HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #301

Talking

but the wifi bridge reviews are quite bad wor...i read many reviews that you almost have to literally place it beside the door
Hi AsusEpoxy, oh i see.

but if i getting AUGUST lock, definitely i will get the wifi brdige too.. i happen to have 2 unuse sockets right beside door, hope it will not be a problem.

but i got another issue... i realise my door deadbolt lock is quite close to the lower separate handle ... meaning im afraid the bulky AUGUST smart lock pro may not have enough spare to install.... hahaa, the last thing i want to do is to change the handle too.... too many things to change, difficult to get 'Approval'. haha...

Sad... maybe i shld just stick to traditional keylock .....

Last edited by shacboi; 13-04-2018 at 02:13 PM..
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #302
Master Member

Hi AsusEpoxy, oh i see.

but if i getting AUGUST lock, definitely i will get the wifi brdige too.. i happen to have 2 unuse sockets right beside door, hope it will not be a problem.

but i got another issue... i realise my door deadbolt lock is quite close to the lower separate handle ... meaning im afraid the bulky AUGUST smart lock pro may not have enough spare to install.... hahaa, the last thing i want to do is to change the handle too.... too many things to change, difficult to get 'Approval'. haha...

Sad... maybe i shld just stick to traditional keylock .....
i think should be no problem.. usually the incompatibility stems from people mistakenly thinking theirs is a deadbolt when its a mortise.

if u stay near woodlands, perhaps can come my place take a look. we can exchange some pointers. i also need your advice regarding Alexa integration.
shacboi likes this.
Old 13-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #303

Whats the difference between a deadbolt and a mortise lock?
Have you guys heard of Danalock? is it similar to August?
Epi_curean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #304

Talking

Whats the difference between a deadbolt and a mortise lock?
Have you guys heard of Danalock? is it similar to August?
Hi Epi_curean, you can try Google for more details, what I understood is that mortise lock = the handle lever and locking keyhole is on a same long piece of mechanisum, meaning it comes 'bundle' ... you are unable to jus replace either one, it comes in a set.

As for Danalock, i came across it, looks somewhat similar to August too. But I think after googling for awhile, August is the most popular, and followed by Kwikset Kevo..... therefore support, information are there.

Personnaly I will not go for Danalock as the market is not huge, the 'help' u can get maybe oso limited. That's what I think.
Old 16-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #305

Talking

i think should be no problem.. usually the incompatibility stems from people mistakenly thinking theirs is a deadbolt when its a mortise.

if u stay near woodlands, perhaps can come my place take a look. we can exchange some pointers. i also need your advice regarding Alexa integration.

Hi AsusEpoxy, thanks for the invite! but i stayed in East side sia... lol.

Ask u ar, where u buy your August lock ?? Amazon.com ?

I saw video comparing August long shape 3rd gen and the August smart lock Pro..... got a video mentioned that the long shape 3rd gen lock ''makes weird'' noise when locking... not sure is it one-off case product issue, or across all 3rd gen ....

but your smart lock pro locking smooth ? at least dun hav those unwanted , weird noise when locking ?
Old 16-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #306
Master Member

sure have noise cos its motor driven... like those gear sound lo. but its just 1 sec when it locks or unlock, so its bearable.
The August is popular because of marketing.. but tbh, the danalock seems more well though out.
the danalock plus danapad looks much more elegant than august. plus you can repurpose an old smartphone as a dana hub whereas august charges you for the august connect.

Honestly, if i didnt buy the August, I would have gone for Dana instead. it supports both deadbolt and mortise rather than just deadbolt only like August.

I got my August from someone in Carousell who found out their door was incompatible after getting it. So i got a pretty good deal actually.

August Pro $250, Used Smartthings hub $80. August Keypad $94.
All in for a internet connected lock for less than $500...i think still quite ok. Plus smartthings hub allows me the freedom to connect more peripherals... so its somewhat future proofing.

Last edited by AsusEpoxy; 16-04-2018 at 04:05 PM..
AsusEpoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #307

Talking

sure have noise cos its motor driven... like those gear sound lo. but its just 1 sec when it locks or unlock, so its bearable.
The August is popular because of marketing.. but tbh, the danalock seems more well though out.
the danalock plus danapad looks much more elegant than august. plus you can repurpose an old smartphone as a dana hub whereas august charges you for the august connect.

Honestly, if i didnt buy the August, I would have gone for Dana instead. it supports both deadbolt and mortise rather than just deadbolt only like August.

I got my August from someone in Carousell who found out their door was incompatible after getting it. So i got a pretty good deal actually.

August Pro $250, Used Smartthings hub $80. August Keypad $94.
All in for a internet connected lock for less than $500...i think still quite ok. Plus smartthings hub allows me the freedom to connect more peripherals... so its somewhat future proofing.
Hi there, found the video bout the 3rd Gen strange noise https://youtu.be/XJfkpWa3aQM

is the lock den the extra '''grrrrrrrrrr'' sound lik sumthing stuck. haha

if im getting, will buy from amazon.com, they ship directly to SG at ard additional shipping fee US$10.

i dun hav a smartThing, still using broadlink only, therefore bluetooth and Wifi will be good enuf for me, so mayb jus get the 3rd Gen which is cheaper without the z-wave.
Old 17-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #308
Master Member

Hi there, found the video bout the 3rd Gen strange noise https://youtu.be/XJfkpWa3aQM

is the lock den the extra '''grrrrrrrrrr'' sound lik sumthing stuck. haha

if im getting, will buy from amazon.com, they ship directly to SG at ard additional shipping fee US$10.

i dun hav a smartThing, still using broadlink only, therefore bluetooth and Wifi will be good enuf for me, so mayb jus get the 3rd Gen which is cheaper without the z-wave.
Z-wave will be worth your while i feel...I know you are pretty invested in broadlink, but it will be good to diversify i feel because RF and IR are very easily cloned.
Old 17-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #309

Talking

Z-wave will be worth your while i feel...I know you are pretty invested in broadlink, but it will be good to diversify i feel because RF and IR are very easily cloned.
Hi AsusEpoxy, thanks for the recommendation.

But i think my home automation journey kind of gonna stop, no budget liao....
cannot get SmartThings hub...

now only play with normal broadlink light on/off, dats all... not expanding into other areas. (except for the AUGUST smart lock)
Old 17-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #310

there is no pt buying local.even IDA is giving out confusing statements. Their official stand is to adopt Korean Z Wave, but existing Z wave locally is EU based. imo, just go US, they have the biggest market anyway. And as a manufacturer, you want to cater to the biggest market, so US is the way to go
So if you get your z wave US standard, so all your z wave stuff must be US standard right?
US Z wave products can handle 220V?
Old 17-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #311
Master Member

So if you get your z wave US standard, so all your z wave stuff must be US standard right?
US Z wave products can handle 220V?
US Z Wave products can't handle 220v, but i don't intend to use US Z Wave products that use AC current.

Light switches are Xiaomi Zigbee (which although doesnt comply with Zigbee HA standards with suitable DH) can be linked to Smartthings.

My Wall plugs are Sonoff based wifi power stripe with native support for Google Assistant / Amazon Alexa

The rest are direct wifi based products who don't require a hub.

Z Wave sensors and switches are expensive, so there's no incentive to switch to them for me

Last edited by AsusEpoxy; 17-04-2018 at 12:23 PM..
AsusEpoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #312
Master Member

Hi AsusEpoxy, thanks for the recommendation.

But i think my home automation journey kind of gonna stop, no budget liao....
cannot get SmartThings hub...

now only play with normal broadlink light on/off, dats all... not expanding into other areas. (except for the AUGUST smart lock)
nope, my august pro doesnt exhibit that strange grinding noise. Seems like the lock in the video not calibrated maybe?
Old 17-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #313

I am thinking of using OpenHab for my integration. How have your experience been with Smartthings?
Old 17-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #314

Talking

nope, my august pro doesnt exhibit that strange grinding noise. Seems like the lock in the video not calibrated maybe?
ya, that's true... maybe the guy miss out the step. LOL

Updates:
anyway i just ordered the august 3rd gen + wifi connect via amazon.com direct ship to SG! cant wait for it to arrive.... hah

Last edited by shacboi; 18-04-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Old 18-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #315
Master Member

ya, that's true... maybe the guy miss out the step. LOL

Updates:
anyway i just ordered the august 3rd gen + wifi connect via amazon.com direct ship to SG! cant wait for it to arrive.... hah
haha,have fun!!!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.