Home Automation Enthusiasts

shacboi

Reaction score
In overseas Amazon Echo forums (e.g. echotalk.org), there's a lot of discussion on Amazon's decisions to geo-fence their skills and lots of non-US Echo owners are not able to fully access all the skills that US customers get. Bummer :s27:

I have had my Echo dots since 2016 and back then it took some workarounds to get it working in SG, thanks to earlier adopters who learnt by the hard way. Personally, I would still recommend setting US address and location for the Echo devices to get early access to all the latest skills and functionality.

Did you know you can ask Alexa to voice call as well as send SMSes to your mobile? There's also a new product called Echo Connect which can integrate Alexa with your land line at home but I have not heard of anyone using it outside of US at the moment.

Hi guys, yes the voice call and SMS works, tested before.

FYI.
for voice call, u ask alexa to call {name} and the person mobile phone will receive the call stated from your home by Alexa, something like that.

for SMS, is more interesting as it will actually send a SMS to the recipient with the text u have said and oso the voice recording link, which upon click will bring u to a site to hear the voice recording.

shacboi

Reaction score
I have no experience with 2 way switches, but I saw this wiring diagram in the aliexpress product page

HTB1tJfpJVXXXXb_XVXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg

Yeah got my rm pro from her too. Great seller and service.

Nobody is using the europe livolo 2 way? :(

By right in our SG context, our wiring should follow the UK standard but seems like topherw86 's 2-way is done the 'EU" standard, with only one wire for the 2-way connection.

best is for him to get a EU Livolo 2-way switch which has the 1 COM port which he can use his existing one wire to connect.

however for topherw86 , suggest u talk to ur electrician first about this as they are professional, ask if possible to config the current 1-wire to 2-wire ?? maybe there is still some ways to do it.

233mmx

Reaction score
Once I tried to send a SMS to my wife, she thought my phone was infected with virus because it looks like a spam SMS sent from my Android phone :s13:

for SMS, is more interesting as it will actually send a SMS to the recipient with the text u have said and oso the voice recording link, which upon click will bring u to a site to hear the voice recording.

233mmx

Reaction score
Actually I dun think our SG wiring is plug and play with such smart switches in the first place. The extra wire should a direct live wire bypassing the looping circuit.

In my opinion, if you have 2-way switches, you really only need to replace 1 of them with a smart switch.

In my home I do not have any 2-way switches and I only replaced those switches that I would foresee being used frequently. For e.g. my storeroom light is still controlled by a "dumb" switch ;)

By right in our SG context, our wiring should follow the UK standard but seems like topherw86 's 2-way is done the 'EU" standard, with only one wire for the 2-way connection.

shacboi

Reaction score
Alexa Household

She gets frustrated because Alexa voice training done by me so her accent is not always recognised by Alexa, end up her voice commands are always hit & miss :s13:

Nice idea you have to get your wife hooked to the helpful stuff that Alexa can do for her :D I have tried sometime ago but she's not convinced enough :s13:

Hi, i understand the fustration whe Alexa don't 'listen' to the commands.
However there are still 2 things u can do to improve the situation.

1. Create an Amazon and Alexa account for your wife, she doesn't need to have any Alexa device registered to her, just account will do. After which, you create a household to add your wife in, once she is in the same household, she can use the Alexa devices registered under your main account as per normal.

Then goto ur Alexa app and settings, look for 'Voice Profile', not training but Voice Profile. Alexa app will ask u to read a few sentences, so that Alexa can recgonise your voice. After you are done, you ask "Alexa, who am I", Alexa will say "You are {name}, in {name}'s account". Bingo! now your Alexa can recgonise you voice.

Goto your wife's App and do the same, once done, ask Alexa the same and Alexa will reply "You are {wife name}, in {husband name}'s account". If Alexa is able to detect correct, she has successfully learn the voice.

As for switch of account, say "Alexa, switch account". it will switch account by saying "now in {name} account", but personally i think there is no need to keep switching account for my case, i'm always in my main account.

But there are some benefits for switching account, for eg. I also setup TrackR (to find your phone) in our respective accounts. so when i'm in my account, i will say "Alexa, ask Trackr to find my phone", then my mobile iwll ring at its loudest even when it is mute or silent mode. If i want to find my wife's phone, i will need to switch to wife's account and say same command and wife's phone will ring instead of mine.

For smart home devices, I only setup in my main account so if want to ask Alexa to on/off device, needs to be in my account.

However I also realise if you have multi Alexa, and group play music. it doesnt matter which account they are in, they will still play as per normal as they have been grouped together.

2. 2nd thing you can do is everytime when u or wife said a command, if it is right den goto the app history and click 'yes' for alexa hear correctly. this will eventually helps Alexa to understand the speech and next time you say chances of getting right will be higher, it's suppose to work that way. As for those commands that miss, click 'No' Alexa didn't hear correctly. overtime, hope it will help. :D

Last edited:

shacboi

Reaction score
Actually I dun think our SG wiring is plug and play with such smart switches in the first place. The extra wire should a direct live wire bypassing the looping circuit.

In my opinion, if you have 2-way switches, you really only need to replace 1 of them with a smart switch.

In my home I do not have any 2-way switches and I only replaced those switches that I would foresee being used frequently. For e.g. my storeroom light is still controlled by a "dumb" switch ;)

my understanding is oso sumwhat same as urs, but i have yet to try it out. But Livolo always hav disclaimer say need 2 of same 2-way switches to work, just need someone to try out and verify though.

my storeroom is having a 1gang livolo RF switch, and i installed a broadlink s1c door sensor, physically open store door the light will light up, once i close the door , the light will off.

able to acheive this via s1c door sensor->s2 hub->rm pro3->livolo rf switch. :D

sumbody

Reaction score

Hello HA Gurus,

Newbie looking into setting up his own place for future HA. I've read through the posts here and learnt loads from other user experiences.

As my missus isn't really a techie, I decided to slowly add in devices along the way instead of doing a fresh overhaul of the new place we are getting keys soon, even though I understand its more convenient to set up the foundation at the renovation phase.

Is getting a Google Home + Smartthings hub/router a good start? I have free reign over the 'computer study' so I can start with a live demo there before adding on to the living room.

Things I would like to add on along the way:

1. Smart lights - Philips Hue etc.
2. Smart plugs for appliances
3. Fan less likely since will probably install a normal one during reno
4. Chromecast integration for media

Basically trying to be as futureproof and idiotproof as possible. Don't mind spending a little more as long as its easy to install.

Thanks all and have a nice day!

JakiBOii

Reaction score
I badly want to use Alexa with our Eufy vacuum but sadly, they aren't compatible. This is one thing I'm most disappointed about. I should have gone for Alexa compatible devices.

shacboi

Reaction score
I badly want to use Alexa with our Eufy vacuum but sadly, they aren't compatible. This is one thing I'm most disappointed about. I should have gone for Alexa compatible devices.

Eufy ? is it the one that oso have lik an echoDot ?? was selling very cheap last time but due to some functions not supported , i dropped the idea of getting that and get EchoDots instead.

Yes, will be better to get Alexa devices, or Alexa compatible since now the trend for Devices is to link-up with Alexa.

smiggleprincess

Reaction score
I am using Amazon Alexa with RM Pro. As per the seller's advice, I am using an Android box with RM Plugin as a bridge between the Broadlink e-connect app and the Alexa app.
Then all that's left is to make macros. Quite easy after it is up and running. I can easily modify my macros over time including the name of the command to adapt to the changes that I've made such as a new TV that needs my command to adapt to it. I just need to go to the TV remote on the Broadlink app and click on swap frequency and then go to the plugin and edit the macro with the macro from the ihc app and then go to Alexa and click Discover. That's it. It's easier than you think once you understand how it works.

For me personally, I am experimenting the Smart Home feel by using it in my room.

Thankfully, my Fanco fan also acts as the room's main LED light while I have a dedicated LED strip for my PC Desk along with aircon, TV, Speakers.

Due to my Fanco remote using radio waves instead of infrared, I could not use the Logitech harmony. So I depend on the Broadlink RM Pro RM03 along with the Amazon Echo Dot 2 that I bought off of Carousell.
The seller was extremely nice as to provide even instructions as to set up the whole thing.

I went the extra mile as to even set up my Amazon Echo to register my Singapore address which I have yet seen others achieve. So things like weather and the nearest McDonalds or 7-11 will tell me ones that are actually near my house.

The macros on the Broadlink app are easy to set up. I have mine set to turn on aircon at certain times of the night and then turn off and switch back to my Fanco ceiling fan. So as to not waste electricity but still keep the room cool the whole night.
Similarly, there are macros which are specifically for the Amazon Echo which will activate. For example, if I say 'Alexa, turn on food'. It will switch off my Desk LED strip and switch on main room light and then turn on the TV and speakers at the same time too allowing me to just display my PC screen to the TV instead of my monitor and then use my PS4 controller which has been configured as a remote (though with a simple swipe of the touchbar, I can change it back to controller mode thanks to DS4Windows).
I use Mediaplayer Classic via the K-Lite codec pack since it has MadVR so it can send HDR signal to the TV if I am ever watching such a video like movies if need be. I usually highlight all the videos that I want to watch and with a simple click of 'Add to MPC-HC playlist', it will now play all the Youtube videos that I've downloaded back to back with MadVR even upconverting the quality of some low res videos to 4K if need be automatically.
And with this, I can eat while watching some YT videos or animes or Korean variety as I wish depending on what I add to the playlist which I can switch to the next video at any time thanks to the PS4 controller.

I can just say 'Alexa, turn on away' if I want to go out and it'll shut off all the devices that are turned on without me having to manually switch all the devices off.

Amazon Alexa also works with my Xiaomi Robot Vacuum by using the command 'Alexa, start vacuum' and it will clean my room in about 5 minutes while I go off to shower.

With the Echo Dot 2, I can have it make and receive calls for me though I do not wish to use that feature. I am so used to it that I once accidentally almost called Alexa back in the office in order to turn on the lights there. :s13:
It has become 2nd nature without me having to physically move to the device or remote which may not be with me. I love it.
Best of all, it only costs me around $100 for both devices.
I plan to add more around the house in the future since it is just super convenient.

Hi
Im not capable to set up.
Prefer look for ppl to do it.
would you selling your services since you have experience and suceeded in setting up?=:p

233mmx

Reaction score

Which model are you using? Robovac 11?

They have a model Robovac 11c (not available in SG afaik) that can integrate with Alexa via a skill

Coincidentally I am using Eufy Robovac 11 and I can use Alexa to control it but through Broadlink RM Pro & RM Plugin

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

any of u managed to link google home with Broadlink IHC?
I tried the process, but it just dont add.

In my IHC app, under the Voice Service, there are only tmall & Alexa. No Google. Does urs have Google?

Last edited:

domo_Cat

Reaction score
sumbody, i do know a group of friends who are working on this. could you PM me so i can provide you their contacts?

smiggleprincess

Reaction score
maybe it's time to assemble a DIY HA team to help out fellow HWZers :s13:

yes, would love this idea..
have seen quotes like over $2k for smart home automation services:(:eek:
I do believe strongly in being more tech-advanced in our household...
but in SG its so complicated and ex
the awareness is not there
I rather pay for this than some dumb reno cost
in long run, i prob save more... cos my maid & kids keep forgetting to switch off stuff:slant:

Last edited:

233mmx

Reaction score
the awareness in not there

when you pay a fee, the service provider is obliged to deliver the end product to your satisfaction. I suspect bulk of the fees is manpower, not equipment. So far my DIY HA projects don't even add up to $1k but countless hours and late nights spent troubleshooting :s22:

let's see if the other fellow enthusiasts are keen on this idea but you should start doing your own research. The more you know, the less skeptical you will be ;)

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
the awareness is not there
in long run, i prob save more... cos my maid & kids keep forgetting to switch off stuff:slant:

Actually the going rate currently is 3 to 4k , 2k is cheap. The HA landscape now is very varied and common standards are still being fought over and established. It is not easy to make all the devices talk seamlessly to one another and you are actually paying for the integration, not so much the hardware actually. The service provider is also liable to help you sort out problems which can happen when some of these smart devices self brick or stop working after some OTA update. This I doubt most of the bros here will not be able to do because its still hobby level.

Even for hardware I have spent quite abit. This weekend will be spent on integrating my August Smart Lock Pro to Smartthings. Hopefully can use voice to lock and open door. :D

shacboi

Reaction score
Paying for service

The service provider is also liable to help you sort out problems which can happen when some of these smart devices self brick or stop working after some OTA update. This I doubt most of the bros here will not be able to do because its still hobby level.

when you pay a fee, the service provider is obliged to deliver the end product to your satisfaction. I suspect bulk of the fees is manpower, not equipment. So far my DIY HA projects don't even add up to $1k but countless hours and late nights spent troubleshooting :s22:

let's see if the other fellow enthusiasts are keen on this idea but you should start doing your own research. The more you know, the less skeptical you will be ;)

I agreed that need to at least readup/resaerch and know what u want to acheive too? cos there are many products out there , doing similiar, doing different things.. . i believe the salesperson u engage may only know the product that he is familiar , and it may not be the 'best' solution for u.

and i think real-life experiences of the smart devices then will make a person fully 'understand' how it works, i realise talking to people they may have difficulty visualising, or probably maybe they just not so into it perhaps. :s13:

abit lik reading a storybook and watch the story on movie screen is abit different. hah

Last edited:

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anytips on pairing Sonoff, i seems to can't get mine to paired

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.