HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #9451

Haha yeah Yun told me its a 1-2year wait till we get to the design stage. To be really honest, I wanna get a Yuna is 70% Aesthetics, 30% Knife appreciation. As i'm unsure of the overall blade quality and aware of its weak detent issues, so i''m basing it off from my own research, thats why i only give it 30%. I hope that make some sense. 70% design is because, its a really unique design of knife. Be it the yin yang details, blade shape, ergonomic handle, they are all features that i find it very unique to his craft. thats basically the reasons why i wanted to get it, and i actually enquire in 2014 and only till today after much email pokes, i manage to get on his books.

Sorry for the long text. Apologies in advance
I used to be one of his fan. Guess i should share why. All the yuna we see are owned by those 'celebrity' owners. Like jim skelton. (Maybe you got to know it from him also&#128518 this means their builds are definitely one of the most expensive one. I guess a normal zdp build from him, with ying yang style handle, would be around 1.5k. So firstly, its the cost vs hardware ratio. He is on the ancient side of washers. Its not about detent(but it also contributes)
Secondly, he is a hermit(u wont hear back from him much)

But overall, congratz on getting your turn
zzcisapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #9452

I used to be one of his fan. Guess i should share why. All the yuna we see are owned by those 'celebrity' owners. Like jim skelton. (Maybe you got to know it from him also&#128518 this means their builds are definitely one of the most expensive one. I guess a normal zdp build from him, with ying yang style handle, would be around 1.5k. So firstly, its the cost vs hardware ratio. He is on the ancient side of washers. Its not about detent(but it also contributes)
Secondly, he is a hermit(u wont hear back from him much)

But overall, congratz on getting your turn

Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback.

From your post, I guess you're no longer a fan of his work due to a series of reason which you've briefly mentioned.

May i know if you still own his work?
byzzare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #9453

Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback.

From your post, I guess you're no longer a fan of his work due to a series of reason which you've briefly mentioned.

May i know if you still own his work?
Never held onto his work before. But i would definitely love to hold 1. All these issues i mentioned are just generic issues i saw online, preventing me from commiting
Old 16-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #9454

Never held onto his work before. But i would definitely love to hold 1. All these issues i mentioned are just generic issues i saw online, preventing me from commiting
Ahh i see, yeah the issues u mentioned above are all what I've come to known through online research on Yuna's. To me his ancient washers and hermit like customer service, adds a very "disconnected life" touch to his knife, traditional if you will, which appeals to me the most haha, maybe i'm weird this way.

If i''m not wrong 1.5k us should be able to get a decent knife from Yuna, not just a basic zdp build. probably even type S, correct me if im wrong haha.

Anyways if we're still in touch by then, i don't mind letting you have a hold of my yuna. Haha maybe u could drop me a dm, to keep in touch.
byzzare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #9455

If they refuse to ship overseas, u can always take your business elsewhere. That's my policy. Hahaha... In my opinion, there are other brands that perform just as good, if not better for the price point. What are you looking for? If you are looking for an edc, zt/spyderco and hell, even reate are pretty good avenues to check out. Great value for money.
We can easily find ZT, Spyderco, Kershaw from local resellers, be it, their official distributors or parallel importers, but not so with Benchmade.
I've only one BM with I bought direct from US reseller, which is a Nakamura 484-1, CF scale with S90V blade. For that particular price range, sad to say the build quality is below my expectation, compared to the similarly priced Spydy or ZT that I own.
There is a minute horizontal blade play, and seems like it's a well known issue too for this model and even 940/943 family.
Benchmade? Better to place your hard earn money elsewhere. Their QC has been getting so bad that they are on-par cheap China-made knives. Made in USA no longer means quality anymore for example "Made on America soil and by foreign workers would still be classified as 'Made In USA'". Better to spend you money on real knife manufacturers such as Spyderco and Zero Tolerance. Hell even China brands such as Reate, Kizar and Rite Knives are catching up with top-tier brands.

This is from the last Benchmade I will ever buy unless they revamp their company/QC.
I just like Benchmade for the looks. Their knives usually come with slim, narrow blades which look more elegant than the much broader blades used by other companies. Buck is the only other company I can see which still uses slim, narrow blades in a significant portion of their products. Bur Buck has no distributor in here; the resellers here only stock a very limited portion of Buck folders.

Kershaw unfortunately is a no-go. I really love a bunch of their designs, but AO is just a no-go. ZT and Spyderco were never even on my radar to begin with.

Guess I'll just go back to importing cheap S&Ws, Schrades, Bucks and CRKTs.
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #9456

Its hornest. Go google. They are at paya lebar there
Is HorNest still a Benchmade authorized seller or distributor? They don't have the Benchmade brand listed on their website.
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #9457

Is HorNest still a Benchmade authorized seller or distributor? They don't have the Benchmade brand listed on their website.
Same. But when i checked the benchmade distributor, they were there. Maybe they only sells in shop. The prices are really quite expensive. So maybe just for handling
Old 18-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #9458

Anyone following the new releases at Shot Show? My favourite so far is the GTC collab from ZT.
Siluriform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #9459

Anyone following the new releases at Shot Show? My favourite so far is the GTC collab from ZT.
Don't think the new releases look good. Even the gtc collab looks like it'll be a disappointment. The slt looks more gimmicky than anything. However, at that price point, it's more about making the slt affordable to the masses.

Anyway, I think that my top 2 picks for zt will be the 0801 and the 0999. 0801 for the great design/materials at the low cost it was priced at. The 0999 for the complexity and mechanical ingenuity.

mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #9460

The 0999 looks ridiculously good. From the new releases, I also particularly like the Spyderco Silver, with the compression lock/flipper combo. In other news, Fstop lights now has the WeKnife 616 in stock, probably can expect more knives from them in the future.
Siluriform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #9461
Supremacy Member

Anyone one here into kitchen knives?

Recently bought this from razorsharp @ outram

Kasumi 20cm Chef Knife. VG10 Japanese Damascus Steel

Super sharp and makes food prep a breeze

Last edited by hawthorne; 05-02-2017 at 05:28 PM..
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:04 PM   #9462

Anyone one here into kitchen knives?

Recently bought this from razorsharp @ outram

Kasumi 20cm Chef Knife. VG10 Japanese Damascus Steel

Super sharp and makes food prep a breeze

one of the regulars is a togishi there

kitchen knife - the knife I use everyday of the week.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #9463

Selling my Benchmade knives collection.

Hidden Canyon Hunter G10 scales MINT condition - S$60

Saddle Mountain Skinner G10 scales MINT condition - S$70

All knives kept in collection drawer - unused, only for admiring, comes complete with Kydex sheath & retail Box.

Hidden Canyon Hunter G10

Saddle Mountain Skinner G10

Interest pls watsapp me - 92388703

Last edited by lloop9; 31-12-2017 at 03:56 PM..
lloop9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #9464

Sold, and headed overseas. A pity but what can Uncle vespa say 🤔😕👀

Last edited by vespaguy; 09-02-2017 at 01:10 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #9465

SPYDERCO SLYSZ BOWIE

anyone knows where can i get SPYDERCO SLYSZ BOWIE in sg?

Last edited by yonkou; 09-02-2017 at 12:48 AM..
yonkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.