HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #8926

Gonna restore the hand me down chopper and make the other into my general kitchen knife and stop cutting air with it.
This type of cleaver can be sharpen to razor sharp because of the grind angle. I got one just like that that I sharpened a few months back. It can make long thin ribbons from newspaper with a nice ringing sound at the end of the cut. Shiok!
anvil_den likes this.
Stevejobless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #8927

the parang review highlights a lot of the things why I think the parang is a superior jungle blade:

1. shape - no recurve (difficult to sharpen), no need for a pointy tip, unsharpened part of the blade to allow choking up for fine cutting and control, with the handle resting under the forearm for stability
2. weight - if you're carrying it the whole day, you won't want a 800gm-1.2kg blade hanging from your belt or in your pack and swinging it the whole day long
3. easy to resharpen - simple carbon steels. As for rust - for the guys who use it all day long and everyday, there's no time for rust to form
4. the handle - that is extremely important. shape for snap cuts, comfortable in the palm, a pommel/beak so that it doesn't fly off and rat tail tang for shock absorption and weight transference
5. he didn't go into the sheath but wooden sheaths are practical in many ways (I shall leave it a mystery for those of you who are interested to discover over time)

He also demonstrated the batonning or splitting - that is how most natives approach problems - they don't just bash through, they'll find ways to improvise and be optimal.

Love that video - but want his chandong - the 2 x 12" ones. THose are my favourites! Oh and the mandau and the parang tebas...I love those too.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #8928

I actually do have an SRM763 with axis lock, got from black tactical a while ago but really liked the look (and reviews!) Of the 710. Think I'll go with fasttech then, so is "hongkong post" confirmed a courier service that I have to arrange to meet? If possible i'm hoping they put it in the mailbox - a parcel with 1 knife should fit right? Thanks for the advice vespaguy shikiwaru!
cobaltb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #8929
Master Member

I actually do have an SRM763 with axis lock, got from black tactical a while ago but really liked the look (and reviews!) Of the 710. Think I'll go with fasttech then, so is "hongkong post" confirmed a courier service that I have to arrange to meet? If possible i'm hoping they put it in the mailbox - a parcel with 1 knife should fit right? Thanks for the advice vespaguy shikiwaru!
It does not matter what shipping method you choose. Once it reaches Singapore, it will 100% be transferred to Singpost.

Since it comes with tracking, the postman confirm plus chop will have to go to your house (unless the postman accidentally puts the item in your mailbox, which happened once to me).
vespaguy likes this.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #8930

It does not matter what shipping method you choose. Once it reaches Singapore, it will 100% be transferred to Singpost.

Since it comes with tracking, the postman confirm plus chop will have to go to your house (unless the postman accidentally puts the item in your mailbox, which happened once to me).
Old 08-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #8931

I avoid relying on FastTech as my sole source for SRM as they have been known to have trouble with postal services.

There was an extended period of time (almost half a year) where FastTech blocked all shipping of knives to Singapore (no suitable shipping option would show up in the Checkout page) and my items were stuck in the cart for that period. Given their record, you can nver be too sure if something like this happens again or not.
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #8932
Master Member

I avoid relying on FastTech as my sole source for SRM as they have been known to have trouble with postal services.

There was an extended period of time (almost half a year) where FastTech blocked all shipping of knives to Singapore (no suitable shipping option would show up in the Checkout page) and my items were stuck in the cart for that period. Given their record, you can nver be too sure if something like this happens again or not.
I think it should be okay now that they're using HK Post. I got my Balance directly from Stedemon on Aliexpress (using HK Post) and I received it pretty quickly with no problems.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #8933

I think it's time to list this, I may just change my mind but for now, it's USD380 via paypal. Upgraded with CTS-XHP steel, white liners and nice classy black linen micarta (much nicer than black canvas IMO). Tacticool need not apply.

Bob Dozier makes the most ergonomic practical hunters/EDC fixed blades (he does folders too, but I think his forte is his fixed blades). He's been grinding for more than 30 years and used to grind knives for AG Russell. His steel of choice is D2 but I got this rare stainless from him some years ago. CTS-XHP for superior corrosion resistance, toughness and edgeholding (IMO) vs D2 (well, at least without the microcorrosion lol). The ergos are unmatched - it's just ergonomic in all hands, large or small. The beauty of Dozier is in the edge geometry - deep hollow grinds (looks so much better IMO) meaning you don't have unnecessary thickness behind the edge. Of course, you don't want to be batonning with this fixed blade - save the batonning for your thick blades.

update: price drop to a nice USD365 via paypal! if you haven't handled a dozier, you don't know what a nicely contoured handled can do for ergos and a hollow grind can do for cutting efficiency.

Last edited by vespaguy; 24-03-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Old 09-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #8934

I think it should be okay now that they're using HK Post. I got my Balance directly from Stedemon on Aliexpress (using HK Post) and I received it pretty quickly with no problems.
I'll try it then and hope for the best. If it doesn't arrive at least its not that expensive Thanks for the "confirm plus chop" detailed description hahahha
cobaltb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #8935

This type of cleaver can be sharpen to razor sharp because of the grind angle. I got one just like that that I sharpened a few months back. It can make long thin ribbons from newspaper with a nice ringing sound at the end of the cut. Shiok!
Oh yes these kind certainly can take a sharp edge.
Just feeling lazy now.. probably have to clean out some minor chips.. this one had been around for 40+ years.
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #8936

I am seeing things online like saying that samier and kevin john knives are among the best of 'inspired design' knives. Some even claim, it may out perform some original custom. But when i searched for it online and the aliexpress, it seems they are quite controlled. Then i found this fb group called hong kong knives that seems to have great comment and nice designs. Anyone tried these kind yet? Any idea where to buy it?
Since i am looking to design my own knife, i was thinking that with a contact, they maybe able to do it at way lower cost
zzcisapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #8937

update: price drop to a nice USD365 via paypal! if you haven't handled a dozier, you don't know what a nicely contoured handled can do for ergos and a hollow grind can do for cutting efficiency.
whoa
ntaztriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #8938
Master Member

I am seeing things online like saying that samier and kevin john knives are among the best of 'inspired design' knives. Some even claim, it may out perform some original custom. But when i searched for it online and the aliexpress, it seems they are quite controlled. Then i found this fb group called hong kong knives that seems to have great comment and nice designs. Anyone tried these kind yet? Any idea where to buy it?
Since i am looking to design my own knife, i was thinking that with a contact, they maybe able to do it at way lower cost
They're now on DHGate because they've got some problems with Aliexpress.

As for whether they outperform the original, I would tend to disagree. However, you do get what you pay for when you buy these replicas.

First off, there are just certain qualities that can never be mimicked. For example, Chris Reeve's tolerances took years and years of perfection, what makes you think a replica can top that? Rockstead's high hardness and supreme cutting performance can never be topped by a replica. What these replicas can try to do is to copy the superficial design, with a side of slightly higher quality materials nowadays.

Also, there is also the debate of whether there is pride of ownership in owning a fake. Would you go about announcing proudly to the whole world on your fake Rolex collection? I doubt so.

Even if you do keep that to yourself, Americans like Medford will tell you that you're stealing from their countrymen if you support these fakes. I personally believe that the market for replicas and the market for the originals are two separate entities.

Also, some of these makers kind of deserve to have their work counterfeited. Claiming that China is 'stealing from your countrymen' sounds noble, but there are Americans out there doing more shady things than the Chinese. However, this will be another story for another day.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #8939

They're now on DHGate because they've got some problems with Aliexpress.

As for whether they outperform the original, I would tend to disagree. However, you do get what you pay for when you buy these replicas.

First off, there are just certain qualities that can never be mimicked. For example, Chris Reeve's tolerances took years and years of perfection, what makes you think a replica can top that? Rockstead's high hardness and supreme cutting performance can never be topped by a replica. What these replicas can try to do is to copy the superficial design, with a side of slightly higher quality materials nowadays.

Also, there is also the debate of whether there is pride of ownership in owning a fake. Would you go about announcing proudly to the whole world on your fake Rolex collection? I doubt so.

Even if you do keep that to yourself, Americans like Medford will tell you that you're stealing from their countrymen if you support these fakes. I personally believe that the market for replicas and the market for the originals are two separate entities.

Also, some of these makers kind of deserve to have their work counterfeited. Claiming that China is 'stealing from your countrymen' sounds noble, but there are Americans out there doing more shady things than the Chinese. However, this will be another story for another day.
I agrees with most of the things you are saying here. I mean its true that theres no honor of of ownership and the list that the americans made goes on forever.
The heat treat is obviously lower as seen from their rc scale. So quality wise, its a given. But in the case of a usage knife, i believe the clones are worth every cent.
Same logic as you will never bring your rolex for sports or a drive through malaysia or thailand
zzcisapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #8940
Master Member

I agrees with most of the things you are saying here. I mean its true that theres no honor of of ownership and the list that the americans made goes on forever.
The heat treat is obviously lower as seen from their rc scale. So quality wise, its a given. But in the case of a usage knife, i believe the clones are worth every cent.
Same logic as you will never bring your rolex for sports or a drive through malaysia or thailand
While that's true, I would like to point out some designs you can buy off the replica market without feeling dirty.

- Anton Malyshev Gnome

This was an original design from Malyshev, but it was replicated when it was a sketch off a blueprint or something. Anyway, he changed his mind and was not producing it already (not because it got stolen). The man himself kind of gave his blessings to buy these replicas and was impressed by how quickly they stole his design.

- Kevin John Venom

AFAIK, this is an original design from the guys who produced the clones. There exists a "proper" version in CKF, but it is sold out, so why not get it from them instead?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.