), used but still at least 85% - USD45 via paypal

11. take both stones for USD75 via paypal. (they are $110 and $85 respectively if new)

I may not respond if it's a low ball offer although Vespa is generally friendly and cordial and gives everyone the benefit of doubt.

Meet up to collect around bukit panjang or some agreed place.

Thanks.
less than 10 days to Xmas. Come buy your Xmas gifts from Vespa

Buy option no.4 and I'll throw in item no.5 for free! just for Xmas. Must deal before the weekend is up. USD paypal funds only (pre-payment or paypal on the spot during meetup/delivery).
Old 16-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #8393

I see i see, thanks Mamba. Initially I wanted to have my design inputs but I think it just makes life a little harder hahah. So I might just stick to finding a design i like first and work from there
Sure. Once you have some experience, you might want to move onto investing in some makers.

Light and darkness was my collaboration with David Clark. It makes the knives that much more meaningful. They are the gems of my collection because they were designed for me and they are one-offs. Nothing wrong with a fixed design knife like the snafu either with you choosing the materials. But the important thing to note is that new makers can be somewhat risky and not all of them work out. I've been burnt before too. Do your research on bladeforums and other knife forums, as well as source instagram and ask around. This will save u potential heartache from getting screwed over. This is a cool and unique hobby. Don't let some jackass makers screw it up for you.

Stevejobless likes this.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #8394

Sooo... jealous... all my knives are monochromatic boring black silver/gray or ugly green and brown at most

Dunno gt chance to reincarnate this "Eclipse" on an Estrella or not

Miss my one off now... that was the only time I ever had any of Timascus or any of these bling bling materials on a knife...

Old 16-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #8395

Sooo... jealous... all my knives are monochromatic boring black silver/gray or ugly green and brown at most

Dunno gt chance to reincarnate this "Eclipse" on an Estrella or not

Miss my one off now... that was the only time I ever had any of Timascus or any of these bling bling materials on a knife...

you don't know that you love someone till she's gone. was it worth it?

monochromatic is beautiful too, provided there are 50 shades of grey
Old 17-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #8396

Sharing my to be delivered knives soon. For those who know, these are probably my last knives as i have moved on to another hobby.

Long 2 years wait and maker book is closed also. Enjoy!!

chengkhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #8397

Another teaser...

anvil_den and GemsDemon like this.
Old 18-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #8398

Wow!
Wah.. 1 pr some more
Old 18-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #8399

Wow!
Wah.. 1 pr some more
I signed up for 2 ... So just hoot...

Old 19-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #8400

Any retail shop in Singapore selling Chris Reeve Sebenza?
freesignalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.