HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #991

Reading through this thread, I did not see solution of overcoming problem of existing wall switches without neutral wire.

I did my lighting control (cove light and downlight)with Wi-Fi/+RF relay control at the lighting end and maintaining the mechanical switch for ultimate safety control. No AC standby.

Product used: Sonoff basic or Sonoff RF R2(internet/intranet control). Don't get those clone that does not come with CE mark ! Safety first .

Control flexibility:by Wi-Fi, Google home voice control and mechanical switch control. The Ewelink app allows settings of initial power state to follow previous state, OFF and on,I picked default AC In , switch is ON , this way, it will synchronize with the mechanical main switch. Convenient for home members that don't want to deal with voice commands, phone control.

What you need to do is to trace to the LED downlight feeding point, insert the Wi-Fi control module to control the Line wire, over at the load/lighting, you always have both neutral and live there.

I have tested this type of controller for 2 years and find it reliable enough, therefore putting the Wi-Fi controller hiding behind the false ceiling.

DIY to pull out LED downlight and find its power feeding point indeed don't need much work, think of bulbs changing.

I also purchased a RF remote control switch ($5) for ease of control, handy when Wi-Fi is out (I automated the router On off timing, sleeping time strictly no Wi-Fi, forced router to cut off so that I can sleep earlier).

I am using Google assistant with Google home to do voice control of lightings, IR Commands consolidation.

Tips:
1) rename your switches to XX light, Google home group them automatically under lighting group that you can use the Google home app to control them , wildcard commands like switch of all is provided.

2) broadlink IR BLASTER IHC Air-conditioning template is handy, allowed temperature settings and fan speed with voice control over Google home instead of just ON/OFF .

3) overcoming stateless control of IR control.
Through IFTTT , you can write the state to Google sheet file, then you can read it back to know its state.

Have fun..

Sent from Google PIXEL C using GAGT

Hi HMAN

You seem to have found a solution to add wifi/automation control to existing LED lights.

Would you mind sharing your wiring diagram?

Thanks.
seymourprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #992

Hi there,

Do these Sonoff switches require a neutral wire?

I tried to install Sonoff Mini into an existing light switch - but no luck as no neutral wire in the light switch. All wires seem to be live wires.

If you have install Sonoff successfully, then please share wiring diagram.

Thanks.
Yes, they require neutral switch.
Superbigfatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #993

Hi there,

Do these Sonoff switches require a neutral wire?

I tried to install Sonoff Mini into an existing light switch - but no luck as no neutral wire in the light switch. All wires seem to be live wires.

If you have install Sonoff successfully, then please share wiring diagram.

Thanks.
Almost all Sonoff light switches require neutral.

For the Mini, if you do not have neutral at the light switch, you have to connect it at the light/lamp point.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #994

Shelly 1's connection at the lighting point.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...#post120523822

You need to adapt for Sonoff Mini:

Switch's L1 will go to Sonoff Mini's LIn.
Old 23-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #995

Openhab2 and Yeelight

Hello folks,

Anybody managed to use the Openhab2 and used the Yeelight Bindings and actually discover the Yeelight bulbs? My setup is not discovering my bulbs even thought the LAN Control is already turned on. I have been using the ios Yeelight App and can control using Google Home.

I managed to link 2 of my Xiaomi Zhurui (not Yeelight) with the miio bindings, but too troublesome to introduce all my Yeelight to that app to get token, So was hoping to discover them while they are still attached to the Yeelight App,

Any success on this?

Thanks very much
supremo_1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #996
High Supremacy Member

I don't know if I can ask there?

I got a + head screw Tio stuck for the camera dry cabinet. I need to remove it, to get parts off to repair..

There are 6 screw only one stuck.

Any idea got which saw (small and thin one)
I can use it to saw and cut of the head of the screw?

Because the head is (inside the cabinet) and connect to outside spare part.

Try to use WD40 but cannot. Think is not rusting but is the person did not screw properly.

Last edited by harky; 28-09-2019 at 01:01 PM..
harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #997
Master Member

I don't know if I can ask there?

I got a + head screw Tio stuck for the camera dry cabinet. I need to remove it, to get parts off to repair..

There are 6 screw only one stuck.

Any idea got which saw (small and thin one)
I can use it to saw and cut of the head of the screw?

Because the head is (inside the cabinet) and connect to outside spare part.

Try to use WD40 but cannot. Think is not rusting but is the person did not screw properly.
If it's loose you can dremel it (if you have one) else you will need to drill it from the head side.. Sawing it not so easy in such a confined space, but if you want you can get those saw with only one side mounted like this if not get a chisel and slowly tap it out if the dry cabi isnt aluminium and the screw is those brass type, else you risk deforming the case...
harky likes this.

Last edited by viix; 03-10-2019 at 10:26 AM..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #998

Any comments on Philips smartlights?
Poisedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #999

Any comments on Philips smartlights?
Very expensive?
Superbigfatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #1000
Supremacy Member

Can Yeelight ceiling light act as Bluetooth gateway for Aqara Wall Switch?

I have some wall switches that control non-smart lights/fans. Iíve read about the Aqara wall switch that can turn old wall switches into smart switches and understand that they need Aqara Bluetooth gateway for all these to work.

My question is, can I use my Yeelight Ceiling light as a Bluetooth gateway for these aqara wall switch? My understanding is that yeelight ceiling light can act as a Bluetooth gateway for other smart devices. But I am unsure if it works for Aqara wall switches.

Thank you
Old 18-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #1001

No, the Aqara switches are using Zigbee and not bluetooth and hence they need a Zigbee gateway like Aqara hub or Zigbee2Mqtt.

Can Yeelight ceiling light act as Bluetooth gateway for Aqara Wall Switch?

I have some wall switches that control non-smart lights/fans. Iíve read about the Aqara wall switch that can turn old wall switches into smart switches and understand that they need Aqara Bluetooth gateway for all these to work.

My question is, can I use my Yeelight Ceiling light as a Bluetooth gateway for these aqara wall switch? My understanding is that yeelight ceiling light can act as a Bluetooth gateway for other smart devices. But I am unsure if it works for Aqara wall switches.

Thank you
pustefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #1002
Supremacy Member

No, the Aqara switches are using Zigbee and not bluetooth and hence they need a Zigbee gateway like Aqara hub or Zigbee2Mqtt.
oh thank you. So that Zigbee wall switch connects to the Aqara hub via zigbee. And Aqara Hub sends the signal to Mi Home via wifi?
Old 18-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #1003

Yes. If your automation is between Zigbee devices, e.g. Aqara motion sensor to switch on Aqara wall switch, automation will still work even if your router is down (at least this is what happen when I tested it sometime back).

oh thank you. So that Zigbee wall switch connects to the Aqara hub via zigbee. And Aqara Hub sends the signal to Mi Home via wifi?
Old 18-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #1004
Supremacy Member

Yes. If your automation is between Zigbee devices, e.g. Aqara motion sensor to switch on Aqara wall switch, automation will still work even if your router is down (at least this is what happen when I tested it sometime back).
Is your aqara hub and switch on SG server? Because my other xiaomi devices are on SG server. Just afraid if I get the Aqara hub and it only works on CN server. Looking for one that works on SG server.
Old 18-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #1005

Is your aqara hub and switch on SG server? Because my other xiaomi devices are on SG server. Just afraid if I get the Aqara hub and it only works on CN server. Looking for one that works on SG server.
Mine are on CN server. For your case, just make sure they work on SG server before buying.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.