Home Automation Enthusiasts

shacboi

Reaction score
Wow, they probably partnering with Amazon now. Looks like Mi Smart Home ecosystem is a good option too. Especially, the light switch doesn't require Neutral line. No need headache rewiring the switches. :eek:

Since, I will be getting Mi purifier and Mi Robot Vacuum, adopting Mi Smart Home probably make more sense. :crazy:

Yea... They can copy echodot till lik dat... Very qiang!

And xiaomi and its subsidiary yeelight coming up alot of smArt devices at competitive prices... Wun go wrong... Haha.

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just got my Yeelight. Existing screw holes are not suitable, will need to drill new holes. The package include 2 typical screws. So I just drill them into my ceiling like we usually did for wall shelves?

Patientcapital

Reaction score
Thanks AsusEpoxy and 233mmx, for the valuable advice.

After much reading... Seems like using Samsung SmartThings would provide better integration and a more future proof solution..

SmartThings
- Z-wave switches
- BOND Home / Broadlink+raspberry pi
- Smart lock
- Voice control with Siri using HomeBridge

Huge project. Probably will start with learning how to integrate with the light switches :s13:

Hi sean_x, I am too has just embarked on this journey. As I'm getting my bto in the next few mths, I do have the flexibility to pull neutral wires to all the points. But according to what I've read so far, this may not necessarily "future-proof" my home against advancing HA tech. What do you guys think? What I'm aiming for in my HA is basically just to be able to have a master switch to turn off all electricity when I leave home (perhaps except the refridgerator), be able to control my irobot remotely, be able to switch on/off my air-con remotely, and also be able to monitor my electricity usage in real time.

Thanks in advance guys. And hope u guys have an awesome year ahead!

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow, they probably partnering with Amazon now. Looks like Mi Smart Home ecosystem is a good option too. Especially, the light switch doesn't require Neutral line. No need headache rewiring the switches. :eek:

Since, I will be getting Mi purifier and Mi Robot Vacuum, adopting Mi Smart Home probably make more sense. :crazy:

don't count on it, from what i know of Xiaomi's strategy, its gonna be 2 prong.

Xiaoai for domestic, Alexa partnership for international.
The Mi robot vacuum is a domestic in china product only, most probably won't be able to control as you need to switch your locale to Singapore/International. Still kena pwn by Xiaomi

233mmx

Reaction score
... What I'm aiming for in my HA is basically just to be able to have a master switch to turn off all electricity when I leave home (perhaps except the refridgerator), be able to control my irobot remotely, be able to switch on/off my air-con remotely, and also be able to monitor my electricity usage in real time.

It sounds do-able so no worries. The neutral wire is needed by some product brands but same time there are others that do not require that.

There are Broadlink and Sonoff products that can help you achieve your HA goals.

You need to decide which route to go (AA, GH or HK) and check if the products are compatible.

shacboi

Reaction score
It sounds do-able so no worries. The neutral wire is needed by some product brands but same time there are others that do not require that.

There are Broadlink and Sonoff products that can help you achieve your HA goals.

You need to decide which route to go (AA, GH or HK) and check if the products are compatible.

just to share, so far wat i know for Radio-Freq wall switch that doesn't require Neutral wire are,

Broadlink TC2
Funry ST1/ST2
Livolo
Yoogee

:s12:

Last edited:

Patientcapital

Reaction score

wow, thanks for your advice! which route (AA, GH, HK) is better in your opinion, considering my HA requirements?

shacboi: thanks for your recommendation! will google each of these products!

233mmx

Reaction score
3 choices

For now I would say go with AA being the most mature of the 3 but GH could be a force to be reckoned with in 2018. The Mini is also very very attractive in terms of costs.

For Apple Homekit, if you're already in their ecosystem, it should be easy to integrate once more products are compatible with it.

wow, thanks for your advice! which route (AA, GH, HK) is better in your opinion, considering my HA requirements?

shacboi: thanks for your recommendation! will google each of these products!

Last edited:

sean_x

Reaction score
Hi sean_x, I am too has just embarked on this journey. As I'm getting my bto in the next few mths, I do have the flexibility to pull neutral wires to all the points. But according to what I've read so far, this may not necessarily "future-proof" my home against advancing HA tech. What do you guys think? What I'm aiming for in my HA is basically just to be able to have a master switch to turn off all electricity when I leave home (perhaps except the refridgerator), be able to control my irobot remotely, be able to switch on/off my air-con remotely, and also be able to monitor my electricity usage in real time.

Thanks in advance guys. And hope u guys have an awesome year ahead!

Yo, welcome to endless reading :o HA is still an ever-changing landscape, more and more players are emerging now, it gonna be more segregated. Probably non would be a future-proof solution. It's more on which one meets your requirements at the current point of time and most the importantly, budget.. :o

For me, I would wait until I settle the renovation and when want to move in then review again on the available products. And not forgetting rewiring the Neutral line to all the light switches..

I want the HA integration with HomeKit because my family is using IOS.. So, I have to choose a platform with large base users, as the community support is required to write the HomeBridge plugin. More people use = the plugin will be available quicker, bugs solved quicker too :o

As of now, Mi Home caught my attention.. Reasonable price, quality products, large user base, and integration are widely available. :o

don't count on it, from what i know of Xiaomi's strategy, its gonna be 2 prong.

Xiaoai for domestic, Alexa partnership for international.
The Mi robot vacuum is a domestic in china product only, most probably won't be able to control as you need to switch your locale to Singapore/International. Still kena pwn by Xiaomi

I see, meh. There is no perfect solution, just need to find workaround =:p

Patientcapital

Reaction score
Yo, welcome to endless reading :o HA is still an ever-changing landscape, more and more players are emerging now, it gonna be more segregated. Probably non would be a future-proof solution. It's more on which one meets your requirements at the current point of time and most the importantly, budget.. :o

For me, I would wait until I settle the renovation and when want to move in then review again on the available products. And not forgetting rewiring the Neutral line to all the light switches..

I want the HA integration with HomeKit because my family is using IOS.. So, I have to choose a platform with large base users, as the community support is required to write the HomeBridge plugin. More people use = the plugin will be available quicker, bugs solved quicker too :o

As of now, Mi Home caught my attention.. Reasonable price, quality products, large user base, and integration are widely available. :o

I see, meh. There is no perfect solution, just need to find workaround =:p

You are spot on bro. Endless reading! Have more or less chionged through all threads about HA.. until 5 minutes ago... when I found another forum (lowyat, apparently a msian forum) 80+ pages discussing HA!

Wah seh you wanna pull the neutral wires to all the points? Is it so that in case in future zwave standard takes over iot or you are already eyeing some zwave products?

Well for me, HK stuffs a bit out of my budget... I'm more inclined towards shacboi's setup la for now: broadlink RM pro + tc2 switches + AA -- more likely will get approved by wifey :s22:

Anyway, one key thing I am very interested to have is to monitor my electricity consumption real time from my phone and I've come across this product: smappee (paiseh I cant post links yet) Any bros using this here in SG? Is it even compatible with a typical HDB outfit?

Patientcapital

Reaction score
For now I would say go with AA being the most mature of the 3 but GH could be a force to be reckoned with in 2018. The Mini is also very very attractive in terms of costs.

For Apple Homekit, if you're already in their ecosystem, it should be easy to integrate once more products are compatible with it.

Thanks bro. After a bit of reading, incl some of your old posts, I think AA is still my top choice for now. My main bug bear with google is that you cant change the wake name... die die must say "Ok Google" :(

shacboi

Reaction score
Thanks bro. After a bit of reading, incl some of your old posts, I think AA is still my top choice for now. My main bug bear with google is that you cant change the wake name... die die must say "Ok Google" :(

U can call it ok goo-goo if u lik. Sumtimes it will respond to u. Hahh

Same for Alexa, u can call her AH-laksa.. She response well too. Hahh :s13:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
smappee looks interesting, but the costs is quite high, 189 Euros means 300 plus SGD?
with that you can get around 15 pcs of Sonoff POW which allow u to do the same thing to individual appliances and apply granular controls.

233mmx

Reaction score
Lol! Wake words should be the least of your concerns. But I remember watching a CNET review which showed that the wake word can be changed to "Hey Google".

The thing about HA imho, at least currently, is that products are all overpriced and likely to be compatible with only 1 ecosystem and not the rest. There is no way we can "try out" GH or HK as surely something's not gonna work. That sucks from consumer's point of view.

Patientcapital

Reaction score
smappee looks interesting, but the costs is quite high, 189 Euros means 300 plus SGD?
with that you can get around 15 pcs of Sonoff POW which allow u to do the same thing to individual appliances and apply granular controls.

I think the premium you pay for smappee is for the convenience ba... altho i agree the granular control is something that smappee lacks.

I'm also not so sure if smappee works in SG's electrical system... hope any bros here can share share if they know anything about smappee :)

Patientcapital

Reaction score
Lol! Wake words should be the least of your concerns. But I remember watching a CNET review which showed that the wake word can be changed to "Hey Google".

The thing about HA imho, at least currently, is that products are all overpriced and likely to be compatible with only 1 ecosystem and not the rest. There is no way we can "try out" GH or HK as surely something's not gonna work. That sucks from consumer's point of view.

haha i know it should be the least of my concern but if i'm getting a voice assistant i'd much prefer to be able to rename it to something that sound more natural locally lah... at least it wont sound awkward when i invite friends over and show to them how it works mah lol

ya.. after 2 weeks of online research, i also felt that the products are still quite pricey, especially small things like smart plugs, smart switch panels and bulbs etc... iot need to be more mainstream before the prices of these things start to make more commercial sense lah.

Last edited:

Patientcapital

Reaction score
U can call it ok goo-goo if u lik. Sumtimes it will respond to u. Hahh

Same for Alexa, u can call her AH-laksa.. She response well too. Hahh :s13:

HAHA recently got this viral video on fb about an italian ah ma using google home for the first time... keep calling it "goo goo" damn funny lol if i can post link i'd definitely share it here

sean_x

Reaction score
tbh, if you are new to HA I would recommend investing in zigbee / zwave / wifi setup, these protocols are built with security features. A layer of defense against sniffing, rf 433 traffic is easily decoded.. (google, rf 433 sniffers)

Not sure about the rest, I would place functionality and security equally important in a HA setup, the last thing I would want to learn is someone in the cloud controlling my IoT devices :s22: (google, Mirai bots) Imagine some joker switching on and off your lights when you are having your bath :eek:

You might want to learn how to create a vlan for your IoT devices. :o If one of your IoT devices got compromised, at least it doesn't affect your home network. :s12:

Patientcapital

Reaction score
tbh, if you are new to HA I would recommend investing in zigbee / zwave / wifi setup, these protocols are built with security features. A layer of defense against sniffing, rf 433 traffic is easily decoded.. (google, rf 433 sniffers)

Not sure about the rest, I would place functionality and security equally important in a HA setup, the last thing I would want to learn is someone in the cloud controlling my IoT devices :s22: (google, Mirai bots) Imagine some joker switching on and off your lights when you are having your bath :eek:

You might want to learn how to create a vlan for your IoT devices. :o If one of your IoT devices got compromised, at least it doesn't affect your home network. :s12:

wow, this is a super valid point. at one point during my online research i find myself asking if rf devices can travel up to 20 metres, wont my neighbour be able to discover my device if he also has a broadlink rm pro? or am i asking a dumb question?

i dont think i am at the level to diy my own zigbee/zwave setup yet... still need to read more! oh btw bro, what do u mean by vlan for my iot devices?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.