HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #376

For broadlink rm pro users, just to share my recent experience when my xiaomi mi box 'up the lorry' and refused to boot up anymore after about 1 year.

Was lucky that I did backup the devices, codes and macros to my phone using the rm plugin app's share data function. After setting up the new Android box was able to restore the abovementioned without much issues.

Personally I've not good experiences with xiaomi products, they dun last long under me

Anyone needing an Android setup box can consider Mecool M8S Pro L. 3gb ram, 32gb storage, bluetooth remote with Google Assistant built-in

Last edited by 233mmx; 15-05-2018 at 04:41 AM..
233mmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #377

In my opinion Google Home is an extension of Google Assistant. There are quite a no. of ways to choose for home automation and how intensive you want to integrate to your home. With every new updates, there will bound to have compatibility and stablity issues.

My current setup is using broadlink TC2 switches, RM pro/RM mini, vstacam ipcam, google home devices, nvidia shield tv devices and yamaha musiccast devices.

There are hiccups once in a while during app updates and all but overall experiences, it was good.

It's great to see more home automation enthusiasts coming on board especially after Google Home officially launched in SG. The features set will only get better and better. Just hope Google doesn't geolock their features like Amazon does with Alexa.

Hope to see more GH enthusiasts coming on board to help the others out. I've only gone so far as to integrate Google search on my AA
Aditshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #378
Master Member

It's great to see more home automation enthusiasts coming on board especially after Google Home officially launched in SG. The features set will only get better and better. Just hope Google doesn't geolock their features like Amazon does with Alexa.

Hope to see more GH enthusiasts coming on board to help the others out. I've only gone so far as to integrate Google search on my AA
yeah! love the knowledge sharing here
Old 15-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #379
Master Member

Anyone needing an Android setup box can consider Mecool M8S Pro L. 3gb ram, 32gb storage, bluetooth remote with Google Assistant built-in
how much is it and where to recommended to buy from? Lazada?
Old 15-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #380

So anyone here manage to use google home and harmony to get the scv box to select individual channel? please advise. thanks

"ok google,ask harmony change TV channel 501''... i will get the reply cant find the activities. But i can get harmony to switch on/off TV and cable.
saintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #381

how much is it and where to recommended to buy from? Lazada?
I bought it from Aliexpress.com for abt US$69. My Xiaomi Mi Box 3s cost me abt S$110 from Qoo10.
Old 15-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #382

So anyone here manage to use google home and harmony to get the scv box to select individual channel? please advise. thanks

"ok google,ask harmony change TV channel 501''... i will get the reply cant find the activities. But i can get harmony to switch on/off TV and cable.
Any options in Harmony to preset channels (favourites?) and hence select the preset channels? Just trying to help...

But seriously, changing channels with remote (aka couch surfing) is pretty enjoyable too. There's really no need to voice automate everything. If you can already control all your AV devices with a single harmony remote, it's really good enough already IMHO
Old 15-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #383

There are quite a no. of ways to choose for home automation and how intensive you want to integrate to your home. With every new updates, there will bound to have compatibility and stablity issues.
Well said, I think there's a limit to the automation beyond which it's no longer sensible or worthwhile.

My current setup is using broadlink TC2 switches, RM pro/RM mini, vstacam ipcam, google home devices, nvidia shield tv devices and yamaha musiccast devices.
shield TV is premium stuff which I have not bear to invest in. I still have a working PS3 for my gaming craves.

You have a great setup and must be enjoying it everyday
Old 15-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #384

What I feel could be the killer feature to push HA into mainstream adoption in SG would be voice shopping.

During recent Google I/O, they demo-ed how GA was able to call businesses over fixed line telephone to make reservations for dinner and hair treatment.

That's what busy (and maybe also lazy) Singaporeans need, LOL!

I want to be able to also order food, drinks, book a grab ride with just my voice. It's already available in US and other countries but here's hoping someone will do it in Singapore.
Old 15-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #385
Supremacy Member

i'm thinking that this would be rolled out easier, if both customers AND shops uses google assistant for bookings or shopping.. A robot by right should be able to understand another robot..

What I feel could be the killer feature to push HA into mainstream adoption in SG would be voice shopping.

During recent Google I/O, they demo-ed how GA was able to call businesses over fixed line telephone to make reservations for dinner and hair treatment.

I want to be able to also order food, drinks, book a grab ride with just my voice. It's already available in US and other countries but here's hoping someone will do it in Singapore.
hexanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #386
Master Member

actually i wouldnt want this...cos I got a feeling that big G will tie up and default order with retailers who give them the biggest cut. Usually i buy online cos i want a better deal at the best price...and very often lowest price is not the main/big retailer sites. Convenient yes, but think will cost us more maybe?
Old 15-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #387

Well i used to have Mi Box but the lag and support was so bad that i decided to jump the gun and get nvidia shield tv. Never look back eversince. Mostly i use the shield as to control my home automation and media needs.

Well said, I think there's a limit to the automation beyond which it's no longer sensible or worthwhile.

shield TV is premium stuff which I have not bear to invest in. I still have a working PS3 for my gaming craves.

You have a great setup and must be enjoying it everyday
Aditshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #388

Any options in Harmony to preset channels (favourites?) and hence select the preset channels? Just trying to help...
THANK! you solve my problem
saintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #389

THANK! you solve my problem
Dun mention it

Glad to help out
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.