HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #916

To connect the above, if they are wifi enabled (such as wifi smart light switches), you just need your router.
Else, most likely you need a hub such as echo plus for zigbee devices but be aware of different zigbee frequencies in different countries.

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.
I believe you are referring to Z-wave frequency which is different in various parts of the world.

There is only 1 frequency for Zigbee (however, can have different profiles).
Old 26-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #917

I just got the google home nest. The local version appears overpriced but it was an impulse buy and I try to avoid adapters if I can.

Just read amazon launch the new echo....sigh.

Anyway, took advantaged of the Philip hue sale recently and got myself some kits.
porker997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #918

google home

thinking of purchasing google home lately, any tips?
xxyapxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 12:54 AM   #919
Supremacy Member

Is your current fan power switch stand alone(1 gang)? Or those with knob that can be turned?
The power switches at my place is this kind and some room have only one switch and some a few like 2 to 3:
deep3lue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #920

The power switches at my place is this kind and some room have only one switch and some a few like 2 to 3:
If its the knob type, then most definitely will be without neutral.

In any case, if you want to have your power switched flushed while your existing is protruded, hacking will be required. But your cable conduit is also exposed, so I dun see the point of getting it flushed.

There are actually WiFi light switch that do not require neutral cable, but based on some feedback, it's not very reliable.
Superbigfatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #921

Hi All, for those using August Smart Lock Pro on your wooden door. What lock do you use for your metal gate?
metal gate still old-skool keylock mechanisim, when leave hse for work, metal gate just clock.. dun lock one.

y i liik august lock is it is 'hidden' behind the woonden door, so ppl wun ji-siao go press ur smart lock pad, or try do funny things to ur lock ....

personally i tink if u want metal gate smart lock as well, den u shldnt get august lock for woonden door.
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #922
Supremacy Member

If its the knob type, then most definitely will be without neutral.

In any case, if you want to have your power switched flushed while your existing is protruded, hacking will be required. But your cable conduit is also exposed, so I dun see the point of getting it flushed.

There are actually WiFi light switch that do not require neutral cable, but based on some feedback, it's not very reliable.
Well, I don't want to hack the wall but I'm wondering is there any solutions in the market that allows me to modify/replace the box and install a HomeKit ready power switch, putting aside the missing neutral cable.
deep3lue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #923

Well, I don't want to hack the wall but I'm wondering is there any solutions in the market that allows me to modify/replace the box and install a HomeKit ready power switch, putting aside the missing neutral cable.
If the switch specifies neutral wire requirement, you won't be able to get away without it, as it requires the neutral wire to complete the circuit to power the switch.

And very limited selection of HomeKit compatible devices.
Old 27-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #924

I just got the google home nest. The local version appears overpriced but it was an impulse buy and I try to avoid adapters if I can.
B&H has an ongoing deal for Google Nest Hub at $79. But will need to go through forwarder to ship here.
Old 30-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #925

B&H has an ongoing deal for Google Nest Hub at $79. But will need to go through forwarder to ship here.
Apparently, Google and Amazon are both having deals on their smart speakers:
Google and Amazon.

Google Home Mini - $25 ($24 off): Google Store, Walmart, Best Buy, Abt, Newegg, B&H,
Google Home - $69 ($30 off): Google Store, Walmart, Best Buy, Abt, Newegg, B&H
Google Home Max - $249 ($50 off): Google Store, Walmart, Best Buy, Abt, B&H
Google Nest Hub - $79 ($50 off): Google Store, Walmart, Best Buy, Abt, Newegg, B&H
Nest Cam Outdoor 2-pack - $238 ($160 off): Google Store, Best Buy, Abt, Newegg, B&H, Amazon
Nest x Yale lock - $229 ($50 off): Google Store, Walmart, Best Buy, Abt, Newegg, B&H
Nest 3rd gen Learning Thermostat + free Home Mini - $189 ($109 off): Google Store, Best Buy, Abt, B&H
Amazon:
$25 Echo Dot, $70 Echo
Hue also released bluetooth versions of their lighting that don't need Hue hub, see this for details.
Amazon is selling them
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #926

Stringify shutdown it's services, so u guys using any alternatives?
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #927

There is IFTTT and a few others. Tasker is popular in the Android world.

(We generally don't use/need any of those. All our devices and automation work together in a single app, and is seamlessly integrated with Google & Amazon)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #928

metal gate still old-skool keylock mechanisim, when leave hse for work, metal gate just clock.. dun lock one.

y i liik august lock is it is 'hidden' behind the woonden door, so ppl wun ji-siao go press ur smart lock pad, or try do funny things to ur lock ....

personally i tink if u want metal gate smart lock as well, den u shldnt get august lock for woonden door.
Saw this review about thr installation. Is it really this mafan?
https://yingvannie.com/installing-th...-hdb-or-condo/
sann.tiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #929
Master Member

Don't be fooled of 16A handling message, those 15A socket already using the round big cylinder pin.

This one works with Tuya Smart Life app, which I personally don't like

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.
HMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #930

Smart home maker, Orvibo, continues to leave database containing billions of users' records & passwords OPEN online.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/smart-...ice-passwords/
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.