HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #316

ya, that's true... maybe the guy miss out the step. LOL

Updates:
anyway i just ordered the august 3rd gen + wifi connect via amazon.com direct ship to SG! cant wait for it to arrive.... hah
awesome! let us know how you got on with it. Assume you got the US Z wave standard?
Still deliberating if I should go with Danalock v3 or August 3rd gen
Epi_curean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #317

awesome! let us know how you got on with it. Assume you got the US Z wave standard?
Still deliberating if I should go with Danalock v3 or August 3rd gen
Hi there, august 3rd gen lock only bluetooth. No zwave.

I oso bought the wifi connect bridge to linkup with alexa and google-assistant.
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #318
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech...-stores-apr-20

Google Home now officially available in SG!
Old 18-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #319

Ordered one and looking into seeing how else to automate!

Smart bulbs are the most obvious one, but Phillips Hue Is really a bit ex just for me to start out. Yeelight seems promising but I'll need to read through this thread from the beginning to see what's the consensus on it lol.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech...-stores-apr-20

Google Home now officially available in SG!
Slavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #320

Smart bulbs are the most obvious one, but Phillips Hue Is really a bit ex just for me to start out. Yeelight seems promising but I'll need to read through this thread from the beginning to see what's the consensus on it lol.
Mayb u wanna try this INNR light bulb, alternative to philips hue.

http://www.domotics.sg/innr-an-affor...e-alternative/
LiLAsN likes this.
Old 18-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #321

Thanks for the link! Will look into it. Cost wise seems pretty competitive, although probably not as affordable as the yeelight. Would you have any thoughts on that?

Mayb u wanna try this INNR light bulb, alternative to philips hue.

http://www.domotics.sg/innr-an-affor...e-alternative/
Old 18-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #322

I am quite worried these systems get hack in my home. Maybe i am watching too much movies. haha. Any advice on some ways to secure the home automation devices?
bluzfin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:57 AM   #323

Thanks for the link! Will look into it. Cost wise seems pretty competitive, although probably not as affordable as the yeelight. Would you have any thoughts on that?
Haha i just came across the article, im not using Philips hue or Innr,

But the article wrote dat Innr is fully compatible with Philips hue integration den it will be better choice since price is better i personally think.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #324

Invest in a good router that have good security features. Asus, Netgear or any reputable brands have such features build in. That will be your primary defense for your home network.

I am quite worried these systems get hack in my home. Maybe i am watching too much movies. haha. Any advice on some ways to secure the home automation devices?
Aditshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #325

I agree! Just that right now I'm dipping my toes into home automation and putting down money for a phillips hue/Innr bulbs when yeelight is an affordable alternative to try out first...

Haha i just came across the article, im not using Philips hue or Innr,

But the article wrote dat Innr is fully compatible with Philips hue integration den it will be better choice since price is better i personally think.
Old 19-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #326
Master Member

Invest in a good router that have good security features. Asus, Netgear or any reputable brands have such features build in. That will be your primary defense for your home network.
to add on, when planning out your HA topology, using RF or IR for simple home fitting control is fine, but do not use them for security related stuff like intruder sensors and locks as they can be easily cloned. Zigbee and Z Wave are dedicated home automation protocols that support much higher security levels.No point having a good router and then getting hacked by someone using a short wave radio sniffer.
Old 19-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #327
Master Member

1 common fallacy is that although it is good to have smart bulbs and lamps, all these require the physical switch to be always on. All it takes is 1 person who doesnt follow your home HA rules to switch off the switch and your smart light fitting is off and cant be controlled.

It would also be good to consider smart switches instead. The on/off control is at the switch level and means that any dumb bulb or light fitting becomes smart due to the switch. This greatly increases the variety of led bulbs and lights you can control. However you will lose granular settings like color temperature and brightness of cos
shacboi likes this.
Old 19-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #328

Thanks for the advice! Currently not in a position to make any changes to my housing conditions, so that's why I'm just dipping a bit in smart home living now. Smart switches are definitely something to be considered in the future.

1 common fallacy is that although it is good to have smart bulbs and lamps, all these require the physical switch to be always on. All it takes is 1 person who doesnt follow your home HA rules to switch off the switch and your smart light fitting is off and cant be controlled.

It would also be good to consider smart switches instead. The on/off control is at the switch level and means that any dumb bulb or light fitting becomes smart due to the switch. This greatly increases the variety of led bulbs and lights you can control. However you will lose granular settings like color temperature and brightness of cos
Old 19-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #329

Talking Bulbs or Light Switches

Thanks for the advice! Currently not in a position to make any changes to my housing conditions, so that's why I'm just dipping a bit in smart home living now. Smart switches are definitely something to be considered in the future.

Hi Slavor, what AsusEpoxy said is true. If possible, change the light switch is more cost effective as a light switch may control like 1 to 6 downlights in a room for example.

so if you are looking to change all the bulbs in the house can be quite costly even you get the cheaper alternative.

But understand in your position, sometimes you cant make the decision alone, for my case my wife at first don't allow me to change the switches in the house too! LOL.
Old 19-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #330

I have a few smart bulbs at the moment and ready to 'progress' into next level of automation. I am considering smart switches so I can also control my tracklights and if possible, ceiling fan.

I just found out that most smart switches require a neutral wire, which (I think) my HDB flat does not have. What are my other options?

Also, I'd need it to work with Google Home. Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers.
zc_squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.