HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #556
Master Member

How much does it cost to get someone to help me change the switches? My house was Reno before and when I open up the 3 gang switch the wiring seems complicated and I am not very confident of changing. There seems to be 3 "live" wire and 3 neutral. Do I poke all 3 into the L hole of the smart switch and the 3 neutral to L1, 2 and 3?
tazzi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #557

My current setup

RM pro to control all the RF switches and RF devices
RM mini to supplement the rooms to control aircons
All lighting switches are swapped to TC2 switches.
All windows blinds powered with RF motors
Power points that requires 'smart' on/off are placed with safevue RF plugs (standing lamp, standing fan, led light, coffee machines, air purifier etc)
Nvidia Shield tv box hooked up to Soundbars and tvs to serves as Google Home Assistant.
Yamaha sound system with musiccast function to cast network radio or spotify
IP-Cams to monitor the living room area and to ensure the smart lightings are working (when im in doubt)

I opt for google assistant on handphone and nvidia shield to voice control all the smart home devices.

Just to check, how much for the window blind RF controller and what brand u using
Cedesria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #558

Generic DIY RF motor from aliexpress for 90 bucks

Just to check, how much for the window blind RF controller and what brand u using
Aditshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #559
Master Member

How much does it cost to get someone to help me change the switches? My house was Reno before and when I open up the 3 gang switch the wiring seems complicated and I am not very confident of changing. There seems to be 3 "live" wire and 3 neutral. Do I poke all 3 into the L hole of the smart switch and the 3 neutral to L1, 2 and 3?
if it looks complicated, that means theres no neutral. if not confident to do trial and error,should approach an electrician to do. the reassignment of the cables can be messy affair, it took me more than an hour to figure out per switch
Old 11-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #560
Master Member

if it looks complicated, that means theres no neutral. if not confident to do trial and error,should approach an electrician to do. the reassignment of the cables can be messy affair, it took me more than an hour to figure out per switch

Are ceiling fan suitable for smart switches? Cause 1 of my original 3 gang switch connects to a ceiling with led lights.
tazzi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #561
Master Member

Are ceiling fan suitable for smart switches? Cause 1 of my original 3 gang switch connects to a ceiling with led lights.
it depends on the smart switch you are getting. Generally smart switches with no neutral support lower loads whereas those with neutral support higher loads ( at this juncture the load supported is dependent on the wire gauge used, and the circuit breaker used to control the group )

most ceiling fans are pretty low loads, even more so with those DC energy saving types
Old 13-08-2018, 06:18 AM   #562

My Simple Smart home Set up for approx SGD350 part from TaaBao

Living Room
Broadlink RM Pro(IHC) + Echo Dot + Broadlink S2 Alarm Kit
- Yoogee light switch x 10pcs for whole house (no neutral wire version)
- Ceiling Fan
- Aircon
- TV
- Robot Vacuum
- Door sensor for storeroom light to auto on/off (S2 Alarm Kit with e control)

Sonoff S20 (ewelink app with Alexa voice control)
-Water Kettle
-Standing Fan

Toilet Light
-Motion sensor to auto on/off (S2 Alarm Kit with econtrol)

Water Heater
-Digital timer

Master BedRoom
Broadlink black bean (IHC) + Goolge Assistant on Galaxy S9 plus
-Aircon
-Ceiling Fan
-TV
-TV Box

Last edited by S750WP; 13-08-2018 at 09:48 AM..
S750WP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #563

Any of you guys know how to get Google routines under the Google Home App? I’ve tried it both on iOS and Android, I updated both sets of apps and set the default language to English(US) but routines still doesn’t show up. Any idea why?
Elon Jobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #564

Under Google assistant, it can be named 'shortcuts' or 'routines'

Any of you guys know how to get Google routines under the Google Home App? I’ve tried it both on iOS and Android, I updated both sets of apps and set the default language to English(US) but routines still doesn’t show up. Any idea why?
Old 14-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #565

Yeah, I already have shortcuts. I understand routines is out in the States and it’s a better version of shortcuts- multiple actions can be taken with a single command and GHM can also reply in speech what your typed out beforehand.
Old 14-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #566

Under Google assistant, it can be named 'shortcuts' or 'routines'
I switched on my spare Samsung and suddenly it’s there! So setting the language to English(US) on an Andriod device works! You just got to be patient and wait a while for the server to update. Now I can get routines and command GHM to respond in my custom command!

https://youtu.be/pXokZHP9kZg
(The four minute mark)

Last edited by Elon Jobs; 15-08-2018 at 12:34 AM..
Old 15-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #567

For multiple actions, i rather use scene on ihc app and link it to GH. Google tend to screw up my settings. Its 'hit n miss' kinda thingy.

Yeah, I already have shortcuts. I understand routines is out in the States and it’s a better version of shortcuts- multiple actions can be taken with a single command and GHM can also reply in speech what your typed out beforehand.
Old 15-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #568

For multiple actions, i rather use scene on ihc app and link it to GH. Google tend to screw up my settings. Its 'hit n miss' kinda thingy.
I agree, but I was looking into routines specifically because I usually play Spotify on my GHM at night, so now with routines, when I say Hey Google, goodnight, it will activate the scene in IHC to switch of the light etc, and then it will automatically stop playing Spotify and then ask me what time to set alarm for the next door, followed by the goodnight message I have preset in routines. Previously, I have to say Hey Google, “turn off lights”; Hey Google, “stop music”; Hey Google, “goodnight”.
Old 16-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #569

Icic. That a nice integration to the system.

I agree, but I was looking into routines specifically because I usually play Spotify on my GHM at night, so now with routines, when I say Hey Google, goodnight, it will activate the scene in IHC to switch of the light etc, and then it will automatically stop playing Spotify and then ask me what time to set alarm for the next door, followed by the goodnight message I have preset in routines. Previously, I have to say Hey Google, “turn off lights”; Hey Google, “stop music”; Hey Google, “goodnight”.
Old Today, 03:34 PM   #570

Hi, loved reading all the members setup and experiences here. The company that I work for is starting a new department to look into HA and I'm being placed in that department. The market now is really in its infant stage. I can see how this can be very confusing for someone who is not tech savvy.

Anyway, I've a question regarding screen casting. I would like to cast my desktop screen(no wifi card, only LAN) to my TV. The information I've gathered online regarding casting devices (Chromecast, Anycast, EZcast, etc.) usually only mentions that wifi casting is/isn't supported. I'm still uncertain if I can just get a chromecast, plug it into my TV and then things will work.

Anyone has any experience in this area mind to share more?

Cheers
Zelphiee is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.