HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #9511
Master Member

I'm putting up this Kotoh Folding Higo Knife for sale. Asking $120 but will listen to reasonable offers.

https://carousell.com/shikiwaru/?query=kotoh

Overall Length: 143mm
Blade Length: 57mm
Cutting Edge: 55mm
Handle Length: 85mm
Closed Length: 104mm (tang inclusive)
Blade Material: Hitachi SLD/SS3 [D2 equivalent]
Blade Style: Modified wharncliffe
Blade Grind: Flat
Finish: Satin
Handle Material: Padauk Burl
Weight: 20g / 0.71oz

More information is provided in the listing. Reason for selling is because I bought 2 and I'm selling 1 to spilt the cost of shipping and handling.

Really good price for a custom/handmade piece by a veteran knifemaker.

DM me on Carousell to deal or PM me here.
vespaguy likes this.

Last edited by Shikiwaru; 18-07-2017 at 05:14 PM..
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #9512

Searching for Web Series Profiles

Hello all knife enthusiasts,

I'm currently researching and looking for profiles to be featured in a web series. It aims to showcase people who through their ‘obsessions’ produce something incredible, or reveal a certain human trait such as determination, hard work, passion, etc.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who thinks their knife obsession is extreme and does more than the regular hobbyist collector. (Bonus points if you can visually blow us away with your massive collection!)

If you know anyone who is obsessed with something else (or an activity even), please do send them my way so we could chat about it.

I'd love to know more about your story and journey, especially how you came to love collecting knives so much and the art behind your extreme passion!

Thank you so much for reading and hope to hear from some of you
vespaguy likes this.
angelinaresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #9513
Master Member

Anybody here who messes with tritium knows if UV glue will adhere to titanium?

I'm looking at the Rike Knives D9 and it has 2 slots on the handle for tritium you can DIY and add on on your own.

It sure does.
I get my trits and adhesive from here
Slayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #9514

Hello all knife enthusiasts,

I'm currently researching and looking for profiles to be featured in a web series. It aims to showcase people who through their ‘obsessions’ produce something incredible, or reveal a certain human trait such as determination, hard work, passion, etc.

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who thinks their knife obsession is extreme and does more than the regular hobbyist collector. (Bonus points if you can visually blow us away with your massive collection!)

If you know anyone who is obsessed with something else (or an activity even), please do send them my way so we could chat about it.

I'd love to know more about your story and journey, especially how you came to love collecting knives so much and the art behind your extreme passion!

Thank you so much for reading and hope to hear from some of you
here's a chance for you guys to have your minute of fame. good luck!
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #9515

Hi all experts and senior,
I see knifec*nt** on cold steel tanto fixed blade, price is fine, just want to know anyone ship fixed blade from there recently have any issue? I just don't want the knife end up stuck at custom or have to go P.S. to collect it.
Just recently shipped a Bark River Grizzly from DLT, shipped via Fedex.
Knife arrived in 1 week. No need to report to customs.
Stevejobless likes this.
Wuuhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #9516

here's a chance for you guys to have your minute of fame. good luck!
Thank you for the shoutout - would you be keen to share your story with me?
angelinaresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #9517
Master Member

Hinderer Slipjoint TBA: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...r-to-iwa-show/
Old 26-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #9518

Thank you for the shoutout - would you be keen to share your story with me?
I'm afraid I have to decline. I'm a reclusive old hobo ambling along life on his old scooter with only a few sharpies to keep me happy. But knife collecting is actually an interesting hobby - however, most old folks like me don't want to say too much....just like those who shoot for a hobby.

The younger ones may be more camera-friendly?, so please guys feel free to speak to angelinaresearch

There are those who collect tool knives, kitchen knives, traditional Asian, Western etc weapons, there are those who practise swordarts, reenactment, then there are ministers (perhaps?) and senior business folks who collect swords which are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's mysterious hidden world out there, and I think it will continue to be mysterious.

I recall reading only 2 or 3 articles on knife and sword collectors in the local publications.
Old 26-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #9519

Hinderer Slipjoint TBA: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...r-to-iwa-show/
I like it. If it's under $300 and uses 20CV, it's worth a consideration.
Old 26-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #9520
Master Member

I like it. If it's under $300 and uses 20CV, it's worth a consideration.
Of course, if it is priced very close to an XM-18, I might as well buy that instead.

Also possibly worth considering is another Hinderer collab with Viper knives, hopefully we'll get more pictures of that soon.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #9521

Of course, if it is priced very close to an XM-18, I might as well buy that instead.

Also possibly worth considering is another Hinderer collab with Viper knives, hopefully we'll get more pictures of that soon.
Personally, I think the hinderer knives sort of fall short behind the current market options. The flipping action is not up to par with regards to the flippers out in the market today.

Certainly, when it first came out, I have no doubt that it was industry-changing, especially with regards to the overtravel stop.

However, a lack of a lockbar insert and the overall stagnation of the design has made me lose interest in the knives themselves.

However, I believe that this change comes at an ideal time to shake things up a little. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #9522

update - Sakai Takayuki gyuto plus waterstones FS

and this is sold....
Stevejobless likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 08-03-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Old 28-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #9523
Master Member

Personally, I think the hinderer knives sort of fall short behind the current market options. The flipping action is not up to par with regards to the flippers out in the market today.

Certainly, when it first came out, I have no doubt that it was industry-changing, especially with regards to the overtravel stop.

However, a lack of a lockbar insert and the overall stagnation of the design has made me lose interest in the knives themselves.

However, I believe that this change comes at an ideal time to shake things up a little. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table.
I have low hopes for it to be priced reasonably, seeing that his fixed blades are overpriced for what they are.

At around USD $300-350, I could get me some decent custom/handmade slipjoints that are more unique.

But anyway, that's why there are collabs and I'm looking forward to the one he has with Viper.
Old 28-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #9524

I have low hopes for it to be priced reasonably, seeing that his fixed blades are overpriced for what they are.

At around USD $300-350, I could get me some decent custom/handmade slipjoints that are more unique.

But anyway, that's why there are collabs and I'm looking forward to the one he has with Viper.
nod. under $300 for 3.5" 20CV blade, maybe - the XM183.5 really fits my hand. over, no. The problem with custom slippies at that price range is that they never use the high end steels, as they're difficult to finish nicely. Most settle for 154V or ATS34 for the traditionals. Anyways, HInderers are a hardsell nowadays - not when you have Reate, WEknives, RIKE and the numerous collabs in the $350-450 price range. The Chinese have just bulldozed the market in that range.
Old 28-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #9525
Master Member

Viper Knives teased us with some more pictures of the Storm.

Looks like it might be based off the MP-1. I'm hoping it comes in M390.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.