HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #1006
Supremacy Member

Mine are on CN server. For your case, just make sure they work on SG server before buying.
thanks alot
Old 18-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #1007

Hi guys! Been reading this thread for a few days as both myself and hubby are quite techie. Would like to do up some smart stuff for our EC. Originally was hoping that an ID can help in such stuff but most look quite unsure. Seems like most probably we have to engage someone or even DIY.

Our main concern is wiring and switches which both of us are not sure. For hub, I think we should be able to handle the programming involved for some hub and also saw some popular names like SmartThings, Hubitat or Homey seems quite manageable.

We are also planning to get Sonos, motorised blinds (read about Somfy, Dooya etc) and many smart AC.

Was there a poll on the hub/switches that people use here? Quite overwhelming as the options and prices seem to vary a lot. Only started reading this week so please bear with me.
jolin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #1008

Digging an old post.
AC or water heater all mostly rely on 20A or 16A relay.

I read one blogger but forgot his blogsite.

Pair smart wall switch with electrical contactor to isolate high load circuit.

I recalled he mentioned about a 16A Hager relay to allow normal smart wall switch just for On/Off and the Hager relay to hold the 16A current.

Anyone did this similar approach?
akagi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #1009

Lester's blog mentioned Hager contactor

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...-post2465.html
has all the various methods (4 of them) and Lester's blog linked.
Old 19-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #1010

Our main concern is wiring and switches which both of us are not sure. For hub, I think we should be able to handle the programming involved for some hub and also saw some popular names like SmartThings, Hubitat or Homey seems quite manageable.

We are also planning to get Sonos, motorised blinds (read about Somfy, Dooya etc) and many smart AC.

Was there a poll on the hub/switches that people use here? Quite overwhelming as the options and prices seem to vary a lot. Only started reading this week so please bear with me.
1. Switches: The common ones mentioned in the thread: RF ones like Broadlink TC2 or Livolo. Zigbee: Xiaomi Aqara. The Wifi ones: Tuya based. If you are renovating, consider installing neutral wire.

2. Hub: Xiaomi besides those you mentioned. DIY: Home Assistant or openHAB. Pick the hub that is the closest match to your budget and works with all your purchased HA devices or intended purchases. The protocol support is probably you should do some reading/research into as you didn't mention anything on it.

Engage a LEW (licensed electrician) since you are not sure for the switch installation and safety comes first. Alternatively a few of the Home Automation installers companies sometimes posts here. There is also a Facebook group for home automation geeks Singapore.
Old 21-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #1011

You can consider the Xiaomi Aqara "Two-way control module Wireless Relay Controller " as well.

Connection Diagram 1:

Connection Diagram 2:
HI, for the second diagram do u mean to say that the L1 and L2 is from the neutral? Sorry for asking a stupid question if this sounds stupid as I am trying to figure this out without electrical knowledge.

Though I can change the light switches at home without any accident.

Tks
LoneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #1012
Master Member

Hi guys! Been reading this thread for a few days as both myself and hubby are quite techie. Would like to do up some smart stuff for our EC. Originally was hoping that an ID can help in such stuff but most look quite unsure. Seems like most probably we have to engage someone or even DIY.

Just need to pull neutral from your light point to your switches.
Add electrical points to your window area.
Get UK zwave compatible hubs, so it's easier to find zwave accessories.
Switch options, you get what you pay for. There are limitations to RF switches, some latency for wifi switches, minimal lag for zigbee and zwave. And I would say zwave is most instantaneous.
Curtain motor wise, check that the hub supports it. They may indicate that the brand is supported but to be extra sure check the models. So far on Homey, only the DT82 series dooya and aqara curtain motor is supported.

Since your EC already comes with AC installed already, if it's not a smart AC like daikin, it most probably would be the mitsubishi starmex. You will need IR blasters for them and if you want automation, some smart temperature and humidity sensors. Or just get an ambi climate for each room. Next to ask if you want to automate your home intercom? If it comes with a mobile app, which I doubt EC will have, you will need a switchbot for that.

Digging an old post.
AC or water heater all mostly rely on 20A or 16A relay.

I read one blogger but forgot his blogsite.

Pair smart wall switch with electrical contactor to isolate high load circuit.

I recalled he mentioned about a 16A Hager relay to allow normal smart wall switch just for On/Off and the Hager relay to hold the 16A current.

As above, lester's blog. Using the same method with the contactor inside my isolator switch.

Last edited by viix; 21-10-2019 at 03:45 PM..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #1013
Master Member

Setup my Echo Show 5 and Echo Connect also from Prime Day sale. Echo Connect is connected to my PBX. I use VOIP lines from Anveo Direct and M1.

"Alexa, call <contact>" , can be any contact from Alexa app which imported my mobile's contact list.
"Alexa, hang up"

Echo Show 5 will also show a keypad which can be voice controlled if you need to press any of the digit/#/* touch pads.

If your line has caller ID, it will show the caller ID of the caller as well.

Of course, need some tricks to coax Echo Connect to work with Singapore +65 DID.

Echo Show 5 is also not as polished as the rest of Echo's family. For example, the timezone don't have Singapore and I needed to find a substitute GMT+8 from Shanghai.

No visual feedback from the recognized voice command unlike Google Nest Hub. Still testing out the Smart Home screen options.
How's the echo connect for dialing local lines? Thinking of getting it but connecting it to my fixed voice with my ISP..
What do you mean by coaxing it to dial +65? Assuming im connecting to landline and if my contact list is all just +65 lines, it theoretically should just dial the numbers without some special area code like in the US?
Old 20-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #1014

How's the echo connect for dialing local lines? Thinking of getting it but connecting it to my fixed voice with my ISP..
What do you mean by coaxing it to dial +65? Assuming im connecting to landline and if my contact list is all just +65 lines, it theoretically should just dial the numbers without some special area code like in the US?
+65 isn't one of the supported countries.
https://www.echotalk.org/index.php?topic=3441.0.
I did it with Chrome Dev tools and curl command.. or something like that. Sorry cannot remember the exact steps but the link gives you the general idea.

Echo connect is good for hands-free calls.
Old 22-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #1015

Any recommendation for Smart Power Strip? e.g. Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip
Tmzhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #1016

Any recommendation for Smart Power Strip? e.g. Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip
Maybe Koogeek? EveHome?
KevinJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #1017

EveHome works well
natematedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #1018

Guys need some advice.. Anyone using HomeKit in SG managed to install Smart Blinds? Iíve seared high and low and only found 2 options: lutron caseta shades & potentially IKEA Smart Blinds in the future. But I canít find anyway to get them here or to have it shipped here... Any advices from those who have successfully installed and used Smart Blinds in ur home? Which brand and the reliability? Iím open to Homebridge options since Iím already using it extensively, but just not the Homebridge Broadlink option since my broadlink has been acting weirdly nowadays.. Thank you very much!
LegendaryWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.