HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #8461
Master Member

Hey....who said they're not nice looking there was a time that I totally loved the humped blade with hole look (think delica, para but not the Native). They looked like birds to me - I dig that look. Vesuvius, Worker, Hunter - now that's a classic Spyderco. I really wished I kept my Ocelot. The new Spydies are just too expensive, I'm not sure why the price kinda like doubled.

Anyone have a PE Ocelot they want to trade me?
Yeah, I think the Delicas and the PMs are okay looking knives. There are some people who just hate the look of Spydercos and I do get it sometimes (they just like to put a damn hole in practically everything).

Newer ones may be more expensive because they are collab pieces (Positron, GB2, etc)? I certainly agree that you're not getting as much value as before.

You can compare the Mantra 2 (which sold out almost immediately it went on BladeHQ) to the Positron. They're around the same price, but the Mantra gives you a Ti-framelock and M4 steel compared to the overdone S30V and carbon fiber (which I hope is not peel-ply) that the Positron has.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #8462

says who? if fixies were illegal, we'd be tearing up our food in our kitchens instead of cutting them.

mamba will come along shortly with the link/repost of the framework of laws relevant to knife enthusiasts in Singapore.

just don't go carrying a fixie around in town - you can do the air-cutting or doritos bag cutting in the privacy and comfort of your home
http://www.spf.gov.sg/licence/frameset_AE.html

It's under the FAQ. (:
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #8463
Master Member

Thanks again.

I am looking at Benchmade Griptilian/940 Osborne and Zero Tolerance 562/801.

Which is the better model of each brand?

I am confuse about the material that make up the blade. Can you enlightened me in terms of better quality or value for money.
I can't tell you which is better, you'd have to decide on your own.

The Griptilian is the more workhorse type of knife while the 940 is the more slim and gentlemanly knife. The 0562 and 0801 are both beefy Ti-Framelocks; it only boils down to whether you like Hinderer or Rexford.

As for the steels, the regular Griptilian has 154CM, which is an okay steel and often compared to VG-10. The 940 has S30V, which is pretty much the industry benchmark steel (although nowadays it is S35VN).

The 0562 and 0801 have ELMAX. I do not have any experience with it, but I can tell you that ZT did mess up on the steel before by burning through the heat treat (or something along those lines). However, that is a long time ago and it has been fixed. From what I read, ELMAX will be the of best amongst the choices you presented.

Honestly, none of these steels are terribly bad or anything. If anything goes wrong, both Benchmade and ZT have good warranty so you're covered.

EDIT: If you end up choosing the 0801, you can just buy it off vespa. You don't have to pay for shipping and he is already selling below MAP.

However, if you decide that you like 0562 more, you can get it in pimped out G10 scales from GPknives. Just look at that blue G10...

Last edited by Shikiwaru; 04-01-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #8464

http://www.spf.gov.sg/licence/frameset_AE.html

It's under the FAQ. (:
This document had been reviewed here before. It says daggers (double edge), throwing knives and bayonets are prohibited. Hunting knives, bowie knives, diving knives, machetes, kukris and parangs are all legal and requires no license.
mamba2012 likes this.
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:00 PM   #8465

Yeah, I think the Delicas and the PMs are okay looking knives. There are some people who just hate the look of Spydercos and I do get it sometimes (they just like to put a damn hole in practically everything).

Newer ones may be more expensive because they are collab pieces (Positron, GB2, etc)? I certainly agree that you're not getting as much value as before.

You can compare the Mantra 2 (which sold out almost immediately it went on BladeHQ) to the Positron. They're around the same price, but the Mantra gives you a Ti-framelock and M4 steel compared to the overdone S30V and carbon fiber (which I hope is not peel-ply) that the Positron has.
the spyderhole comes into its own when you have gloved hands or have lost a little control/dexterity (think numbness or shivering hands) - at least this is my real world experience. When benchmade put in the hole incontravention of spyderco's trademark (the skirmish and mini skirmish), they made the mistake of chamfering the hole - this took away the tactile quality of the hole - it became slippery. The hole is more function over looks -without a thumbstud, it was also easier to sharpen the blade. The only problem is every Tom Dick and Harry (or Rhonda, Nicole and Sally) is trying to circumvent the trade mark, so you have oval holes, weird amoeba like holes etc. They're not as effective or visually appealing and structurally strong as a simple round hole (ok, oval is still ok).

yep, I hate the cheap carbon fibre that spyderco uses - the peel ply or the 1x1 (it's too one dimensional). I like 2x2 twill and contouring to give it a little more depth (3 dimensional look).

oh and @gemsdemon ELMAX is sedap! if it's heattreated to 61RC, it will be extra lazat. It's a clean steel, with good edgeholding and corrosion resistance. Doesn't have too much vanadium carbides so it's easier to sharpen and will achieve a sharper edge. Yes, there were apparently some ELmax heat treat issues at ZT, I believe this was with the 0560 folders.

Last edited by vespaguy; 04-01-2016 at 11:04 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #8466
Master Member

Warren Osborne (who designed the 940) just passed away. RIP.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #8467

Yeah, he did design quite a few folders for bench made but he's known for fine art knives, especially the interframe folders. Never handled any of his customs Nor met the man himself though.

RIP Sir

http://www.osborneknives.com/

Last edited by vespaguy; 05-01-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #8468

Ah...uncle vespa was hoping to close a sale but the stars are not aligned. For Xmas eve, uncle vespa is throwing a super knock-down price for the whole bundle. You get everything that is seen in the pictures.

USD965 via paypal, plus 4.5% = USD1,007.38 all in, just for Xmas. I can meet up and deliver today too! (Gift wrap can be included too, if you accept an old copy of ST as wrapping paper lol

Have a safe blessed and happy Xmas all EDMW knifeknuts Remember the true meaning and significance of an occasion like this, even if you're not religious
up for some air and for a limited period I will accept SGD cash as well (message me for the SGD amount as this is dependent on exchange rates).
Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #8469

Hey guys which of these do you consider require a higher level of sharpness?

Slicing magazine paper
Slicing news paper
Shaving arm hair
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #8470

Hey guys which of these do you consider require a higher level of sharpness?

Slicing magazine paper
Slicing news paper
Shaving arm hair
depends on how well the edge achieves the above.

the sharpest edge should push cut phone paper well. but will not slice meat well (too polished). it will also defoliate your arm hair but doesn't pop it. magazine paper is easier to slice then news paper, as magazine paper is stiffer and finer. If your edge can split hairs (not shave, split) and slice a nylon rope, then you've got yourself a scary scary sharp edge.

if you're into showy edges, then go for hair-whittling and toilet paper push cutting edges. Murray Carter can't seem to get them either, hahaha - he has to slice the paper.

Also, note that cutting efficiency is not just about the edge sharpness but cutting geometry.
Stevejobless likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 06-01-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #8471

Benchmade is only nice until the omega spring breaks... I would never call benchmade a workhorse class knife.

If you want a so-called "hard use knife", safest bet is Zero Tolerance.
If you want a proper cutting tool, Victorinox or Spyderco imo are the best.

Models that I would recommend:
Spyderco Sage1
Spyderco Dragonfly/Delica/Endura
Spyderco Paramilitary2
Spyderco Manix 2
Victorinox Alox Cadet
Zero Tolerance 0801
Zero Tolerance 0770

Quick ref(Iphone 6 for scale):
vespaguy likes this.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #8472

the spyderhole comes into its own when you have gloved hands or have lost a little control/dexterity (think numbness or shivering hands) - at least this is my real world experience. When benchmade put in the hole incontravention of spyderco's trademark (the skirmish and mini skirmish), they made the mistake of chamfering the hole - this took away the tactile quality of the hole - it became slippery. The hole is more function over looks -without a thumbstud, it was also easier to sharpen the blade. The only problem is every Tom Dick and Harry (or Rhonda, Nicole and Sally) is trying to circumvent the trade mark, so you have oval holes, weird amoeba like holes etc. They're not as effective or visually appealing and structurally strong as a simple round hole (ok, oval is still ok).

yep, I hate the cheap carbon fibre that spyderco uses - the peel ply or the 1x1 (it's too one dimensional). I like 2x2 twill and contouring to give it a little more depth (3 dimensional look).

oh and @gemsdemon ELMAX is sedap! if it's heattreated to 61RC, it will be extra lazat. It's a clean steel, with good edgeholding and corrosion resistance. Doesn't have too much vanadium carbides so it's easier to sharpen and will achieve a sharper edge. Yes, there were apparently some ELmax heat treat issues at ZT, I believe this was with the 0560 folders.
I'll stick to washer Spyderco... but credit where credit goes-- at least most of their knives unfolds brand new pretty sharp.

On the hole--its good when sharpening.. no studs in the way.

Overall as a daily workhorse for most.. among the few different brands.. I think Spydies as a whole is pretty practical right off the bat.
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #8473

Push cut toilet paper? I don't know if it is possible with a knife at all. Anyone done that?
maybe it's slice, I can't quite recall but there's a video here (they're all polished edges)

Old 06-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #8474

Talking

It's pretty darn sharp already if can slice toilet paper at all. Then you are right that the type of edge matters. I recently put a 280 grit coarse edge on my talwar. I accidentally put a 1" cut on my free hanging cloth curtain when practicing reverse grip slashes and lightly brushing it. Just scary how well it slices.
I hope you're doing the drills in the privacy of your home. I prefer to stick to discussion of blades as utility tools, best to be prudent and conservative
Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #8475

I usually test sharpness with normal print paper. Plenty of sharpness for what i require of it for my daily mundane tasks.

Im not much of a fan of spydie holes especially when it protrudes from the blade, spoils the lines of the design. But it looks fine in some models like the Spyderco Nirvana.

And plus one vote for victorinox when it comes to being a perfect EDC

RIP Mr Orsborne
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.