HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #1051

Tip for those in the Amazon Alexa ecosystem, you can invoke Alexa from your Fitbit Versa 2 fitness band.

Alexa is not officially available in SG, but you can always change the country settings in the Fitbit app to US and Alexa will be available when you press and hold the side button.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #1052

Hi, what you can do like what I did to toggle between HDMI and setup box is to set up a scene for the number of times the input button is pressed to get to HDMI or setup box signal for your IR blaster.

You then give a name to these scenes and voice activate them using Google Home or Alexa.

Hope this helps.
Yes, with routines or scenes you can program the buttons that you need to press.

For e.g. I have a scene named "I'm back" which will turn on the lights, fan, TV, AV receiver, turn up the volume by 20 units. Another scene in the reverse order will turn off/revert everything to it's original state.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #1053

Another one bites the dust..

One more reason NOT to choose proprietary (or home-brand solution).

OSRAM LIGHTIFY CLOUD SERVERS WILL BE SWITCHED OFF ON AUGUST 31th 2021
https://www.osram.com/cb/lightify/index.jsp
Old 10-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #1054

4 new things that Amazon Alexa can do:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4-new-th...1&mid=12738793
Old 13-03-2020, 01:26 AM   #1055

Advice for Home Automation

Hi guys,

I'm new to Home Automation and wanted to do a setup for my resale house. Can I please seek your advice on the following setup and equipments:

1. HA Ecosystem - Amazon Alexa (Echo Plus 2 and Echo Dot)

2. Switches - Unsure. Any recommendations?
I'm looking for smart switches with neutral wiring as I intend to ask my electrician to run neutral wire. Anyone know the estimated cost? Any recommendations for the switches? I'm quite interested in the brand Livolo.

3. Lightings - Philips Hue Garnea Hue Downlight
I just bought Philips Hue on sale and thinking of getting the Philip Garnea Hue Downlight (51107). I only need the warm and cool lights and I wish to control the temperature.

4. Smart Wall Socket
I'm thinking of getting a few of these wall sockets so that I can set up some automation to switch off devices when I leave the house. Not really into smart plugs cause it will be bulky for the wall plugs.

5. Vacuum Cleaner - Roborock S6
I read somewhere that this device needs to be set up with Xiaomi SG server instead of the CN server. Am I right?

6. Home Security - Xiaomi sensors?
I understand I need the Xiaomi Smart Home hub for the sensors and these needs to be set up with CN server. Not sure if Alexa can be integrated with Xiaomi SG server and CN server together. Or should I get Aqara sensors?

7. Blinds / Curtains - Somfy maybe? any recommendations?

8. Aircon control - maybe Broadlink RM mini 3.

One question:
- Is it possible to use a 1 Gang smart switch for the heater?

I'm not sure if all the above can be integrated into one ecosystem.
Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
j4sonlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #1056
Banned

Loving my home cinema more each day.

Revealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #1057

New update for Amazon Alexa:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...rivacy-upgrade
Old 18-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #1058
Master Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to Home Automation and wanted to do a setup for my resale house. Can I please seek your advice on the following setup and equipments:

I'm looking for smart switches with neutral wiring as I intend to ask my electrician to run neutral wire. Anyone know the estimated cost? Any recommendations for the switches? I'm quite interested in the brand Livolo.

I just bought Philips Hue on sale and thinking of getting the Philip Garnea Hue Downlight (51107). I only need the warm and cool lights and I wish to control the temperature.

4. Smart Wall Socket
I'm thinking of getting a few of these wall sockets so that I can set up some automation to switch off devices when I leave the house. Not really into smart plugs cause it will be bulky for the wall plugs.

I read somewhere that this device needs to be set up with Xiaomi SG server instead of the CN server. Am I right?

I understand I need the Xiaomi Smart Home hub for the sensors and these needs to be set up with CN server. Not sure if Alexa can be integrated with Xiaomi SG server and CN server together. Or should I get Aqara sensors?

One question:

alexa voice assistant should work with mihome.. but not sure if all devices are exposed to it or only some..

Estimated cost for wiring depends on how much you do. if you are rewiring everything, adding neutral shouldn't cost too much extra. but if using existing wiring and pulling one to each switch will depend on length and typically electrician charge same as pulling a light point.

So seperate from your xiaomi/aqara? You will not have fully integrated automation. so light needs their own remote and sensor, you aqara/xiaomi will have another set.. might not be an issue but you will have 2 zigbee mesh traffic.

4. Smart Wall Socket
My honest opinion, most smart sockets are large and might not fit into the current recess. Plus some brands have exposed contacts that are not insulated if fitting into a metal pattress. What device do you have that need to off at the socket level?

Yes

Look for global ver hubs. Not too sure on this.

If you going xiaomi aqara, then get their curtain motor. Somfy is another different protocol and cant connect to xm or aqara. Yes you can connect to alexa but they will not be intergrated to your aqara sensors..

Again, different ecosystem.

One question:
Yes, but must be >16A

Cannot. but you can set up routines trigger via voice. but your sensor wont close your curtain (somfy) or AC(broadlink) and lights (hue)

I think get homey. Since they can be added to homey and work together..
Old 26-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #1059

Hi guys,

I am interested in installing WiFi smart switches (non neutral) to be compatible with my Google Home devices. Any recommendations?

I saw that there is this GE smart switch on Amazon but I am not sure if it is compatible in Singapore. Any advice on it?
noname86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #1060

Recommendation on a smart home hub

Hi gurus,

I've got 3 questions on smart home hubs and will like to seek some of your opinions.

I've recently changed my lights switch to the Aqara light switches. (Thanks for the advice earlier!) I have a Xiaomi gateway and managed to find the Aqara light switches to set some automatic scenes on the mi home app.

However, the problem comes when i want to link it to use voice control through Google Assistant. Somehow the Aqara light switches are not exposed to Google Home through the Mi Home app. I've read somewhere that if i get the Aqara hub and using the Aqara app, it will be exposed to Google Assistant for voice control. However, I'm looking for alternatives solutions because i don't want to have too many different hubs in my house as i find it quite messy and confusing.

My questions are

1) Has anyone tried it with the Aqara hub? Will it expose the Aqara light switches to Google Assistant?

2) Is there any recommended home hub that is a bit more brand agnostic? This is so that when adding more smart devices from other brands in the future, I might not need to get another new hub for it as well.

3) I read on this thread about the Tuya Hub, will it be able to work to link the Aqara lights to Google Assistant? I've tried researching about it online but information on it seems a bit scarce.

Thanks gurus in advance!

Last edited by blue_yoghurt; 10-04-2020 at 02:33 PM..
blue_yoghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #1061

Hi gurus,

I've got 3 questions on smart home hubs and will like to seek some of your opinions.

I've recently changed my lights switch to the Aqara light switches. (Thanks for the advice earlier!) I have a Xiaomi gateway and managed to find the Aqara light switches to set some automatic scenes on the mi home app.

However, the problem comes when i want to link it to use voice control through Google Assistant. Somehow the Aqara light switches are not exposed to Google Home through the Mi Home app. I've read somewhere that if i get the Aqara hub and using the Aqara app, it will be exposed to Google Assistant for voice control. However, I'm looking for alternatives solutions because i don't want to have too many different hubs in my house as i find it quite messy and confusing.

My questions are

1) Has anyone tried it with the Aqara hub? Will it expose the Aqara light switches to Google Assistant?

2) Is there any recommended home hub that is a bit more brand agnostic? This is so that when adding more smart devices from other brands in the future, I might not need to get another new hub for it as well.

3) I read on this thread about the Tuya Hub, will it be able to work to link the Aqara lights to Google Assistant? I've tried researching about it online but information on it seems a bit scarce.

Thanks gurus in advance!
SmartThings, Homey, Hubitat are very brand agnostic. I'm personally using Hubitat.
Old 29-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #1062

Schneider Electric Wiser Solution

I came across this smart home solution on Renopedia site: https://renopedia.sg/product-news/se...ics-wiser-app/

This seems like a new product from Schneider Electric. Anyone has any encounter with this solution to share your review?
jolintay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #1063
Master Member

I came across this smart home solution on Renopedia site: https://renopedia.sg/product-news/se...ics-wiser-app/

This seems like a new product from Schneider Electric. Anyone has any encounter with this solution to share your review?
Did you reno your place with their KNX based solutions?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #1064

Unfortunately not. It seems quite difficult to get the right salesperson to speak to me. And the technology seems too complicated for me to understand. But now that i came across Wiser, which is also from Schneider Electric, it seems more relevant for residential than KNX.
jolintay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #1065
Master Member

Unfortunately not. It seems quite difficult to get the right salesperson to speak to me. And the technology seems too complicated for me to understand. But now that i came across Wiser, which is also from Schneider Electric, it seems more relevant for residential than KNX.
Looking at the how "closed" the system is, there are better options out there..
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.