HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Home Automation Enthusiasts

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #121

Wow, they probably partnering with Amazon now. Looks like Mi Smart Home ecosystem is a good option too. Especially, the light switch doesn't require Neutral line. No need headache rewiring the switches.

Since, I will be getting Mi purifier and Mi Robot Vacuum, adopting Mi Smart Home probably make more sense.
Yea... They can copy echodot till lik dat... Very qiang!

And xiaomi and its subsidiary yeelight coming up alot of smArt devices at competitive prices... Wun go wrong... Haha.
shacboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #122
evq
Arch-Supremacy Member

just got my Yeelight. Existing screw holes are not suitable, will need to drill new holes. The package include 2 typical screws. So I just drill them into my ceiling like we usually did for wall shelves?
evq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:14 AM   #123

Thanks AsusEpoxy and 233mmx, for the valuable advice.

After much reading... Seems like using Samsung SmartThings would provide better integration and a more future proof solution..

SmartThings
- Z-wave switches
- BOND Home / Broadlink+raspberry pi
- Smart lock
- Voice control with Siri using HomeBridge

Huge project. Probably will start with learning how to integrate with the light switches

Hi sean_x, I am too has just embarked on this journey. As I'm getting my bto in the next few mths, I do have the flexibility to pull neutral wires to all the points. But according to what I've read so far, this may not necessarily "future-proof" my home against advancing HA tech. What do you guys think? What I'm aiming for in my HA is basically just to be able to have a master switch to turn off all electricity when I leave home (perhaps except the refridgerator), be able to control my irobot remotely, be able to switch on/off my air-con remotely, and also be able to monitor my electricity usage in real time.

Thanks in advance guys. And hope u guys have an awesome year ahead!
Patientcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #124
Master Member

Wow, they probably partnering with Amazon now. Looks like Mi Smart Home ecosystem is a good option too. Especially, the light switch doesn't require Neutral line. No need headache rewiring the switches.

Since, I will be getting Mi purifier and Mi Robot Vacuum, adopting Mi Smart Home probably make more sense.
don't count on it, from what i know of Xiaomi's strategy, its gonna be 2 prong.

Xiaoai for domestic, Alexa partnership for international.
The Mi robot vacuum is a domestic in china product only, most probably won't be able to control as you need to switch your locale to Singapore/International. Still kena pwn by Xiaomi
Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #125

... What I'm aiming for in my HA is basically just to be able to have a master switch to turn off all electricity when I leave home (perhaps except the refridgerator), be able to control my irobot remotely, be able to switch on/off my air-con remotely, and also be able to monitor my electricity usage in real time.
It sounds do-able so no worries. The neutral wire is needed by some product brands but same time there are others that do not require that.

There are Broadlink and Sonoff products that can help you achieve your HA goals.

You need to decide which route to go (AA, GH or HK) and check if the products are compatible.
Patientcapital likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #126

Talking

It sounds do-able so no worries. The neutral wire is needed by some product brands but same time there are others that do not require that.

There are Broadlink and Sonoff products that can help you achieve your HA goals.

You need to decide which route to go (AA, GH or HK) and check if the products are compatible.
just to share, so far wat i know for Radio-Freq wall switch that doesn't require Neutral wire are,

Broadlink TC2
Funry ST1/ST2
Livolo
Yoogee

Last edited by shacboi; 03-01-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Old 04-01-2018, 01:57 AM   #127

wow, thanks for your advice! which route (AA, GH, HK) is better in your opinion, considering my HA requirements?

shacboi: thanks for your recommendation! will google each of these products!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #128

3 choices

For now I would say go with AA being the most mature of the 3 but GH could be a force to be reckoned with in 2018. The Mini is also very very attractive in terms of costs.

For Apple Homekit, if you're already in their ecosystem, it should be easy to integrate once more products are compatible with it.

wow, thanks for your advice! which route (AA, GH, HK) is better in your opinion, considering my HA requirements?

shacboi: thanks for your recommendation! will google each of these products!

Last edited by 233mmx; 04-01-2018 at 09:13 PM..
233mmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #129

Hi sean_x, I am too has just embarked on this journey. As I'm getting my bto in the next few mths, I do have the flexibility to pull neutral wires to all the points. But according to what I've read so far, this may not necessarily "future-proof" my home against advancing HA tech. What do you guys think? What I'm aiming for in my HA is basically just to be able to have a master switch to turn off all electricity when I leave home (perhaps except the refridgerator), be able to control my irobot remotely, be able to switch on/off my air-con remotely, and also be able to monitor my electricity usage in real time.

Thanks in advance guys. And hope u guys have an awesome year ahead!
Yo, welcome to endless reading HA is still an ever-changing landscape, more and more players are emerging now, it gonna be more segregated. Probably non would be a future-proof solution. It's more on which one meets your requirements at the current point of time and most the importantly, budget..

For me, I would wait until I settle the renovation and when want to move in then review again on the available products. And not forgetting rewiring the Neutral line to all the light switches..

I want the HA integration with HomeKit because my family is using IOS.. So, I have to choose a platform with large base users, as the community support is required to write the HomeBridge plugin. More people use = the plugin will be available quicker, bugs solved quicker too

As of now, Mi Home caught my attention.. Reasonable price, quality products, large user base, and integration are widely available.

don't count on it, from what i know of Xiaomi's strategy, its gonna be 2 prong.

Xiaoai for domestic, Alexa partnership for international.
The Mi robot vacuum is a domestic in china product only, most probably won't be able to control as you need to switch your locale to Singapore/International. Still kena pwn by Xiaomi

I see, meh. There is no perfect solution, just need to find workaround
sean_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 AM   #130

Yo, welcome to endless reading HA is still an ever-changing landscape, more and more players are emerging now, it gonna be more segregated. Probably non would be a future-proof solution. It's more on which one meets your requirements at the current point of time and most the importantly, budget..

For me, I would wait until I settle the renovation and when want to move in then review again on the available products. And not forgetting rewiring the Neutral line to all the light switches..

I want the HA integration with HomeKit because my family is using IOS.. So, I have to choose a platform with large base users, as the community support is required to write the HomeBridge plugin. More people use = the plugin will be available quicker, bugs solved quicker too

As of now, Mi Home caught my attention.. Reasonable price, quality products, large user base, and integration are widely available.

I see, meh. There is no perfect solution, just need to find workaround

You are spot on bro. Endless reading! Have more or less chionged through all threads about HA.. until 5 minutes ago... when I found another forum (lowyat, apparently a msian forum) 80+ pages discussing HA!

Wah seh you wanna pull the neutral wires to all the points? Is it so that in case in future zwave standard takes over iot or you are already eyeing some zwave products?

Well for me, HK stuffs a bit out of my budget... I'm more inclined towards shacboi's setup la for now: broadlink RM pro + tc2 switches + AA -- more likely will get approved by wifey

Anyway, one key thing I am very interested to have is to monitor my electricity consumption real time from my phone and I've come across this product: smappee (paiseh I cant post links yet) Any bros using this here in SG? Is it even compatible with a typical HDB outfit?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:16 AM   #131

For now I would say go with AA being the most mature of the 3 but GH could be a force to be reckoned with in 2018. The Mini is also very very attractive in terms of costs.

For Apple Homekit, if you're already in their ecosystem, it should be easy to integrate once more products are compatible with it.

Thanks bro. After a bit of reading, incl some of your old posts, I think AA is still my top choice for now. My main bug bear with google is that you cant change the wake name... die die must say "Ok Google"
Old 05-01-2018, 02:50 AM   #132

Thanks bro. After a bit of reading, incl some of your old posts, I think AA is still my top choice for now. My main bug bear with google is that you cant change the wake name... die die must say "Ok Google"
U can call it ok goo-goo if u lik. Sumtimes it will respond to u. Hahh

Same for Alexa, u can call her AH-laksa.. She response well too. Hahh
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #133
Master Member

smappee looks interesting, but the costs is quite high, 189 Euros means 300 plus SGD?
with that you can get around 15 pcs of Sonoff POW which allow u to do the same thing to individual appliances and apply granular controls.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #134

Lol! Wake words should be the least of your concerns. But I remember watching a CNET review which showed that the wake word can be changed to "Hey Google".

The thing about HA imho, at least currently, is that products are all overpriced and likely to be compatible with only 1 ecosystem and not the rest. There is no way we can "try out" GH or HK as surely something's not gonna work. That sucks from consumer's point of view.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #135
Master Member

Anyone here has wifi doorbell cum camera here?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.