HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #8761

I think I've seen some M390s at BF and evilBay, but the premium over 204P might only tempt blade snobs or collectors only.
Unless the blade is cmposite of damascus and Vanax like the earlier 0777
The 0777 went up to $2k. do you want to pay $2k for that? think it's hovering around $1.5k now.

For collectors, it's about completing the collection, not so much the steel. 204P = M390.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #8762

some low-res pictures to share.

1. spyderco domino, CRKT ikoma fossil and Steve Kelly titanium sushi stix

2. fixies Bob Dozier K2 with rare CTS-XHP blade (cos I wanted a stainless D2) from years ago. Nicely aged black linen micarta (so much classier than canvas micarta IMO) with white liners. Nice thin grinds. These days a custom order like this takes at least 3 years and may no longer be done by Bob himself. The Dozier cuts like a demon. And the ergos are unmatched. Bob must have the same hands as I do because they were built for my hands...no fancy finger grooves texturing etc it just fits!

CKf Assymetric - a knife that has seen many adventures. S90V and pretty handy on the belt. S90V shows some spotting and edge weakness but hell, for the price, it's hard to beat. My go-to for camping. STill trying to gather funds to send it out for a regrind....somebody buy my knives so I can do so

widget likes this.
Old 19-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #8763

I got a new in box ZT0562CF in M390 which I'm planning to let go. Any interested parties?
khimwoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #8764

I got a new in box ZT0562CF in M390 which I'm planning to let go. Any interested parties?
think @widget indicated he's looking for one....
Old 19-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #8765

think @widget indicated he's looking for one....
Boh lui already liao!
Still have ZTs designed by Redford, Emerson and Sinkevich to collect
widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #8766

some low-res pictures to share.

1. spyderco domino, CRKT ikoma fossil and Steve Kelly titanium sushi stix

2. fixies Bob Dozier K2 with rare CTS-XHP blade (cos I wanted a stainless D2) from years ago. Nicely aged black linen micarta (so much classier than canvas micarta IMO) with white liners. Nice thin grinds. These days a custom order like this takes at least 3 years and may no longer be done by Bob himself. The Dozier cuts like a demon. And the ergos are unmatched. Bob must have the same hands as I do because they were built for my hands...no fancy finger grooves texturing etc it just fits!

CKf Assymetric - a knife that has seen many adventures. S90V and pretty handy on the belt. S90V shows some spotting and edge weakness but hell, for the price, it's hard to beat. My go-to for camping. STill trying to gather funds to send it out for a regrind....somebody buy my knives so I can do so

Fixed blade with XHP steel is very rare indeed. Most super steel are only found in folders. How hard does he temper them?
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #8767

no idea, but Bob's work is rather well regarded. 10-20years ago, his D2 was the rave, but nowadays, supersteels have overtaken his D2. I got this many years ago, when he was just starting to experiment with CTS-XHP. I've seen him using CPM154, CPM3V, CTS-BDXX and S35VN these days. Gotta ask Bob himself.

The beauty of a Dozier fixie is:

- timeless appeal. Ask the users, hunters, utility-oriented guys. Don't ask desk-diving collectors.
- his kydex sheaths are well made. It doesn't scratch the blade easily. See how the modern tacticool makers do their kydex. Kydex scratches are normal.
- he believes in knives for cutting softer substrates/materials, not chopping bricks or prying open doors. So he grinds his edges rather thin and with hollow grinds -slicey cutting geometry. I love hollow grinds no matter what others say about weakness etc. They just look better and you know that most likely, a knifemaker handground the blade, and not a CNC machine for today's flatgrinds.

They're no match for CPM3V-10V and S90-125V modern blades, but handle one and you'll know the man knows about knives that are meant to be used.
anvil_den and Stevejobless like this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 19-02-2016 at 07:22 PM..
Old 19-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #8768
Master Member

Most super steel are only found in folders.
You should take a look at Bark River Knives. They do use a fair bit of "supersteels" like CPM-3V and Elmax.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #8769

You should take a look at Bark River Knives. They do use a fair bit of "supersteels" like CPM-3V and Elmax.
And Survive! knives - CPM3V, CPM20CV.

My assymetric is S90V, but China Heat-treat so I don't know

Barkies tend to have blocky handles for some of their fixed blades.

Both the above are production knives though, the Dozier is still handground by Bob or his apprentices/foreman etc and is a custom knife, not a production knife (Sorta like Fiddleback Knives).

Last edited by vespaguy; 19-02-2016 at 07:31 PM..
Old 20-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #8770

Here is proper sharp!

Sharpness to drool at!
anvil_den and Stevejobless like this.
Old 20-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #8771

And Survive! knives - CPM3V, CPM20CV.

My assymetric is S90V, but China Heat-treat so I don't know

Barkies tend to have blocky handles for some of their fixed blades.

Both the above are production knives though, the Dozier is still handground by Bob or his apprentices/foreman etc and is a custom knife, not a production knife (Sorta like Fiddleback Knives).
Survive! knives are awesome!

Here are some GSO 3.5 to drool at:

anvil_den likes this.
Old 20-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #8772

no idea, but Bob's work is rather well regarded. 10-20years ago, his D2 was the rave, but nowadays, supersteels have overtaken his D2. I got this many years ago, when he was just starting to experiment with CTS-XHP. I've seen him using CPM154, CPM3V, CTS-BDXX and S35VN these days. Gotta ask Bob himself.
I'll take a well made D2 knife any day

and talking about chinese knives-- the cheap D2 ones really outshine the "better" M390 and S90 from there-- at least those I have fondled.
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #8773

Hi guys, first time posting here but I've been lurking around for quite some time already haha. Anyway I'm too busy to take care of all my knives now and think I wanna thin out some of my collection. Currently thinking of letting go of my spyderco military CPM S30V. Satin finish and camo g10 handles. Hook me at 98365250 for photos man. Just shoot me an offer or trade.

BTW anybody here got a karambit collection?.... I mean they have literally one of the deadliest blade shape. Always wanted to learn how to use one but there are no proper schools in Singapore
zekacheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #8774

Some fixed blade love:

Lee Lerman Nessmuk
GSO 5.1
GSO 5.0
GSO 4.1

BRKT Golok
ESEE Junglas w/ TKC G10 handles
JK Cuchillos. Parang
Kershaw Camp 10
Condor Eco Parang
anvil_den likes this.
Old 22-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #8775

now those look like true users - that's why fixies are just a smidgen better.

I think the Dozier deserves another slot...

anvil_den likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.