Home Automation Enthusiasts

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ever consider off loading your automation devices to a separate hub? With over 50 devices and each pinging the router round the clock sequentially, all of them will have lag regardless how powerful your processor is.

Can share more on this ? i am trying to decide between using direct wifi vs hub for smart switches i am going to get. Generally, is there more advantage to use a hub gateway than individual wifi ? I am deciding between buying Aqara hub1M and Aqara light switches vs Smatful Wifi switches. Thanks

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
i mean i can only manually assign up to 64 wifi device with local IP. Its a limitation set by the router.
Ah, okay, I believe you're talking about reserving DHCP IP addresses.
If yes, any reason why you want to lock down their IPs? Doing MAC filtering too?

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay, I believe you're talking about reserving DHCP IP addresses.
If yes, any reason why you want to lock down their IPs? Doing MAC filtering too?
Yes i am referring to reserving IP address. It is easier for me to know what are the device connected and easy to pick up unauthorized device with a new IP

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i mean i can only manually assign up to 64 wifi device with local IP. Its a limitation set by the router.
May I find out which router that can assign 64 ? My max is 32.

Yes i am referring to reserving IP address. It is easier for me to know what are the device connected and easy to pick up unauthorized device with a new IP
I am doing IP address reservation as well. (y)

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can get just 1 router and 2 additional mesh like Asus Zenwifi XT to increase the coverage

My focus is on redundancy rather than coverage.

My setup consists of 2x routers with a spare. The 3 sets are the same make/model/version.
Two routers are active that uses fixed IP. One is for general use and the other for home automation.

I actively backup'ed the config for the two active routers.
The day finally came when one router was having some weird issues.
The spare was loaded wit the config file to replace it.

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My focus is on redundancy rather than coverage.

My setup consists of 2x routers with a spare. The 3 sets are the same make/model/version.
Two routers are active that uses fixed IP. One is for general use and the other for home automation.

I actively backup'ed the config for the two active routers.
The day finally came when one router was having some weird issues.
The spare was loaded wit the config file to replace it.
Any reason why you need 2 seperate router just because of redundancy ? Is it because you keep encounter router error ?

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you need 2 seperate router just because of redundancy ? Is it because you keep encounter router error ?

The spare router is for redundancy.
The two routers are for different purpose.
Initially I was using one router and was running out of fixed IP.

pebblesontheway

Reaction score
Any recommendations for small things a beginner could do to get started? If I were completely clueless about most of this stuff.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone waiting for the google doorbell (battery)?

Wanted to get it when its available.

Or is there any other brand video doorbell that will work with google nest hub? the one with LCD screen. want it to auto show who is on the door when the bell is rang.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone waiting for the google doorbell (battery)?

Wanted to get it when its available.

Or is there any other brand video doorbell that will work with google nest hub? the one with LCD screen. want it to auto show who is on the door when the bell is rang.
i am waiting for this as well. how do you ship in if available ?

twinbaby

Master Member
Reaction score
There are some issues I am trying to solve in my own room (first)
1) I am using a TP-LINK router repeater, and connecting to my laptop with the LAN cable.
Sometimes the LAN cable's loose speed will drop below 100mbps, and sometime the cable will DC by itself.
2ndly, what other options will work best.
2) I have many power cord on my table, multiple usb power charger, fan, router, air purifer 2 laptops and I have got 1 power extension and multiple power cord. Is there a use case to solve all the dangling cable problem.
3) I am using LED lamp, is it normally too bright on my room?
4) I need to use multiple handheld devices - is there a suitable stand that can charge and stand at the same time?
5) I need a device that can warn me that it is raining before I step out of home ,so that I don't forget to bring my umbrella.
6) when I step out of the room, the fan and light should turn off.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn't know there is such a thread here on home automation. Maybe I could share a few tips or answer a few queries from the forum.

I did a DIY home automation setup at my "new" apartment few years back in 2017. (long lost thread...)
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...nce-on-smart-home-using-amazon-alexa.5785238/

I have replaced all Amazon Alexa to Google Home in 2020.

At current state, I automated my curtains, CCTVs, smart plugs, TV remotes, lights, sensors, air purifiers, ceiling fans, robo vacuum/mop, except for digi doors (for obvious security reasons). They are controlled using Google home, Philips HUE, Bond Hub, Home Assistant with Z-wave USB dongle on RaspPi/TrueNAS. On the home network infrastructure side, I am using a pfsense firewall to secure my IOTs devices and 2x APs at each end of the house pushing wifi.

For starters, I recommend home owners to budget/plan out their network+security infrastructure before considering to deploy/implement extensive home automation solutions.​

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
**SHARING: Deploying Home Assistant for OpenSource Home Automation Projects**

For home owners looking to integrate "most" of their IOTs, automations or smart devices into one single pane of GUI dashboard. You can consider deploying the open source “Home Assistant” which is an OS specifically build for home automation/smart home. Even though not all (but most) integrations could be easily configured, it could really open up endless possibilities in your DIY home automation journey (as compared to IFTTT). It Home Assistant is highly customizable and you could easily host it on a RasPi over your local network. Or even give it a DNS to access it from outside your network.​

049e2JW.jpg

f1O5QKH.jpg

*NOTE: Do consider beefing up your home network security when taking plunge into the world of DIY home automation. Interested to learn more can check out my thread here on setting up an opensource network firewall.​

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/starting-pfsense-for-new-users.6390714/

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.