Home Automation Enthusiasts

shacboi

Reaction score
yeah bro, that's August! it's easy to install ONLY if your door is compatible. Can use bluetooth, but why use bluetooth when you have Z wave! :D Strictly deadbolts and no mortise hor.
I am not really expanding into broadlink because like what Hibbert says, they are screwing everyone up. haha..yup.. i have a mind to use an old tablet for a control panel!!

Hi AsusEpoxy, that's cool.

i'm looking at KEVO ( https://www.kwikset.com/kevo/smart-lock ) , its bluetooth detection, and simple touch to unlock, wat i like is that it looks like a normal lock.... if other family members dun lik 'smart devices' can jus use the tradtional key to unlock as per a normal lock.

it can use app to remote monitor and access too but need additional KEVO hub, which is compartible with Alexa too.

oso a deadbolt function, seems not too bad.

Anyway my Broadlink journey oso cant expand anymore, haha. now i jus digging out an old android tablet, installed the RM plugin, and create some shortcuts on the tablet.... click and it functions just lik hp e-Control app, this will be place at coffeetable acts lik a simple 'Control Panel' ... follow paul hibberts's video guide on 'DIY panel'. :s13:

Last edited:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
So far, my bluetooth lock journey not very smooth. This is due to bluetooth handshaking lag. When you touch to unlock, it takes quite a few secs, 5 secs or more to unlock. In the long run, this is waste of time. I suspect this is due to modern smartphone ram management which will simply kick the app out of memory after app inactivity. Hence the app needs to be loaded back in memory for the proximity unlock to work. Cool in theory, but meh in practice. Do be careful.

How I avoid this is because I use Google Assistant. Since this is a native system app for Android,it doesnt get kicked out. There is lag, but i dont need to be in bt range because its connected via Z-wave. When my lift reach my level, i simply voice command "open sesame", by the time i reach my gate, my door is unlocked.

Hi AsusEpoxy, that's cool.

i'm looking at KEVO ( https://www.kwikset.com/kevo/smart-lock ) , its bluetooth detection, and simple touch to unlock, wat i like is that it looks like a normal lock.... if other family members dun lik 'smart devices' can jus use the tradtional key to unlock as per a normal lock.

it can use app to remote monitor and access too but need additional KEVO hub, which is compartible with Alexa too.

oso a deadbolt function, seems not too bad.

Anyway my Broadlink journey oso cant expand anymore, haha. now i jus digging out an old android tablet, installed the RM plugin, and create some shortcuts on the tablet.... click and it functions just lik hp e-Control app, this will be place at coffeetable acts lik a simple 'Control Panel' ... follow paul hibberts's video guide on 'DIY panel'. :s13:

shacboi

Reaction score
So far, my bluetooth lock journey not very smooth. This is due to bluetooth handshaking lag. When you touch to unlock, it takes quite a few secs, 5 secs or more to unlock. In the long run, this is waste of time. I suspect this is due to modern smartphone ram management which will simply kick the app out of memory after app inactivity. Hence the app needs to be loaded back in memory for the proximity unlock to work. Cool in theory, but meh in practice. Do be careful.

How I avoid this is because I use Google Assistant. Since this is a native system app for Android,it doesnt get kicked out. There is lag, but i dont need to be in bt range because its connected via Z-wave. When my lift reach my level, i simply voice command "open sesame", by the time i reach my gate, my door is unlocked.

arr... thanks for the heads-up on BT lag issue, i tink lik u said, the smartphone now will actualli kill some app in backgrd to save memory or watever, but there are some phones which u can disable which app 'not to kill' function. mayb that will help on this proximity unlock.

anyway u mentioned u using voice cmd to unlock ur door, at ur corridor u realli call out the command to open door ar, lol.

if got guest, will paisey leh. haha :s13:

i realise alot ppl have issue wit giving commands when guests/other ppl are ard.... sumtimes even myself.... when wanan demo to frds... it will cock-up, but when alone at home ... everything flawless, maybe is user problem also. haha

dats y now when demo to frds, i usualli jus demo with e-control app control (i'm using Broadlink RM PRO), or now got this 'coffee table ''control panel' to use..... don't want to confuse them too much, show them Alexa voice cmd to turn on lights then all will confused, that one is another level if they interested.

Last edited:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure my voice range is around the same as bluetooth range. but that's not it. LOL. Google assistant is in everybody's phone right? :s13:
I do the voice command to my phone in normal volume.
Phone->Internet->Home ->Smartthings-> Lock

arr... thanks for the heads-up on BT lag issue, i tink lik u said, the smartphone now will actualli kill some app in backgrd to save memory or watever, but there are some phones which u can disable which app 'not to kill' function. mayb that will help on this proximity unlock.

anyway u mentioned u using voice cmd to unlock ur door, at ur corridor u realli call out the command to open door ar, lol.

if got guest, will paisey leh. haha :s13:

i realise alot ppl have issue wit giving commands when guests/other ppl are ard.... sumtimes even myself.... when wanan demo to frds... it will cock-up, but when alone at home ... everything flawless, maybe is user problem also. haha

dats y now when demo to frds, i usualli jus demo with e-control app control (i'm using Broadlink RM PRO), or now got this 'coffee table ''control panel' to use..... don't want to confuse them too much, show them Alexa voice cmd to turn on lights then all will confused, that one is another level if they interested.

shacboi

Reaction score
I am pretty sure my voice range is around the same as bluetooth range. but that's not it. LOL. Google assistant is in everybody's phone right? :s13:
I do the voice command to my phone in normal volume.
Phone->Internet->Home ->Smartthings-> Lock

hahaha, sorry for a moment i thought u shouting to ur google-home in ur home. haha.

yea, google-assistant on hp, if want to be even more stealth mode, u just type 'open sesame' to your google-assistant chatbox oso will work. Nicee..

LincmahL

Reaction score
EVQ - where did you find the $90 plug on eBay?

I just got the yeelights but don't find it bright enough.

233mmx

Reaction score
This is an awesome update. :s13:

however are you using Android ?
got link to download the updated APK ? cant seems to find online yet.

Latest Alexa app for Android can be found in apkmirror but latest updates seems to be server end and does not require client end updates.

Intercom broadcast was also recently announced both I tried and working

shacboi

Reaction score
Latest Alexa app for Android can be found in apkmirror but latest updates seems to be server end and does not require client end updates.

Intercom broadcast was also recently announced both I tried and working

Hi 233mmx, thanks.

i saw the apk online and the version was really similar to my existing therefore i thought there isnt any new apk, anyways downloaded and tried.

yea, both new routine & the broadcast function works . Nicee.e... :s13:

xpherta

Reaction score
EVQ - where did you find the $90 plug on eBay?

I just got the yeelights but don't find it bright enough.

which yeelight did you get? im looking at the yeelight ceiling light. but website stated that the LED cannot be replaced. so spoil liao means must buy the whole thing again?

shacboi

Reaction score
yeah bro, that's August! it's easy to install ONLY if your door is compatible. Can use bluetooth, but why use bluetooth when you have Z wave! :D Strictly deadbolts and no mortise hor.
I am not really expanding into broadlink because like what Hibbert says, they are screwing everyone up. haha..yup.. i have a mind to use an old tablet for a control panel!!

Hi AsusEpoxy, wanna ask ur AUGUST smart lock 2nd gen, did you try the Bluetooth proximity unlock, how is it ? reliable ? :s22:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi AsusEpoxy, wanna ask ur AUGUST smart lock 2nd gen, did you try the Bluetooth proximity unlock, how is it ? reliable ? :s22:

yo... i din try. Which is why I specifically got the 3rd Gen Pro version with Z wave cos i read the reviews the bluetooth unlock not reliable. So i didnt bother to try it. Its connected to Smartthings which means i am free to use ifttt instead for proximity unlock. Still prefer to use Google assistant to unlock though. :s13:

shacboi

Reaction score
AUGUST smart lock

yo... i din try. Which is why I specifically got the 3rd Gen Pro version with Z wave cos i read the reviews the bluetooth unlock not reliable. So i didnt bother to try it. Its connected to Smartthings which means i am free to use ifttt instead for proximity unlock. Still prefer to use Google assistant to unlock though. :s13:

arrr... i see, i dun have z-wave... and is Android user, therefore this AUGUST 3rd Gen lock (oval-shape) is more appealing to me, plus it suppose to be cheaper. haha

if getting, most probably will be relying on its bluetooth proximity unlock for wife, and mayb i will use the app unlock or google-assistant too! (via Wifi bridge), thats why need ask bout the bluetooth part, i dunwan my wife to nag at me dat it dun work... hahah :s13:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
arrr... i see, i dun have z-wave... and is Android user, therefore this AUGUST 3rd Gen lock (oval-shape) is more appealing to me, plus it suppose to be cheaper. haha

if getting, most probably will be relying on its bluetooth proximity unlock for wife, and mayb i will use the app unlock or google-assistant too! (via Wifi bridge), thats why need ask bout the bluetooth part, i dunwan my wife to nag at me dat it dun work... hahah :s13:

but the wifi bridge reviews are quite bad wor...i read many reviews that you almost have to literally place it beside the door

Epi_curean

Reaction score
Where does one buy August 3rd gen pro for local Z wave? I understand Z wave is different for US, EU and Singapore.

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Where does one buy August 3rd gen pro for local Z wave? I understand Z wave is different for US, EU and Singapore.

there is no pt buying local.even IDA is giving out confusing statements. Their official stand is to adopt Korean Z Wave, but existing Z wave locally is EU based. imo, just go US, they have the biggest market anyway. And as a manufacturer, you want to cater to the biggest market, so US is the way to go

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.