Home Automation Enthusiasts

233mmx

Reaction score
Some useful read if u have concerns on HA security:
https://www.cnet.com/news/how-hackable-are-your-smart-home-gadgets/

tbh, if you are new to HA I would recommend investing in zigbee / zwave / wifi setup, these protocols are built with security features. A layer of defense against sniffing, rf 433 traffic is easily decoded.. (google, rf 433 sniffers)

Not sure about the rest, I would place functionality and security equally important in a HA setup, the last thing I would want to learn is someone in the cloud controlling my IoT devices :s22: (google, Mirai bots) Imagine some joker switching on and off your lights when you are having your bath :eek:

You might want to learn how to create a vlan for your IoT devices. :o If one of your IoT devices got compromised, at least it doesn't affect your home network. :s12:

shacboi

Reaction score
wow, this is a super valid point. at one point during my online research i find myself asking if rf devices can travel up to 20 metres, wont my neighbour be able to discover my device if he also has a broadlink rm pro? or am i asking a dumb question?

Haha.. Actually i think if ppl wana sniff ur RF... Den start controlling ur lights, wld be funny. Firstly i duno who wana do dat... Esp must be very near u, within ur range. If ur frds wana ji siao u... Oso need come dwn ur hse to scan which i tink most ppl r too lazy uless they r out to get u...

Secondly, if they hav interest to on n off ur lights for u... Mayb can intro them the HA or how to setup smart devices... Tink they will be potential users next. :s13:

Mayb jus dun do the rf unlock door can liao.

waterfoe

Reaction score
Actually let not get confuse with home control and home automation.

Conventional control are via the physical switches, but with technology, control can be in the form of apps via smart phone and voice via alexa, google home....

Home automation is more like how programmable the system is....

In my opinion, to have a future-proof solution, the fundamental of your home automation should be in place first than move on to the voice controlled integration.

If you have everything that is cloud based, what if your internet or router is down.... can your house still function? No doubt cloud based HA is cheap because all the processing muscle are transferred over to the service provider.

Don't just focus solely on the price point alone.... end of the day, you are going to be using the system.....

Yo, welcome to endless reading :o HA is still an ever-changing landscape, more and more players are emerging now, it gonna be more segregated. Probably non would be a future-proof solution. It's more on which one meets your requirements at the current point of time and most the importantly, budget.. :o

For me, I would wait until I settle the renovation and when want to move in then review again on the available products. And not forgetting rewiring the Neutral line to all the light switches..

I want the HA integration with HomeKit because my family is using IOS.. So, I have to choose a platform with large base users, as the community support is required to write the HomeBridge plugin. More people use = the plugin will be available quicker, bugs solved quicker too :o

As of now, Mi Home caught my attention.. Reasonable price, quality products, large user base, and integration are widely available. :o

I see, meh. There is no perfect solution, just need to find workaround =:p

shacboi

Reaction score
Hi bros, just sharing... Maybe some of u already know...

Recently found out google app have home control function and now recognised broadlink account too. Meaning.... U can add ur acct there and use hp google-assistant to ON n OFF ur stuffs by... Voice to hp OR by typing!

But i realised doesn't do tv remote... Lights and SCENES work. U can add ur lights to a group and activate the group. Nice...

Im an Alexa user... But i welcome this google-assistant function on my hp! Best is its free.. No need buy any google home or mini.

Wat u need (according to my settings) to have and to do :

1.Google app beta installed on hp (pls google to see how to be a beta user,
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7003180?hl=en )

2. Broadlink IHC app (some lights template to play ard in app, Not tv remote template)

3. Link/enabled broadlink acct to google-assistant settings, home control function.

And u are good to go! Enjoy! :D

Commands are,

Turn on/off {device name}
Turn on/off {group name}

U3EARkc.jpg

ch0XRd3.jpg

gFDsBMH.jpg

Patientcapital

Reaction score
Hi bros, just out of curiosity, do you guys mind sharing:

1) your current own HA setup
2) how much (roughly) you have spent so far
3) any regrets on your setup so far
4) what is your next HA project

I personally have not started my HA project yet... tho i'm getting my bto keys tmr!

TIA!

shacboi

Reaction score
Broadlink

I personally have not started my HA project yet... tho i'm getting my bto keys tmr!

TIA!

hello there, i dun mind sharing wit u on my simple setup of smart devices... i didn't use the big brands or powerful systems due to my 'budget' ,

i'm currently experimental using the cheap Broadlink S2 alarm kit (with sensors), RM pro3, cheap brandless RF sockets, Echo dots(Alexa) & mobile phone's free google-assistant.

with all the listed stuffs, i can switch ON/OFF a floor lamp on RF socket for example via the below ways,
1) manual click power button on RF socket
2) RF socket's own remote control to RF socket
3) RM Pro RF signal to RF socket (via RM Pro's app)
4) Echo dots(Alexa) voice commands to RF socket (via RM Pro)
5) Mobile phone's Google-Assistant voice/type commands to RF socket (via RM Pro)
6) Broadlink's sensor signal to RF socket (via S2 Hub + RM Pro)

total spent around S$300 (bulk of the $ due to the purchase of my 3 Echo Dots)

currently awaiting for my RF wall switches to arrive and will implement similar setup for individual switches. (cost quite abit, ard S$400 as I bought about 12 switches + 1 remote controller) :s13:

Regrets? Why have regrets, just having fun exploring ard by adding more options to control your stuffs (unless if u mean the amt of $ spent).

Overall happy with what I have done now, hope this helps!

Last edited:

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros, just sharing... Maybe some of u already know...

Recently found out google app have home control function and now recognised broadlink account too. Meaning.... U can add ur acct there and use hp google-assistant to ON n OFF ur stuffs by... Voice to hp OR by typing!

But i realised doesn't do tv remote... Lights and SCENES work. U can add ur lights to a group and activate the group. Nice...

Im an Alexa user... But i welcome this google-assistant function on my hp! Best is its free.. No need buy any google home or mini.

Wat u need (according to my settings) to have and to do :

1.Google app beta installed on hp (pls google to see how to be a beta user,
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7003180?hl=en )

Hi, I can't find the Google app

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android phone shld have it installed alrdy? Else u can go Google play download.

Google app (Beta), must join the beta user program.

Oh, are u using iOS? Tot u were talking a diff beta Google app that I must install separately from the one that comes with my Android phone.

I just ordered the Xiaomi smart remote, similar to broadlink. See how it goes.

BTW, does this work with Google Home?

shacboi

Reaction score
Oh, are u using iOS? Tot u were talking a diff beta Google app that I must install separately from the one that comes with my Android phone.

I just ordered the Xiaomi smart remote, similar to broadlink. See how it goes.

BTW, does this work with Google Home?

Nope, mi using android too. 😬

This home control function only in Google app beta version as far as i know.

I tink Google Home is using same google-assistant AI as other Google products therefore yes, it is applicable to Google Home.

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope, mi using android too. 😬

This home control function only in Google app beta version as far as i know.

I tink Google Home is using same google-assistant AI as other Google products therefore yes, it is applicable to Google Home.

Oh i found it. My 'non' beta Google app also has option to add devices, just that the navigation to this feature is diff from urs.

Can only see 'Yeelight' app, no Mi Home app. damn:(

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score

TIA!

Currently i am rather invested into the Xiaomi Mijia Ecosys, they are not exactly cheap, but can be versatile in future.

1. Lighting: 1 Yeelight Ceiling Light, 3 Sonoff Ceiling Lights.
Xiaomi Robot Vacuum, Xiaoyi and Xiaofang IP cams. Xiaomi Router 3 Pro with USB hdd. Xiaomi Smart Home Hub, Human sensor, 2x Xiaomi Smart round switches
1x Google Home Mini

Currently the Xiaomi Smart Home Hub serves as my alarm clock every morning and my nightlight. The Human sensor automatically switches off the night light after i fall asleep.

The cameras record to micro sd card and transfer history footage to usb hdd which serves as a nas via Xiaomi router.

2. Expenditure so far should be around $700 liao.

3. Regrets: Bought Sonoff wall switches and found out they need neutral lines. For those who have neutral lines, Sonoff wall switches are good because they have BOTH wifi and RF 433mhz.

4. Next HA project coming up:

A. Linking up my Xiaomi Kettle to my yeelight ceiling light (it is also a bluetooth hub) #boliao
B. Xiaomi rice cooker to precook rice before reaching home #superboliao
C. Xiaomi Aqara non neutral wall switches.
D: A Smartthings hub. Why ? Because Smartthings support Zigbee and Z Wave. because Xiaomi aqara and related sensors run off zigbee, so i can depart off its own proprietary hub and be google home ready.
E: More Sonoff switches ( bought the usb flasher to flash them to Smartthings firmware)

Crap. too many plans.

wira

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone advice if you manage get Google hone to work wiwith h Logitech harmony hub ?

evq

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently i am rather invested into the Xiaomi Mijia Ecosys, they are not exactly cheap, but can be versatile in future.

1. Lighting: 1 Yeelight Ceiling Light, 3 Sonoff Ceiling Lights.
Xiaomi Robot Vacuum, Xiaoyi and Xiaofang IP cams. Xiaomi Router 3 Pro with USB hdd. Xiaomi Smart Home Hub, Human sensor, 2x Xiaomi Smart round switches
1x Google Home Mini

Currently the Xiaomi Smart Home Hub serves as my alarm clock every morning and my nightlight. The Human sensor automatically switches off the night light after i fall asleep.

The cameras record to micro sd card and transfer history footage to usb hdd which serves as a nas via Xiaomi router.

2. Expenditure so far should be around $700 liao.

3. Regrets: Bought Sonoff wall switches and found out they need neutral lines. For those who have neutral lines, Sonoff wall switches are good because they have BOTH wifi and RF 433mhz.

4. Next HA project coming up:

A. Linking up my Xiaomi Kettle to my yeelight ceiling light (it is also a bluetooth hub) #boliao
B. Xiaomi rice cooker to precook rice before reaching home #superboliao
C. Xiaomi Aqara non neutral wall switches.
D: A Smartthings hub. Why ? Because Smartthings support Zigbee and Z Wave. because Xiaomi aqara and related sensors run off zigbee, so i can depart off its own proprietary hub and be google home ready.
E: More Sonoff switches ( bought the usb flasher to flash them to Smartthings firmware)

Crap. too many plans.

Hi,

how u link all ur xiaomi products with google home? I can only link with Yeelight.

Does ur MiHome app using Mainland China due to the camera?

Last edited:

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

how u link all ur xiaomi products with google home? I can only link with Yeelight.

Does ur MiHome app using Mainland China due to the camera?

Havent linked them up yet. But technically it is possible to do so using Smartthings hub. Keeping my pace slow so i wont get overwhlemed.

Yeelight is just a Xiaomi partner so they have a certain autonomy, hence they able to link their lights to Google Home natively.

Just installed Xiaomi Aqara Light switches (without neutral), they feel like mechanical switches. Much better than touch based broadlink ones, but man are they expensive... Added sensor to auto on light at the door when someone comes home and open the door. So far so good.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.