HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #9541

Zt for sure. The fit and finish on brous blades is extremely shabby. I've held a few and have never been impressed by them. Off-centered blades, uneven liners poor action, poor tolerances and most of all, expensive for what they bring to the table. Zt for me, any day, any time.

Of course, these are just my thoughts.
From all the reviews I've seen, the fit and finish on the Brous doesn't seem that bad. In fact, people are complimenting on them. But I must agree that they are overpriced. What put me off from getting the vr-71 is the damn screws. They have the same damn screws as my $50 Kershaw. Ruined the overall look IMO.
Anymore replies would be appreciated! Thanks!
10_01mencret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #9542

From all the reviews I've seen, the fit and finish on the Brous doesn't seem that bad. In fact, people are complimenting on them. But I must agree that they are overpriced. What put me off from getting the vr-71 is the damn screws. They have the same damn screws as my $50 Kershaw. Ruined the overall look IMO.
Anyway, the China made knives like reate seem to be putting out really great stuff... Premium steels, good f&f, reasonable prices... That's another avenue you can explore
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #9543
Master Member

I'll put my vote for a ZT. They have better warranty and F&F. I personally think they have better designs and materials used too.

Like mamba said, F&F on a Brous is sketchy. I don't know where you're getting your info from, but the general consensus is they're not so good.
Shikiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #9544

Since we're on the topic of fit and finish in knives, what do you guys look for in your knives, be it to keep in the collection, or as users?
Old 24-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #9545

Thanks for the answer guys! Ended up with the Brous VR-71 cos the shape just intrigues me. It didnt dissapont. Fit and finish is actually amazing. Damn smooth opening and blade centering is on point. It closes just almost like a shirogorov custom would. No joke. Might be my new favorite haha.
10_01mencret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #9546

Thanks for the answer guys! Ended up with the Brous VR-71 cos the shape just intrigues me. It didnt dissapont. Fit and finish is actually amazing. Damn smooth opening and blade centering is on point. It closes just almost like a shirogorov custom would. No joke. Might be my new favorite haha.
Perhaps sharing some photos/close ups or a bit more detail may change the negative perspective on brous knives?

Where do you look at with regards to the fit and finish?

As I've learnt from a close friend, collect what makes you happy. Ultimately, at the end of the day, it's YOUR knife because YOU paid for it.

Perhaps sharing here would help the other collectors out on their journey?
Old 25-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #9547

Figured I'd share one of the posts that I made on another forum as to what tolerances mean to me.

The Maker

Lee is a 27 year-old Knifemaker from Israel who's a very friendly dude, willing to share his knowledge and passion for knives. The Hydra by Lee Lerman has been synonymous with quality at the top echelons of Knifemaking.

Lee and I have been communicating with each other for over a year and he's one of the best makers out there, involving the customer at every step of the way, considering every alternative proposed and providing his expert opinion before proceeding with the material procurement and the build.

At an age of 27, I think he's got tremendous potential and promise and if you stick around my post, you'll see why that's so for yourself.

As Ari (Megalobyte) recently posted his WIP Pics and made everybody lose their minds, I figured I'd share my build, but from a different perspective.

The Hydra Heirloom
That's what we've decided to term this knife. An heirloom piece to us meant that it should be classy, timeless and ultimately, to be passed on to the next generation. To us, there is no classier material than Mother Of Pearl, which will be the focus of this piece.

The Initial Stage
We begin this journey with a selection of the materials and the basic removal of the handle materials.

Moving onto the rotary table, we arrive at the radial arc bolsters.

The Pursuit Of Perfection

The MOP scale here is a ZERO-tolerance fit, meaning that it is EXACTLY the same shape and size as the arc on the bolster. To the untrained eye, one would have stopped here, because this is very difficult to achieve and would be considered sufficient for most makers. However, for the scale to be fit in, some material will need to be removed from the ZERO-tolerance fit.

This is not good enough for Lee and so, the insanity begins. He proceeds to take off 0.005mm (0.07mm is the width of an average human hair, for comparison) off each time. That's 1/14th of the width of a human hair, for some context.

Until we get...

Side by side:

We shall continue with the further milling for the lockbar...

Till then...
Slayer1 and squarebox like this.
Old 28-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #9548
Arch-Supremacy Member

is it ok to import this kind of swords to sg?

https://shop60796266.world.taobao.co...80705.4.wtqrG2
Scarlet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #9549
Arch-Supremacy Member

is it ok to import this kind of swords to sg?

https://shop60796266.world.taobao.co...80705.4.wtqrG2
Sure get detained
perperdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #9550

It's fun eating 6 month old meat...still extremely delicious . A good freezer is a must Umai.......

anvil_den likes this.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #9551
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sure get detained
if ship in leh? would mata knock on my door?
Scarlet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #9552

if ship in leh? would mata knock on my door?
buying wall hangers is not illegal. What it means is that the item will be detained by the shipper (SingaporePost, Fedex, DHL, etc) as it enters Singapore. You'll be notified that a permit is required to import a wall hanger sword and if you don't have a permit, you need to seek one. I'm not sure if they can help get you one (there'll be fees etc). Or if you will go and get it yourself. I think wall hangers you mentioned are ok as they don't have sharpened edges. So it's just a matter of getting it cleared by the police, ICA, paying for the permits/import fees and getting your name on the books (so if anything happens with your swords, they will knock on your door).

Sometimes an interview is required, but yours really looks like those wallhangers, so it should not be an issue - just time, money, filing papers etc.

Please don't quote me I have never bought wall hangers/cosplay/fantasy swords in my life.
Old 31-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #9553

Its a 210mm gyuto. R2 steel by Yu Kurosaki. Damage $269 USD + $9 shipping. Ootb edge is good enough to do the tomato trick.
how is the performance so far? I read that Kurosaki's grinds were thick and there was some stiction but I love R2 powder. Do you have a bigger detailed pic of the bolster material? what is it? pakkawood? horn? or dyed rosewood?

it looks nice, I like the way he does the hammer finish.
Old 31-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #9554

Santoku & Steak from Spevakitchen. Aussie Wagyu shoulder from the Meat Collective (thanks for the tip). Santoku by Kanesoh from Tokyo - Aogami steel core, handles are custom made using Ukrainian Bog Oak, Curly Oak with tin spacers

squarebox and Stevejobless like this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 31-03-2017 at 08:56 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #9555
Arch-Supremacy Member

How bad these fakes really are.

jesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.