HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #31
Master Member

Many people get the wrong concept of "Smart Home" it's not just turning on/off lights with voice/apps. That's pointless.

It must have the ability to perform a certain sequence, examples,

-When no motion detected for 10mins, auto turn off
-Temperature drops to a certain threshold turn off aircon, turn on fan
-Windows not closed for x mins after air con turn on, switch it off or won't allow it to turn on.
-window blinds automatically closes when the sun is shining directly in
-smart electric plugs that have electricity metering feature, you can attach to washing machine/dryer it will monitor the current usage, once it's dropped to very low current, eg standby, it cuts the power

and most importantly, measure the electricity consumption of your electronics
koohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #32
Master Member

and one more thing to take note...
Security for IoT devices, includes Smart home systems.
It's in it's infancy in Singapore, just like when Wi-Fi routers are being introduced in homes, you see lots of unsecured "linksys" SSID

http://www.csoonline.com/article/302...e-devices.html
koohansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #33

Many people get the wrong concept of "Smart Home" it's not just turning on/off lights with voice/apps. That's pointless.

It must have the ability to perform a certain sequence, examples,

-When no motion detected for 10mins, auto turn off
-Temperature drops to a certain threshold turn off aircon, turn on fan
-Windows not closed for x mins after air con turn on, switch it off or won't allow it to turn on.
-window blinds automatically closes when the sun is shining directly in
-smart electric plugs that have electricity metering feature, you can attach to washing machine/dryer it will monitor the current usage, once it's dropped to very low current, eg standby, it cuts the power

and most importantly, measure the electricity consumption of your electronics
Hi koohansen, do you mind to share more with me on how we can achieve this kind of home automation? Or is there any good reliable ones in the market? You may introduce to me via PM

Last edited by Shermie; 03-09-2017 at 12:49 AM..
Shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #34

Hi,

Moving into my new house end of the year. I am currently building my HA using open source software and hardware. Raspberry PI will be my hub which runs OpenHAB2 and Mosquitto MQTT. The switches, lights and sensors will be controlled by Sonoff switches and Wemos D1 Mini or Arduino sensors. All the stock firmware have to be reflashed with open source version. Wifi will be the communication protocol between the devices.

The level of technical skill is high. You need to be proficient in software and hardware but the cost is very low and will be happy to share this journey.
Hi gheesung, did you set up the whole system by yourself? I definitely don't have any technical skills, but would like to find out more from you on your journey to home automation!
bongpb likes this.
Shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #35

Hi all,

Anyone knows if the MCO Home Touch Panel Switch can still be turned on and off manually even if the z wave technology is down?

Thanks!
dduskk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #36

i did up my home myself with china product broadlink and enable voice control with amazon echo dot. spent about $400 only cheap cheap.
I was thinking of this setup also. Kind to share what are the brands of devices you connect to like switches etc?

Also I heard to connect broad link and echo dot you need an additional android device to act as a bridge. Is it true?
Christopher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have recently acquired Google Home, Smartthings, and Harmony Hub. I have done the following :
- Lnked up Google/Harmony Connect to my Smartthings.
-Created Devices under Harmony app, and created Activities - Turn on TV, Turn off TV
- Under Google Home app, Home Control, I have linked up Smartthings/Samsung Connect.

I would like to know how I can control my TV ( e.g turn on the TV ) via Google Home voice assistant ?

( I understand that Google Home can be linked directly to Harmony Hub, but I was hoping to do it via Smartthings )

Ryan
RyanJosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #38

so exciting google big plans for google AI, wifi, assistant , VR.
Namisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM   #39

Hi everyone,

is there any light switch that is not touchscreen and fits the Singapore 86mm socket? Plannning to construct through Smartthings. And does anyone know if there are any contractor that helps install these?

Thanks!
bongpb likes this.
samthedirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #40

Im having broadlink rm pro with echo dot 2nd gen. Usebthe IHC app for ur rm pro and it can be link to ur echo dot without the bridge. However there is a catch... Only 'tv remote' can b discover by echo dot, therefore watever device u wanted ur echo dot to b able to control needs to b learn as tv remote for now as workaround.

I was thinking of this setup also. Kind to share what are the brands of devices you connect to like switches etc?

Also I heard to connect broad link and echo dot you need an additional android device to act as a bridge. Is it true?
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #41

For anyone who would like to share your home automation experience.
Hi all, im new to HA too. I came across the inexpensive broadlink rm pro and decided to try it out, that's how it all get started.

Right now my rm pro is controlling 4 RF brandless socket (which r all use for lamps and standing lights), tv, aircon, cable box using IHC app.

Recently added Echo Dot(Alexa) and try to link up the voice control. The only thing is that as of now only broadlink tv remote template is recognised by Alexa. So all my devices i have to use 'tv remote template' to learn the buttons in order to linkup with Alexa as workaround.

Wanted to try out broadlink TC2 wall switches in future, need to convince wife first.

How bout u guys? 😂

Last edited by shacboi; 26-10-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Old 26-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #42

Hi all, im new to HA too. I came across the inexpensive broadlink rm pro and decided to try it out, that's how it all get started.

Right now my rm pro is controlling 4 RF brandless socket (which r all use for lamps and standing lights), tv, aircon, cable box using IHC app.

Recently added Echo Dot(Alexa) and try to link up the voice control. The only thing is that as of now only broadlink tv remote template is recognised by Alexa. So all my devices i have to use 'tv remote template' to learn the buttons in order to linkup with Alexa as workaround.

Wanted to try out broadlink TC2 wall switches in future, need to convince wife first.

How bout u guys? 😂
looks like we are on similar setups. I am using RM pro bridge with an android box. The IHC app is quite badly done though. Now patiently waiting for my sono one speaker, then I will then move the echo dot 2 into the living room.

Can share the brandless RF socket you are using? intending to get a few.
sellwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #43

looks like we are on similar setups. I am using RM pro bridge with an android box. The IHC app is quite badly done though. Now patiently waiting for my sono one speaker, then I will then move the echo dot 2 into the living room.

Can share the brandless RF socket you are using? intending to get a few.
I agree IHC also needs improvement but since it can linkup wit Alexa so im sticking to it for now.

Im unable to post fotos here.... The brandless rf sockets i bought from shopee. Actually there r quite a few.. U can easily search there.. Or AliExpress. I bought a pack of 4... Comes Wit one rf remote. Since it is using rf 433mhz, i let rm pro learn the code and use rm pro app to control the sockets.

I bought from this seller in shopee, https://shopee.sg/product/6246308/31643103/
bout $28.40.

The thing is im not sure if the remote only have 4 rf codes, so lets say if we get 2 pack-of-4, and setup all the 8 rf sockets, with the remote on for no.1, i wonder is it applicable for 2 no.1 sockets, u get wat i mean ? therefore till now i only use 1 pack-of-4 though.

Last edited by shacboi; 26-10-2017 at 01:52 PM..
Old 27-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #44

any review of KNX Home Automation by Schneider Electric?
jolintay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #45

Came across a kickstarter smartwatch project which have siri/google/alexa on the same watch and can choose the assistants... Lik not bad leh.

Not the usual health or steps monitor smartwatch.

below referral link

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...l-d?ref=bzgnre

Last edited by shacboi; 10-11-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.