HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 01:45 AM   #1081
Master Member

Hi all, I am considering to install smart home solutions in my house soon. But I feel quite overwhelmed by the many brands out there like Google Home, Apple Home, Schneider Electric Wiser etc. since I'm quite new to this. May I know if anyone has any tips for choosing a certain brand of smart home solution?
i was like u afew mths back.

u can start with deciding 1 hub to control everything. cloud-based or local? zigbee, wifi or zwave? for me i have more luck with zigbee.

dont need to get everything first. for reno work, only light switches need to fix. pls get neutral wire ones, its more reliable. i went with aqara rocker switches, i old school, like the physical click buttons.

next rule i follow is every smart device u install, think of contingency plan. e.g. aqara switch fail? i can still use it as normal dumb light switch. e27 bulb socket is very common, I'll advise u to select e27 sockets for all lightings, can mix aqara, hue, ikea, tuya any bulb u like later.

for blinds, I'll go with ikea fyrtur. easier to replace if die, worse case, i plan to fall back to generic dumb ikea blinds. the mounting bracket is the same.

all power points can install 1 plug n play smart power outlet. zigabee or wifi up to u. but i realise i need to pick electronic appliances like standing fans, desk lamps more carefully, need those old school models with physical power on/off buttons else u cant control them remotely.

look for open systems as much as possible. never know when ur fav smart home system will anytime decide to close their cloud severs. even i use aqara, i also dont connect to their china servers.
kreja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #1082

i was like u afew mths back.

u can start with deciding 1 hub to control everything. cloud-based or local? zigbee, wifi or zwave? for me i have more luck with zigbee.

dont need to get everything first. for reno work, only light switches need to fix. pls get neutral wire ones, its more reliable. i went with aqara rocker switches, i old school, like the physical click buttons.

next rule i follow is every smart device u install, think of contingency plan. e.g. aqara switch fail? i can still use it as normal dumb light switch. e27 bulb socket is very common, I'll advise u to select e27 sockets for all lightings, can mix aqara, hue, ikea, tuya any bulb u like later.

for blinds, I'll go with ikea fyrtur. easier to replace if die, worse case, i plan to fall back to generic dumb ikea blinds. the mounting bracket is the same.

all power points can install 1 plug n play smart power outlet. zigabee or wifi up to u. but i realise i need to pick electronic appliances like standing fans, desk lamps more carefully, need those old school models with physical power on/off buttons else u cant control them remotely.

look for open systems as much as possible. never know when ur fav smart home system will anytime decide to close their cloud severs. even i use aqara, i also dont connect to their china servers.
good advice, where and how much did you get your hubitat for?
As for the aqara switches, do you not need to connect to any server for it to work?
tokenbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #1083
Master Member

As for the aqara switches, do you not need to connect to any server for it to work?
can buy directly from https://hubitat.com/.

aqara switches are zigbee devices, can connect to any smart hub, hubitat or smart things.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #1084
Master Member

Yes, you dont want all your automations in one system, but it should also be interoperable (and preferably not via IFTTT with the recent brands dropping support for it) an plan for it to be possible to be manually activated. ie lights/blinds/curtain.. all these can be manually on/off/closed/open if need be.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #1085

Ok, thanks a lot. Just saw hubitat recently came out new C7 version also.
Anyone knows whats the diff for the Z-WAVE frequency? What version does SG normally use?
tokenbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #1086

Ok, thanks a lot. Just saw hubitat recently came out new C7 version also.
Anyone knows whats the diff for the Z-WAVE frequency? What version does SG normally use?
There is no fixed standard but usually people like to buy UK frequency stuff in SG. I believe is 868.42mhz? I'm planning to get the c7 hub to upgrade my hubitat too, really liking how hands off it is once you setup.
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #1087

any one using hubitat?

my zigbee network seems unstable, i cant simultaneously control all my ikea blinds to close at the same time. usually 1 or 2 will not respond.

i already have at least 1 plugged in zigbee device (not bulbs) near my blinds.

i tried shutting down and reboot hubitat for 20min to let zigabee device remap mesh network. 2 days liao, doesnt seem to improve.

do i need to add more ikea power outlet as repeater?
It's an IKEA issue, not a hubitat one. Their ZigBee protocol is not standard, it's like their own customised version of it.
cyberpotato likes this.
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:00 AM   #1088
Master Member

It's an IKEA issue, not a hubitat one. Their ZigBee protocol is not standard, it's like their own customised version of it.
What do you mean?

Do you know of any IR blaster that works with hubitat?

i havent found any devices locally to use zwave. Our official zwave frequency is follow south korea
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #1089

What do you mean?

Do you know of any IR blaster that works with hubitat?

i havent found any devices locally to use zwave. Our official zwave frequency is follow south korea
I'm on UK frequency, easier to find z-wave equipment. There's no good IR blaster that works on z-wave, but if you don't mind searching a bit and doing some DIY, you can check this out here. If all else fails just get a broadlink.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #1090
Master Member

I'm on UK frequency, easier to find z-wave equipment. There's no good IR blaster that works on z-wave, but if you don't mind searching a bit and doing some DIY, you can check this out here. If all else fails just get a broadlink.
was trying that. couldnt really get it to work lol
Old 08-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #1091
Supremacy Member

Anyone using the aqara switches with mi hub system, and managed to successfully connect to google home or alexa? Just got wifi to my renovated resale, so trying to set up my home automation now.

Ran into what seems like a common problem of not being able to link the xiaomi eco system to google home in the recent months (have not tried alexa yet). I am trying to enable voice control to on-off my lights.
Based on my research, it seems like i may need to go for a 3rd party integrator, like Home Assistant to get the mi/aqara devices connected to google or alexa... anyone has a simpler solution?
dareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #1092

A quick tip, check the number of installs and reviews in playstore for the various Smart Home apps.

Wiser: 5,000+ installs (2.8*, 33 total reviews)
Homey: 10,000+ installs (3.7*, 242 total reviews)
Hubitat: 10,000+ installs (3.8*, 129 total reviews)
Broadlink: 100,000+ installs (3.3*, 5942 total reviews)
Home Assistant: 100,000+ installs (4.5*, 1522 total reviews)
Tuya: 500,000+ installs (4.4*, 8385 total reviews)
SmartLife: 1,000,000+ installs (4.0*, 29805 total reviews)
Samsung SmartThings: 100,000,000+ installs (4.3*, 463464 total reviews)
Google Home: 100,000,000+ installs (4.1*, 845527 total reviews)
You forgot eWeLink app.

eWeLink: 1,000,000+ (3.6*, 26k total reviews)

Posted from PCWX using SM-N960F
singcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #1093

Anyone using the aqara switches with mi hub system, and managed to successfully connect to google home or alexa? Just got wifi to my renovated resale, so trying to set up my home automation now.

Ran into what seems like a common problem of not being able to link the xiaomi eco system to google home in the recent months (have not tried alexa yet). I am trying to enable voice control to on-off my lights.
Based on my research, it seems like i may need to go for a 3rd party integrator, like Home Assistant to get the mi/aqara devices connected to google or alexa... anyone has a simpler solution?
I don't think Aqara D1 switches can be linked to any external voice control (Google, Alexa) other than Xiaomi own XiaoAi or Apple HomeKit.
singcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 01:53 AM   #1094

Anyone know any of solution that can automate control of a ceiling fan?

The remote control uses rolling RF code, so my Broadlink RM4 Pro doesn't work on it. Can capture the RF signal but can't do anything with it.

The fan brand is Himitsu, by the way.
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #1095
Arch-Supremacy Member

anyone using MiJia or Aqara Motion Sensors to automate turning On and Off of Lights?

I have an Aqara motion sensor which i had place in my store room. When motion detected, i have automation to turn on the light, and after 2 mins of no activity, then turn off the light.

The turning ON of light works almost 100%. The problem is the turning OFF.
Alot of times, i get a notification that Turn OFF task failed or Error completing Turn OFF task. If left unnoticed, the lights will be on forever (happened a few times)

Anyone has such issues or has any ideas how to solve this?

I have tried switching it OFF twice in my automation like If No Motion for 2mins, Turn OFF light. Wait 10s Turn OFF light. This automation also has high failure rate where both tasks will fail to OFF light.

my temporary solution now is using a wireless button switch placed outside the store room such that if i'm walking to kitchen and notice the light in store room is not OFF, i can turn it OFF via the wireless switch.

Extra info, the light in the Store room is a Aqara LED Light Bulb (Tunable White) which is connected to the Aqara Hub.
xenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.