HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #1036
Master Member

using the wifi version of the switch.....
My samusng is showing full bar with the 2.4ghz, 5ghz at 4bar in the same spot with the switch. My guess is xiaomi used an super duper crappy wifi card inside the switch to cut cost. I would have paid an extra 5bucks for a better wifi.

My idea was to double check that i turn off the heater while away during winter. With the lag and instability, i think its better to not use it at all. You cant really know if the switch is on/off at all due to the lag and perhaps lost connection.
Wifi switches is hit and miss depending on where your AP is located.
If your switch is recess into a pattree box in the wall that has a metal cage, even worse.
With zigbee or zwave switch also same, there is a limit to the distance it can received but at least there is built in mesh that extends the range. For WIFI, it needs to be able to reach your wireless AP unfortunately and my guess is the 2.4 cant get reliable signal. My xiaomi note 4 phone's wifi also sux when side by side with my iphone so...
Old 12-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #1037
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wifi switches is hit and miss depending on where your AP is located.
If your switch is recess into a pattree box in the wall that has a metal cage, even worse.
With zigbee or zwave switch also same, there is a limit to the distance it can received but at least there is built in mesh that extends the range. For WIFI, it needs to be able to reach your wireless AP unfortunately and my guess is the 2.4 cant get reliable signal. My xiaomi note 4 phone's wifi also sux when side by side with my iphone so...
Its 3 meters from my AC68U.....
The other one is 1 meter away....

By the way, had anyone managed to get mi home to sync with Google? I tried to sync but nothing shows up in Google home. Could it be because my Xiaomi is set to china server?
samloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #1038
Arch-Supremacy Member

i give up on Xiaomi system liao. CN server is just not stable if you are out of CN.......humidifier, wifi plug,wifi repeater, xiao ai, rice cooker, temp sensor is all wonky. Only the ip camera is stable

ok. For some reason, it works perfectly in the middle of the night. I guess its the CN server being overload during hte day time

Last edited by samloi; 15-02-2020 at 04:19 AM..
samloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #1039

Hi all, i need help. I am starting my wiring on monday. I will be using aqara zigbee switches, so will be pulling netural wire.

At the start of my staircase, my electrician suggested a 2 way switch to control lights on 2nd floor and one for living room.

I thought i could use the aqara switch to do the job instead. Likewise for my carporch where i can set on/off timing of the lights instead of using sensor lights.

Is there any special instruction i have to tell my electrician for the "2 way" switch at staircase?

I was told by someone to plan for spare switch to control other areas. How does this part works? I thought every switch must connect to whichever lighting pointing we want to control
Alwaysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #1040

hello! new to this thread.
anyone got good place to recommend for philips downlights?
amijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #1041

i give up on Xiaomi system liao. CN server is just not stable if you are out of CN.......humidifier, wifi plug,wifi repeater, xiao ai, rice cooker, temp sensor is all wonky. Only the ip camera is stable

ok. For some reason, it works perfectly in the middle of the night. I guess its the CN server being overload during hte day time
So.. not recommended for xiaomi eco system?

Sent from Samsung SM-N970F using GAGT
earthtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #1042

Hi all, i need help. I am starting my wiring on monday. I will be using aqara zigbee switches, so will be pulling netural wire.

At the start of my staircase, my electrician suggested a 2 way switch to control lights on 2nd floor and one for living room.

I thought i could use the aqara switch to do the job instead. Likewise for my carporch where i can set on/off timing of the lights instead of using sensor lights.

Is there any special instruction i have to tell my electrician for the "2 way" switch at staircase?

I was told by someone to plan for spare switch to control other areas. How does this part works? I thought every switch must connect to whichever lighting pointing we want to control
1) Xiaomi Zigbee switch Don't need Neutral wiring.

2) Smart Switch don't offer 2 way wiring terminal, you may consider using battery remote switch to link and it can act as a 2 way switch.
leinad07912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #1043
Master Member

Orvibo Allone?

Zip blinds company says they'll be providing Orvibo Allone for controlling the blinds - is this any good? Seems like lots of different platforms available.

Also, was thinking of smart enabling the living and bedroom lighting/fans as well - controllable via Google Nest Hub.

Are Sonoff Basic wireless switches reliable?

Guess most electricians may need guidance on how best to install these?
kun1he2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #1044
Master Member

Zip blinds company says they'll be providing Orvibo Allone for controlling the blinds - is this any good? Seems like lots of different platforms available.

Also, was thinking of smart enabling the living and bedroom lighting/fans as well - controllable via Google Nest Hub.

Are Sonoff Basic wireless switches reliable?

Guess most electricians may need guidance on how best to install these?
install no problem, its always Live, Neutral , Earth. Just dont ask them to configure.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #1045

Hi guys,

Would anyone recommend using Aztech Kyla smart home devices as the smart home automation?
Endless09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #1046
Master Member

Hi guys,

Would anyone recommend using Aztech Kyla smart home devices as the smart home automation?
Dont bother..
Old 02-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #1047
Supremacy Member

Anyone know of any LCD TV with individual remote button for video source?
Most TV deploy the toggle jump method of selection TV, which is very difficult to automate using IR emitter device.

Anyone successfully control their TV using Google Home/Alexa?
I meant switching between HDMI and RF source (DVB-T2).
Old 02-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #1048

Dont bother..
Why? Could you elaborate?
Endless09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #1049

Most TV deploy the toggle jump method of selection TV, which is very difficult to automate using IR emitter device.

You may like to consider getting a Logitech Harmony instead..
Old 03-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #1050

Hi, what you can do like what I did to toggle between HDMI and setup box is to set up a scene for the number of times the input button is pressed to get to HDMI or setup box signal for your IR blaster.

You then give a name to these scenes and voice activate them using Google Home or Alexa.

Hope this helps.

tenyaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.