HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #781

Broadlink Experience Centre opening on 11th. Will head down soon to check things out and update here if I find anything interesting.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #782

So far most of the energy monitoring features are built into smart plugs.

Has anyone come across options for smart switches with built in energy monitoring?
collectees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:19 AM   #783

Bought some from Lazada(https://is.gd/5o4Z39), came with above features which is not bad.

Has anyone come across options for smart switches with built in energy monitoring?

Last edited by endrue; 11-04-2019 at 06:21 AM..
endrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #784

I am using the Kasa and Meross smart plugs. Reason for the variation is because the Meross smart plugs can actually fit inside my cable management compartment where my wall switches are located.

Best part is not only can you monitor the current power draw, weekly and monthly report of your usage but... the fact that I can set timings on them. So for example, with the charger plug where all my charging devices are connected to, I can set it to turn off after 2 hours which is the typical time it takes to make sure all devices such as my phone is topped up to full and it prevents the device from overcharging for too long.

I can also set timings of when it should turn on and off. How is this useful? Well I can leave all my devices plugged in and just go to bed. At for example 4 a.m., I can set it to turn on and thus charge my devices. By 6 a.m., all devices are charged and the smart plug turns itself off. This ensures that by morning, you'll have a phone idling at 100% as opposed to losing charge at night and waking up to maybe 95%.

Also, both smart plugs are compatible with Amazon Alexa. So in 1 command, I can turn it on or off and even combine it as a group with my Hue light and Broadlink to turn on my airconditioner. This means that with 1 Alexa command, I can literally set the room lighting, turn on the aircon and turn on my PC all at once. Quite useful I'd say.

Last edited by LiLAsN; 11-04-2019 at 06:28 AM..
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #785

Bought some from Lazada(https://is.gd/5o4Z39), came with above features which is not bad.
I like the design of this smart plug and will consider it for individual devices. Do you use it with GH or AA?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #786

I am using the Kasa and Meross smart plugs. Reason for the variation is because the Meross smart plugs can actually fit inside my cable management compartment where my wall switches are located.

Best part is not only can you monitor the current power draw, weekly and monthly report of your usage but... the fact that I can set timings on them. So for example, with the charger plug where all my charging devices are connected to, I can set it to turn off after 2 hours which is the typical time it takes to make sure all devices such as my phone is topped up to full and it prevents the device from overcharging for too long.

I can also set timings of when it should turn on and off. How is this useful? Well I can leave all my devices plugged in and just go to bed. At for example 4 a.m., I can set it to turn on and thus charge my devices. By 6 a.m., all devices are charged and the smart plug turns itself off. This ensures that by morning, you'll have a phone idling at 100% as opposed to losing charge at night and waking up to maybe 95%.

Also, both smart plugs are compatible with Amazon Alexa. So in 1 command, I can turn it on or off and even combine it as a group with my Hue light and Broadlink to turn on my airconditioner. This means that with 1 Alexa command, I can literally set the room lighting, turn on the aircon and turn on my PC all at once. Quite useful I'd say.
Thank you for sharing your cool setup, I use GH and I see that it is supported by both Kasa and Meross.

Are you referring to the Meross Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitor and Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring?
LiLAsN likes this.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #787

Yes, I use it with GH. And it works really well surprisingly.

I like the design of this smart plug and will consider it for individual devices. Do you use it with GH or AA?

Last edited by endrue; 11-04-2019 at 10:22 PM..
endrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 PM   #788

Thank you for sharing your cool setup, I use GH and I see that it is supported by both Kasa and Meross.

Are you referring to the Meross Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitor and Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring?
You are on point! It's those 2. Honestly, both apps look almost identically the same due to both having the same feature sets. You can go with any of them and be happy with either. Both are bought in Singapore. Kasa via Qoo10 and Meross via Carousell.

Kasa

Meross

Last edited by LiLAsN; 12-04-2019 at 12:07 AM..
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #789
Master Member

The Aqara Neutral switches feature energy monitoring
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #790

The Aqara Neutral switches feature energy monitoring
This is an interesting find and I like that it's by Xiaomi, I already use several of their products. In fact, I have the Aqara IP camera!

I see that you are using several of these from a previous discussion where the non-neutral version kept dying on you. I read through Aqara's catalog but there is no mention of energy monitoring. Is this a feature that they recently introduced in their app or are you using a different app?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #791
Master Member

This is an interesting find and I like that it's by Xiaomi, I already use several of their products. In fact, I have the Aqara IP camera!

I see that you are using several of these from a previous discussion where the non-neutral version kept dying on you. I read through Aqara's catalog but there is no mention of energy monitoring. Is this a feature that they recently introduced in their app or are you using a different app?

the non neutral ones dont feature, but the neutral ones do. its been there for some time actually.
Old 15-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #792

the non neutral ones dont feature, but the neutral ones do. its been there for some time actually.
I've read through your posts in another thread ([Official] Home Automation Thread), especially the post where you placed the switch in your lights/fan. I think your solution may work for me. I understand that you're using this Aqara Wireless Remote Switch, but which Xiaomi Zigbee Socket switch are you referring to?
Old 16-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #793

I've read through your posts in another thread ([Official] Home Automation Thread), especially the post where you placed the switch in your lights/fan. I think your solution may work for me. I understand that you're using this Aqara Wireless Remote Switch, but which Xiaomi Zigbee Socket switch are you referring to?
You can consider the Xiaomi Aqara "Two-way control module Wireless Relay Controller " as well.

Connection Diagram 1:

Connection Diagram 2:
Old 16-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #794

You can consider the Xiaomi Aqara "Two-way control module Wireless Relay Controller " as well.

Connection Diagram 1:

Connection Diagram 2:
Thank you for chiming in! I want to continue with Xiaomi's ecosystem as I use several of their products. I was unable to find much details about this product, but it does have energy monitoring.

How do you get Aqara's range of wall switches or wireless relay to work with voice command via Google Home?
Old 16-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #795

How do you get Aqara's range of wall switches or wireless relay to work with voice command via Google Home?
Most people would use either Home Assistant or OpenHAB. I use HA and then my voice can go through either GH or Alexa to control my devices.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.