Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just received my electrical bills

no big problems so far.

installed the air con during the end of Jul now the electrical bill has dropped =:p

graphvm.jpg

how long do u used it per day ?

messydirty

Reaction score
Just to put some info on the web for people interested...

Bought at Gaincity Expo sales on 03 Jul 2011.

Purchased
1x AUX3M24LV (the outdoor unit)
2x AHXPC9LV (2x 9000btu indoor unit)
1x AHXPC12LV (1x 12000btu indoor unit) ... all 4 items for $2839

Outdoor Unit Bracket ... $150
Upgrade to thicker insulation ... $180

Total paid including GST
$3169 (bao ka liao, include running of pipes, remove old unit/bracket etc)

Freebies
5 years warranty (1 + 4 covers electrical and mechanical parts, labor and transport, exclude servicing and remote control).
Philips Micro Ipod Docking station (DCM292)

Info
http://www.sharp.com.sg/web/products/prodDetail.asp?ProdId=335&mode=Feat

Not sure if I got a good deal as I'm not really into air-con, picked this because it's all aluminium, got the ion thingy built-in which my mom really like, and it's got 4 ticks, full load 2.07 and partial load 0.67 if I'm not wrong.

They will be installing on 20 July.

By the way, the salesperson Mr. Roy Lim was very patient, friendly and knowledgeable, he really took his time to explain to us, clear our doubts and even demonstrated the functionalities of the air-con thoroughly, I think all salesperson should learn from him, not like the earlier guy so impatient, ask him something his face like want to fall asleep, yeah, he even open his mouth and yawn like nobody business when my mom asked him a question haha... Later ask him what about our old air-con if we buy new, he say they can un-install and remove for us but we say what if we want to keep (my mom want to give to uncle), he very straightforward say then you un-install the air-con and the bracket yourself then call us to install, wah lao eh, like that also can lol... think he really F-care liao, stand so many days sibei sian liao lol...

Bro! i just bought the same unit as you from Roy Lim, I guess it should be the same sales person.. anyway.. hows the noise issue? is it really too loud ?

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody can advise the disadvantage of using 3/8" insulation compare with 1/2"?
3/8 is thinner, 1/2 is thicker.

thicker insulation can prevent from sweating, improve the "cold" inside.

thinner insulation can help to have smaller trunking.

but if its running R410A, than better use 1/2.

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
For Mitsubishi, is there a need to replace the filter inside periodically, since there is "special blue enzymes"?
The enzymes will run out over time isn't it?

Mitsubishi%20Electric_System%203_2763L

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
No idea, never used ME.
Only reading about the "Anti-Allergy Enzyme Filter" from the brochure =:p

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
oh...
That should be a point to take note of for those choosing ME aircons I guess. Those who choose other brands like panasonic that only use ionizer will not have to worry about replacing filters?

Anyway I just chose ME. Hopefully not too expensive to replace the filter.

freespiritsy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow, what a great thread, needs to be bookmarked for posterity! :D

I didn't know about this thread and only chanced upon it late last night and has been reading it from last pg up to only Pg 100 now (at this moment i'm still at Yr 2009 posts). I hope to accomplish the humongous task of reading up to Pg 1 by tonight. So, i could then go down to the shops tomorrow to get quotes.

I've learnt so much from chunlianghere, terumo (the professional expert) and 'cute' thesingingbard - tks, folks for making invaluable comments on this topic :s12:

In the interest of time, I thought I should now post a few queries which i hope you experts could help enlighten in the meanwhile.

But, first, some background. I bought my Daikin inverter system 4 eleven yrs ago. My fancoil model is Ftk25hve for 3 rooms and fancoil model Ftk50hve for living room aircon. We can't remember condensor model though. My other half wanted to get non-inverter aircon then but my contractor advised otherwise then. Nevertheless our Daikin has served us well these yrs.

My parents have been using the aircon in their room for 1st 7 yrs during the nights (7-8 hrs). The one in my room has hardly been used until 3 yrs ago during the night (which means, i didn't use it for 1st 7 yrs as i didn't like to sleep in aircon previously).

The condenser finally gave way in 2010. The Daikin repair man was an honest man. He asked me not to replace the PCB board as it costs about $750 and it made sense for us to buy a new aircon as my aircon is old. As the weather was a tad warm and we didn't want the hassle to source for a new aircon, we didn't heed his advice and the PCB board lasted a yr - a lesson learnt. The new board after a yr is now burnt beyond repair 3 wks ago so we need to get a new aircon now. I can still go without aircon in meanwhile due to cool weather.

My other half's advice is to go for a non-inverter aircon, which concurs with chunlianghere and terumo's POVs. We will go for a Daikin System 2 this time as we realise we don't need 4 aircons (we hardly use the aircon in the study room and living room). Aircon in our room will be switched on daily for 7-8 hrs. The other aircon will be switched on minimally i.e. probably once a week.

Seems both chunlianghere and terumo are advocators of Daikin too :) From a number of posts here, Toshiba seems not bad too but for peace of mind, i will go for Daikin since I've personally experienced this brand and i really like the Daikin repair team. Terumo has said G23 and 3/8 suffice so i will stick to that and not upgrade.

A few qns :

1) As my fan coils are still working, can i just replace my condenser with a System 2 and continue to use my existing pipings and trunkings bearing in mind they are already 11 yrs old? Or should i just get a new System 2?

2) I read one very bad review here about Hong Tar and one other bad review about contractor Fairprice Xtra uses so I'm wary of going to these 2. Seems Gain City gets the most positive feedbacks so i will prob just settle for Gain City without shopping around as the analogy terumo gave about 'not being penny wise pound foolish' was very insightful. But, other than being nice to installers, there's no way i can ensure i get quality ones so i can only pray right? :)

tks.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@freespiritsy

u can replace the condenser, but only from brand's company. dont tink its worth it cos the cost sure to be higher or around the same as getting a new one.

of cos recommended is to change the trunking and pipings. but if the condition of the insulation is gd n piping is using G23, than u can keep it. :s22: (since its 11 years, dont tink it is still in gd condition ba?)

for some of the room tat u plan not to change to new aircon, i hav comment on this. it will affect the price of the hse if those room is not air-conditioned. but i guess new hse owner majority will throw the old one n get new one. :s8:

freespiritsy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@freespiritsy

u can replace the condenser, but only from brand's company. dont tink its worth it cos the cost sure to be higher or around the same as getting a new one.

of cos recommended is to change the trunking and pipings. but if the condition of the insulation is gd n piping is using G23, than u can keep it. :s22: (since its 11 years, dont tink it is still in gd condition ba?)

for some of the room tat u plan not to change to new aircon, i hav comment on this. it will affect the price of the hse if those room is not air-conditioned. but i guess new hse owner majority will throw the old one n get new one. :s8:

tks 4 quick reply, chunlianghere :)

seems i can't settle for just a condenser as cost will be similar to getting a new system.

i'm not so sure abt my pipings but i think my trunking is still OK. so prob will need to replace pipings just to be on safe side. i was hoping to save some $ since i will still be using same R22 though changing to non converter aircon. but again, i don't want to be penny wise, pound foolish.

tks, for highlighting about value of flat being affected by 'lack' of aircons - it's news to me, guess i've yet to read up to that part of ur posts :) guess i've no choice despite this as no pt paying extra for 2 other aircons i might not use.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
I've learnt so much from chunlianghere, terumo (the professional expert) and 'cute' thesingingbard - tks, folks for making invaluable comments on this topic :s12:

wa thanks freespiritsy... first time being called 'cute' in HWZ. =:p

think chunlianghere basically covered everything.

installation cost for air-con is usually pretty high. so if you're not changing the piping, make sure u get a substantial price reduction becoz of it.

but if you're changing the piping then i suspect it'll pretty much cost the same coz trunkings are actually pretty cheap. :s8:

freespiritsy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wa thanks freespiritsy... first time being called 'cute' in HWZ. =:p

think chunlianghere basically covered everything.

installation cost for air-con is usually pretty high. so if you're not changing the piping, make sure u get a substantial price reduction becoz of it.

but if you're changing the piping then i suspect it'll pretty much cost the same coz trunkings are actually pretty cheap. :s8:

I find u quite a 'darling' the way u 'piped' in, pardon the pun :)

Noted on ur comments. I will most likely ask for new pipes. Tks

freespiritsy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i went to Gain City Marina Sq today. Though I already had in mind to buy Daikin non-inverter System 2, I switched on the aircon of a few brands to test (mostly inverter ones). I was disappointed Daikin non-inverter aircon was not available for me to sample the cool air.

The sales guy was promoting Mitsubishi Industrial inverter as there was an offer of free 5 yr warranty and some $200 disc ($2299) this weekend. He said he sold a few sets today. He also said Daikin does not give discount or free warranty whatsover. Daikin System 2 non inverter costs $1699, excluding $299 warranty.

When i 'test-drove' Mit Ind, i actually liked it very much as the air was so darn cold, which's what i like in an aircon. I know for a fact non-inverter aircons r not as 'cold' though termperature could be tweaked lower. Other half not keen on inverter aircons though.

I also get to see samples of Armaflex of various sizes. All the reading on this thread sure comes in handy.

My other half has asked me to check with 'Cool Serve' to find out cost of just getting a Daikin replacement condenser in meanwhile for a comparison nevertheless as Chunlianghere has already said earlier cost should be similar as replacing a brand new set of aircon.

We are still mulling over 'what' to get ...at this pt I'm just mid-way reading the entire thread.

terumo

Reaction score
Freespiritsy,

Your current faulty model outdoor should be 4mk75hven.
Current Daikin 4mkd75dvm cant work with your ftk25hve. You cannot replace the outdoor unit alone, got to change the whole system.

freespiritsy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Freespiritsy,

Your current faulty model outdoor should be 4mk75hven.
Current Daikin 4mkd75dvm cant work with your ftk25hve. You cannot replace the outdoor unit alone, got to change the whole system.

tks, terumo. I just read ur msg.

BTW it seems my outdoor model's an even older version i.e. 4mk75. there's this guy whom my other half knew thru this forum previously, seems very knowledgable also as he has come to my place 2 check out my aircon 1 yr ago. My other half just located this lost contact. When i met him previously, he seems very knowledgable. He used to work for Daikin. According to him, he can replace us with just a new Sys 3 non inverter condenser without having to change my room fancoils n pipes for just $1100. He said he could get it directly from Daikin.

I need to find out more since you and those i've asked have confirmed not possible to change just condenser. I spoke 2 my daikin repair man b4 i read ur msg n he also said the same thing. Coolserve also said likewise when i spoke 2 lady a few mins ago.

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
If ur blower is fth25hve, ur outdoor is 4mk75hven or 4mk75fven.
If you wan to change to Daikin non-inverterm (Ma56ev16) you need change your existing 3 ftk25hve pcb too. Did he factor that in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.