HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #976

Anyone use August smart lock ? Wonder any review and issues arise.
So far so good. One bad point is it can't open the door automatically using Bluetooth when my phone is in my pocket. Only when I have my phone on my hand then it can detect the Bluetooth.
squidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #977

I have a Google home mini which I want to use
~Dragonite~ likes this.
HappyUncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #978

But I don’t know how to use leh!
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 27-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #979

Do I just sell it or use it. Like idk really.
Old 27-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #980

Also, which one is the best?? Google home mini, Amazon Alexa or Siri??
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 27-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #981

I really don’t know broooo
Old 30-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #982
Master Member

Anyone use August smart lock ? Wonder any review and issues arise.
no issues so far. I have it connected to a smartthings hub v2 instead of the August Connect.
Old 31-08-2019, 05:11 AM   #983

Hi all, newbie to this thread. Going to renovate/ a&a my little inter terrace soon.

I was also thinking to automate my house. I was first exploring xiaomi. I like their devices. I have the fan, robot and purifier. I used to have their tv box too. Looking at their tv now.

My thought was to go with xiaomi ecosystem. I am not sure if this is a good choice? Does xiaomi has voice control too? I always find voice alot more convenient then using app.

I may need to do rewiring. Must i rewire the whole house to netural or can i just do those new points?

Appreciate all expert to guide me step by step. I saw many things like switches and power socket. Do i need to change all? TiA

I should be signing M1 firbre since the monthly subscroption is the cheapest. Must i change to xiaomi router etc... and connection to 2nd floor how?

Last edited by Alwaysb; 31-08-2019 at 05:14 AM..
Alwaysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #984

Hi all, newbie to this thread. Going to renovate/ a&a my little inter terrace soon.

I was also thinking to automate my house. I was first exploring xiaomi. I like their devices. I have the fan, robot and purifier. I used to have their tv box too. Looking at their tv now.

My thought was to go with xiaomi ecosystem. I am not sure if this is a good choice? Does xiaomi has voice control too? I always find voice alot more convenient then using app.

I may need to do rewiring. Must i rewire the whole house to netural or can i just do those new points?

Appreciate all expert to guide me step by step. I saw many things like switches and power socket. Do i need to change all? TiA

I should be signing M1 firbre since the monthly subscroption is the cheapest. Must i change to xiaomi router etc... and connection to 2nd floor how?
Of course if you can afford it, it's best to provide neutral to all points for the flexibility. And it's best to think about what you want to achieve, then you will know what you need to get.
Superbigfatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #985
Master Member

Xiaomi TV Box and TV has alot of injected advertising no? I had their mini router and it injected irritating ads when I browsed the web so I swear off their routers.
Their chinese box also full of ads but their international version still alright.
Since your new place is a terrace, consider a mesh wifi setup as that would be your weakest link.
Also ensure your smart home protocol is meshable. Ie if you using AQARA switches with zigbee, you need to ensure the distance from one switch to another is not far so they can mesh network.

Xiaomi xiaoai has issues outside of china. So good luck with that if you plan to lock down to xiaomi ecosystem. I prefer the homekit enable aqara if I had to choose.

With regards to rewiring, if you place electrical is old, I'd reckon to just do the whole house with neutral one shot and save hassle next time.. Again to do whole place or new points depends on how you want to integrate your HA and how large is your house. As a safe bet, your devices need to be within 5-10m of each other for a smooth mesh network. else the devices wont work well. You might need to install repeaters if the place is too big.

I did smart switches whole house, but I only click one switch once in a while and that is my balcony lights. Everywhere else is motion/contact sensor triggered so some switches I never use. Only the older people or guest would use to turn something off.
So if I'm the only user, I would probably close up the switches with blank plates since I use smart lights, but if you have older folks than they tend to prefer a tactile switching device.

Last edited by viix; 02-09-2019 at 12:03 PM..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:12 PM   #986

Talking smart life universal IR-RF hub

Hi there,

im currently using Broadlink RM pro, any of u out there using smart life universal IR-RF hub (via SmartLife app) ?

any feedbacks on the device ?
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #987

Thanks for your advice. I am also concern of xiaomi ecosystem.

What system would you recommend? Google home?

What is mesh wifi setup? Actually i am totally lost after reading. Lol

Why the way, what is the purpose of the netural wiring? I need to get the fundamental right. Otherwise, i don't even know where to start man.

Appreciate your patience.

Xiaomi TV Box and TV has alot of injected advertising no? I had their mini router and it injected irritating ads when I browsed the web so I swear off their routers.
Their chinese box also full of ads but their international version still alright.
Since your new place is a terrace, consider a mesh wifi setup as that would be your weakest link.
Also ensure your smart home protocol is meshable. Ie if you using AQARA switches with zigbee, you need to ensure the distance from one switch to another is not far so they can mesh network.

Xiaomi xiaoai has issues outside of china. So good luck with that if you plan to lock down to xiaomi ecosystem. I prefer the homekit enable aqara if I had to choose.

With regards to rewiring, if you place electrical is old, I'd reckon to just do the whole house with neutral one shot and save hassle next time.. Again to do whole place or new points depends on how you want to integrate your HA and how large is your house. As a safe bet, your devices need to be within 5-10m of each other for a smooth mesh network. else the devices wont work well. You might need to install repeaters if the place is too big.

I did smart switches whole house, but I only click one switch once in a while and that is my balcony lights. Everywhere else is motion/contact sensor triggered so some switches I never use. Only the older people or guest would use to turn something off.
So if I'm the only user, I would probably close up the switches with blank plates since I use smart lights, but if you have older folks than they tend to prefer a tactile switching device.
Alwaysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #988
Master Member

Thanks for your advice. I am also concern of xiaomi ecosystem.

What system would you recommend? Google home?

What is mesh wifi setup? Actually i am totally lost after reading. Lol

Why the way, what is the purpose of the netural wiring? I need to get the fundamental right. Otherwise, i don't even know where to start man.

Appreciate your patience.
I'd recommend Athom Homey but only because my experience with it has been good.

Google home and Amazon's Echo devices are but home assistants that use the cloud to connect to wifi enabled smart devices. These means if the internet is down, you may not be able to command your devices to turn on or turn off.

If you go for smart hubs, with the likes of Xiaomi/Aqara hub, fibaro HC or HCL, Athom Homey even Control4/KNX, you use their respective wireless protocol to control your devices. Ie Zigbee, Zwave, KNX etc.. This way your IOT devices have their own wireless network without relying on the internet for operation. Zigbee and Zwave built their own interconnect mesh network to save on power and extend their range, so the limitation is that you need a device every 5m or so. Zigbee runs on 2.4ghz, Zwave is <950mhz, wifi is 2.4ghz & 5ghz so planning is crucial for large area installations.

One example is if you have your hub at the living room on the first floor, and only another smart switch at your bedside on the 2nd floor, the switch will not be able to communicate with the hub essentially it becomes a normal switch and you wont be able to control it with your phone.

Your place being a terrace, will typically be susceptible to wifi blind spots, so if you have smart speakers or devices running on wifi will also be unreachable. What more smart hub devices using lower powered antennas.

So if your house is fairly large, you need to plan how you place your devices so that they can communicate. Else its a waste of money.

Why is neutral wiring required?
Its because a traditional switch is only use to open or close a circuit. Only live wire is required at the switch. When you have a smart switch, it needs to be powered and so it has to have one circuit to power itself and another to open and close the circuit to the lighting fixture.
Non neutral switches bypass this requirement by leaving the circuit closed, but only letting a small voltage/current through so the switch is running but there isn't enough power to turn on a light.

The limitation is a resistor/capacitor is added to the circuit so the light doesn't turn on. (resistive loads on non neutral smart switch have a higher standby wattage use than neutral switch so that's another point to note).
Another limitation or side effect is that the lighting fixture needs a minimum load wattage so you cant use low wattage led fixture and some people experience the switch or lights spoil faster.
Alvin Koh likes this.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #989

Motion detector

Need help I am considering this motion detector/sensor to turn on my lights and/or fan via my welink, google-home setup. The idea is for the sensor to turn on the devices between 7pm till 11.30pm when it sense a motion in the room and also to sense a alarm or notice to my mobile if I am not home. Can this device do the job.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00E2mNmu&mp=1

If not am open to suggestion

Thank you all in advance!
wiiplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #990

Yup. Used the light switch and the 4channel Pro.

Hi there,

Do these Sonoff switches require a neutral wire?

I tried to install Sonoff Mini into an existing light switch - but no luck as no neutral wire in the light switch. All wires seem to be live wires.

If you have install Sonoff successfully, then please share wiring diagram.

Thanks.
seymourprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.