HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #826

This one works with Tuya Smart Life app, which I personally don't like

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.
singcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #827
Master Member

Guys, looking to go into home automation for my new bto. But the information here is overload. Anyone can point the direction to where to begin?
thenakedshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #828

Guys, looking to go into home automation for my new bto. But the information here is overload. Anyone can point the direction to where to begin?
Wah kao. The reason why information is loaded here is because this is a huge topic. There's no condensed guide because it's just too varied, I've looked through many guides and realize you have to look specifically what you want to understand it.

You can start with this video to get a rough idea:

After that you will need to look up what you want to know and ask the questions here. This video guide is not the most detailed or the best, but it's one of the easier to understand video after looking through the many on youtube.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #829

First thing first, ensure all your light switches point has Neutral wire. You need Neutral wire for the smart WIFI light switch.
Next, estimate how many smart speakers (such as Google Home, Amazon Alexa, etc) and where you want to put. You need a power point at each location (and if you could change your power point to those travel adapter type to be compatible with US wall plug because high chance you will buy from US or China then you won't need an adapter like me...).

Then, think about if you want motorized curtain/blind. You will need a power point near the window location.
Also, buy Wifi enabled electrical appliances (such as air con, vacuum robot, etc) or think about where you want to put a infrared blaster to on/off your tv, aircon (if it is not wifi enabled).

Old 11-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #830

https://sg.carousell.com/p/smart-swi...ome-227831847/

Interesting, another Zigbee light switch for those looking for one.
Old 14-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #831
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wah kao. The reason why information is loaded here is because this is a huge topic. There's no condensed guide because it's just too varied, I've looked through many guides and realize you have to look specifically what you want to understand it.

You can start with this video to get a rough idea:

After that you will need to look up what you want to know and ask the questions here. This video guide is not the most detailed or the best, but it's one of the easier to understand video after looking through the many on youtube.
i really jin lost haha. thanks vulpix for the link. later i go watch. hopefully, i this tech idiot can absorb enough to know how to take the first step.

Luc777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #832
Arch-Supremacy Member

gg i still blur. i think i just go down the broadlink centre someone posted earlier on.

Old 14-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #833

i really jin lost haha. thanks vulpix for the link. later i go watch. hopefully, i this tech idiot can absorb enough to know how to take the first step.
Lots of people here more expert than me. Got questions just ask here.
Old 14-05-2019, 06:15 PM   #834
Arch-Supremacy Member

any recommended brands for switches to convert normal lights to smart lights other than kyla?

searched the thread and kyla was not recommended.

or getting the smart lights like philips is better?

thanks!

Old 14-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #835

any recommended brands for switches to convert normal lights to smart lights other than kyla?

searched the thread and kyla was not recommended.

or getting the smart lights like philips is better?

thanks!
Do you have neutral wire or a plug next to your switch?
If you have, then you could use Wifi enabled switch.
Else you have to use RF switch plus a hub (to send signal to the RF switch).

Old 14-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #836
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do you have neutral wire or a plug next to your switch?
If you have, then you could use Wifi enabled switch.
Else you have to use RF switch plus a hub (to send signal to the RF switch).

chim. i have not started reno yet, so i just ask my electrician to set up neutral wire for me can liao?

the video vulpix shared mentioned that its better to use a home hub rather than direct wifi to reduce the strain on the routers?

assuming im going with google home and samsung home hub

i just have to look for samsung compatible smart lights, fans, door locks and curtains and proceed to set up?

the intercom and air con are standardized brands. are there any ways to allow me to control them from my phone?

sorry for the questions if they sound dumb cos im totally new to this.

thanks!

Old 15-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #837

chim. i have not started reno yet, so i just ask my electrician to set up neutral wire for me can liao?

the video vulpix shared mentioned that its better to use a home hub rather than direct wifi to reduce the strain on the routers?

i just have to look for samsung compatible smart lights, fans, door locks and curtains and proceed to set up?

the intercom and air con are standardized brands. are there any ways to allow me to control them from my phone?

thanks!
If possible, better to use wifi switch. The reason is, you would know the status (on/off) of the switch. For RF switch, you won't know whether it is on or off. Wifi switches won't have much strain on your router la, i got 5 wifi switches, no problem.
But, yes, you still need a hub (whether samsung or google or amazon brand) to control other RF devices.

Take note that, if your aircon is not Wifi or RF enabled, you would most probably need another IR (infrared) blaster in each room because IR remote control signal needs light of sight.

Old 15-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #838

Samsung SmartThings support both Zigbee and Z-Wave but Z-Wave has frequency differences for different geographic regions. https://www.smartthings.com/products has searchable listing. But be aware of bulb size difference between USA and SG - we generally use UK standard for electrical. You probably need to consider where you want to buy your Z-Wave items and the frequency.

Is the intercom RF? What brand is that?
Aircon as mentioned is usually infrared. So you need IR hub like Broadlink or Xiaomi.
Old 15-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #839

If possible, better to use wifi switch. The reason is, you would know the status (on/off) of the switch. For RF switch, you won't know whether it is on or off. Wifi switches won't have much strain on your router la, i got 5 wifi switches, no problem.
But, yes, you still need a hub (whether samsung or google or amazon brand) to control other RF devices.

Take note that, if your aircon is not Wifi or RF enabled, you would most probably need another IR (infrared) blaster in each room because IR remote control signal needs light of sight.

Is there a wifi switch in the market that doesn't require a cloud service to work? I honestly do not want to use a wifi switch because of that. If SmartLife or something the company decided to switch off the cloud my switch cannot be used with voice commands anymore.
Old 15-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #840

thanks!
The reduce wifi strain heavily depends on how many devices you are going to run in your network. If you have like 10 switches only, then it's not going to be a big issue. But the advantage of using a specific hub is how the hub often has functionality that can integrate multiple items working together even if they are different brands.

You can control your aircon via Sensibo, I do not have any experience with this Intercom thing, but I can speak to another person on the same Google home network if I have multiple Google home mini in different areas of my home.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.