HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #1831

Nope, my house is not at Bendemeer. Went to Natural Cool today to check on the airconditioners. Found out that Panasonic does not have system 4. Was told by the sales staff that Mitsubishi system 4 inverter aircon system MXY-4A28VA has a suitable sized compressor which can pass through the small sized aircon ledge window. There is one model with 18,000BTU and another 20,000BTU with less than $100 difference in price. Seems like Mitsubishi system 4 is used by many apartments at Pinnacle. Might want to to get this inverter aircon but would like to get feedback first from owners who are using this model and brand. Is it cool, quiet and energy-saving? Daikin also has a system 4 inverter aircon but the compressor is slightly bigger. It is also much more expensive.

Last edited by relaxcatdog; 22-11-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 24-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #1832

I am using Panasonic non-inverter. Not fantastic. My friends told me to use Daikin and I have also heard favorable things about Daikin form my colleagues. I will get that for my new house.
there is some user using Panasonic inverter system 1 here before.. and her review is quite good..

I agree non-inverter sucks big time... so I will be posting a review for Panasonic Inverter SYstem 2 here.

Installation Date: 4 December 2010
Old 24-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #1833
Greater Supremacy Member

what is inverter and non inverter ?

It's a word that describes a person who is strong enough to enjoy life alone.
Old 25-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #1834

was looking at non inverter Sanyo or toshiba, but sanyo bought over by pana
so ended up looking at toshiba noninverter, but cost ard $2k
which make me ended up getting mitsubishi heavy industries sys3 inverter with ion function
$2555

inverter vs non inverter
Old 25-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #1835

partly reason
R22 reduced or stopping production, in demand and low in supply means costly if want to repair nxt time
R410A is eco frendly, and mass production also make it more cost efficient to repair in near future

bought from creation aircon
first yr got 1 service free
then subsequently got $300 servicing voucher for the nxt 2yrs after the first yr
half yrly service once
each time is ard $90 for topup of gas, cleanning, inspection etc....

so $300 can use for ard 3 times
Old 25-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #1836

creation selling bracket for $120
even if got bracket, if not stainless steel, also must reinstall
if compressor too small for existing bracket, also must reinstall...
haizz.....
hope my bracket cann reuse and save $120.....

no more sanyo for info

integration of business for aircon department at least:

toshiba/carrier
panasonic/sanyo
Old 25-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #1837
Greater Supremacy Member

was looking at non inverter Sanyo or toshiba, but sanyo bought over by pana
so ended up looking at toshiba noninverter, but cost ard $2k
which make me ended up getting mitsubishi heavy industries sys3 inverter with ion function
$2555

inverter vs non inverter
thanks. guess i will choose inverter, as i will on the air con every night.

Old 26-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #1838
Master Member

any recommendation for the whole house --> living room + 3 rooms?
required system 4 right?
if you're going to use it daily, maybe can look up NEA's website on energy-efficient air-cons. http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp

do consider installation as well... coz a branded air-con + bad installation olso can lead to inefficiency and other maintenance issues.

as for recommended brands... well... there're a lot of them in this thread.
Old 26-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #1839
Master Member

My mom just got an aircon installation for System 2 non-inverter.
Was quoted $1400 inclusive of installation for it (Mitsubishi).
Trying to check the exact model now.

I need some help if the price looks ok.
Also warranty they provide 1 year for everything except compressor will be 5 years.....is this what's provided outside normally?
Old 27-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #1840

Hi to all,

Need some help here.

My old (really old aircon) is going to konk out soon.

I was recommended by the aircon servicing guy to change to a inverter which uses R22 refrigerant.

Any idea if I can switch to another inverter that user R410A refrigerant?

I am reusing back the old piping. But the piping very old already. I guess 15 years. Do you think its advisable? Changing piping is out of question coz existing piping is hidden and would involve some renovation / tearing down work.

Thanks and regards

Last edited by amlim; 27-11-2010 at 10:23 AM..
Old 28-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #1841
Greater Supremacy Member

hi all,

i have been living in my current home, when we move in the flat back then, only the master bedroom (my mum room) got aircon installed. recently i feel my 2 fans are not cooling me at all despite blowing at me 20 cm away. So i thinking of buying a single unit aircon to be install in my room..

So i told my parents about it.. They told me that install aircon in my room need to inform hdb ?? true or not ? lol. I think its more they want to "bluff" me into not buying an aircon, knowing that i will be using aircon every nite.

If buy portable aircon is it strong enough to cool my room ? i am a person who is very scared of the heat..

Need some suggestions.

Old 28-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #1842

Hello everyone,

Currently renovating my ground floor and contractor has recommended 2 * 18,000 BTU units (single spilt), one each for living all and dinning area.

He has recommended Toshiba and Daikin, both brands carry a 5yr warranty for condenser and 1yr for FCU.

Toshiba is about $300+ more expensive as condenser is made in Japan. Is it worth Toshiba worth the extra amount?

He has recommended the following units:

1) http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/...ls.asp?id=1853

2) http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/...ls.asp?id=3085

3) http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/...ls.asp?id=1702

I'm thinking of getting option 2 as its a newer model and has a 4-tick energy efficiency rating. The contractor is however recommending option 3, he claims its a well proven model but its more expensive and only has 3-ticks.

Is it true that a higher BTU inverter unit uses less electricity as compressor has to work less hard? Contractor says lower equipment cost from lower BTU unit will be negated by high power bills in the long run as condenser has to run at a higher load?

Does a 4-tick system save more $$$ (vs 3-ticks) in the long run?

Thanks.

Last edited by Whoppie; 28-11-2010 at 02:57 AM..
Old 28-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #1843

Hi to all,

Need some help here.

I was recommended by the aircon servicing guy to change to a inverter which uses R22 refrigerant.

I am reusing back the old piping. But the piping very old already. I guess 15 years. Do you think its advisable? Changing piping is out of question coz existing piping is hidden and would involve some renovation / tearing down work.

Thanks and regards

Facing the same dilemma now, old system uses R-22. Contractor gave me 2 options,

1) Get a 3-tick energy efficiency rating model from Daikin or Toshiba which uses R-22.

2) Get a 4-tick model which uses R-410 and flush/purge pipes with nitrogen before installation. However he says there is a risk as R-410 operates at a much higher pressure.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #1844
Master Member

Hi to all,

Need some help here.

Thanks and regards
from what i read abt R410A and R22 refrigerant, if it is R410A piping you can use R22, but not the other way. Some contractors claimed that if they can "clean" the pipes using R22 so that they can use the new R410A.

well... prob... but the new R410A olso uses higher pressure and needs thicker Cu pipes. Need to consider this as well.
Old 30-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #1845

I am also going to install airconditioners for my new 4-room flat. Today, I went to Gain City to find out more about airconditioners. Salesman advised me that I should get a system 4 for my 4-room flat.
According to him, there are certain brands and models I cannot use because of the small size of my aircon ledge window. He recommended LG inverter but I am inclined to get Daixin, Mitsubishi or Panasonic inverter as these brands seem to be more popular with forumers. Out of these three brands, which model and brand (and its estimated price) would you recommend? I normally switch on my aircon for two bedrooms in my old house at least for entire night. Occasionally switch on aircon in living room in the old house when it is hot. I don't mind paying slightly more for a quiet, energy saving, cool airconditioner. Hope someone can give feedback/suggestions.
have you bought your system 4 yet? care to share?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.