HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #2191
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hey thanks for helping me decide.
Ur usage before the change is almost the same as mine
Old 19-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #2192
Master Member

If you bother to check past posting, you can see how much savings I enjoy each month.

FYI.. I start using Inverter Aircon from December 4th...
Change from System 2 non inverter LG H2UC186FA0 (20k BTU) to System 2 Inverter Panasonic CU-2S18KKZ (17k BTU)
Usage: Every night

[/QUOTE]

what about Feb to April? can share your latest bill?

coz it's interesting that although you switched to Inverter in Dec, your Dec bill did not reflect that. But then again, PUB only checks your meter bi-monthly... so... hm.

the saving of 382kWh (700-318) divided by 30 days and 8 hrs/day works out to be ~1.6 kWh.

CU-2S18KKZ compressor runs at max load of 1.464 kW

Unless your old non-inverter compressor is humongous, it's unlikely the saving was solely due to air-con change.

Went overseas for holiday in Dec perhaps?
Old 19-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #2193

Err... January Bill is for December usage.. My cut off billing around 2nd or 3rd every month.. So the usage graph is accurate. During the non-reading month, I always submit it myself.

thesingingbard: Why are you so prejudice towards inverter aircon?
FYI The LG H2UC186FA0 uses around 2kWh... a 8 hours usage will use 16kWh a day... and 480kWh a month... The sum is that simple.....

Inverter only uses 1.464kWh (your quote) during the max load. When the temperature is reached, it will run part load of 0.475kWh (source from http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp)

what about Feb to April? can share your latest bill?

coz it's interesting that although you switched to Inverter in Dec, your Dec bill did not reflect that. But then again, PUB only checks your meter bi-monthly... so... hm.

the saving of 382kWh (700-318) divided by 30 days and 8 hrs/day works out to be ~1.6 kWh.

CU-2S18KKZ compressor runs at max load of 1.464 kW

Unless your old non-inverter compressor is humongous, it's unlikely the saving was solely due to air-con change.

Went overseas for holiday in Dec perhaps? [/QUOTE]

Last edited by sentosaubin; 19-05-2011 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: revision
Old 19-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #2194
Supremacy Member

of course it will help
Inverter aircon help if you only turn 2 out of 3 aircon.
Non inverter will blast full power even if you only on 1 aircon out of 3
Your info from aircon salesman trying to sell more expensive inverter for higher sales commission

Most multisplit non-inverter have at least 2 compressors.

Lets say at 20000btu system 3

1 x 12000 btu shared amongst 2 units
1 x 8000 btu standalone.

Lets say only 1 of the units connected to 12,000 btu is turned on. This means that the unit gets the full benefit of the 12,000 btu and cools the room faster and so compressor shuts off earlier. If 2 units are on, they get 6,000 btu each.

As for the 8000 btu, it is standalone.

Also be aware of inverter standby power:
http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32540

For me, inverter is worth it for bedrooms or any room where aircon is on more than 8 hours a day, but other rooms, I use regular non-inverter.

Last edited by limster; 19-05-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 19-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #2195

For standard HDB Flat, you wont be able to have 2 compressors (or condensors) as the height of it will be definitely more than your windows... Only for a new HDB Flat with Aircon Ledge that you can put the high multi-compressors

Standby power, I never encounter it. Perhaps that problem is unique to Mitsubishi Electric Starmex

Besides, what's the point of saving that $500 of non inverter when you are going to pay $500 more in 1 year for the next 10 year with oil price keep going up?

Your info from aircon salesman trying to sell more expensive inverter for higher sales commission

1 x 8000 btu standalone.

Lets say only 1 of the units connected to 12,000 btu is turned on. This means that the unit gets the full benefit of the 12,000 btu and cools the room faster and so compressor shuts off earlier. If 2 units are on, they get 6,000 btu each.

For me, inverter is worth it for bedrooms or any room where aircon is on more than 8 hours a day, but other rooms, I use regular non-inverter.

Last edited by sentosaubin; 19-05-2011 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 20-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #2196
Master Member

Err... January Bill is for December usage.. My cut off billing around 2nd or 3rd every month.. So the usage graph is accurate. During the non-reading month, I always submit it myself.

thesingingbard: Why are you so prejudice towards inverter aircon? FYI The LG H2UC186FA0 uses around 2kWh... a 8 hours usage will use 16kWh a day... and 480kWh a month... The sum is that simple.....

Inverter only uses 1.464kWh (your quote) during the max load. When the temperature is reached, it will run part load of 0.475kWh (source from http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp)

prejudice?

hee... i olso chose inverter leh. Only that i gotch minimal change in electric bills. Still, I think inverter is more efficient, just that i'm intrigued you had such a huge drop in kWh.

the difference between inverter & non-inverter is only the inverter can operate the compressor motor and varying speeds. Non-inverter only 2 spds: stop or max. So when the desired-temperature is reached, inverter can slow down and maintain; while the non-inverter stops and when the temperature goes up again, it'll go max spd again - hence not velly efficient.

But the data cannot lie, the savings in kWh maintains... i guess your previous air-con really wastes a lot of energy.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #2197

My PUB bill also similar like bro sentosaubin... I changed my samsung sys 3 with ME sys 3.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #2198
Master Member

My PUB bill also similar like bro sentosaubin... I changed my samsung sys 3 with ME sys 3.
very sad... only mine see minimal changes.

Too bad cannot show... it's over a year ago liao. Just checked online, i cannot see usage more than 6 months ago.
Old 20-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #2199

Is anybody using Tr3nds service? http://trendshome.com.sg/

I have a very bad experience with them today.

Im suppose to get a aircon installation today, and they say that they will come from 11-1pm and then they push it to 1-3pm, Then i thought nevermind, as long as they come but until 3 already they still not here. From 3-3:40 i was trying to call the contractor and their office numbers and they didnt pick up ANY of my call? I called around 20 times ??!!

The office number 6286 2630 is seriously useless, the electronic system says that it will transfer the call to the delievery department/ customer service after pressing number 5/4respectively. But i can tell you it does not work. After listening to some music, it tells you that it is unable to transfer the call and then will cease the call.

I am worried now, wondering if eventually if there is a problem with my air condition, how do i contact the company? Im starting to doubt and question myself and wonder if this company is a legit company? Because the numbers are clearly for show.

To make it worst, i bought the aircon from NTUC Extra, I called NTUC also, and ALSO nobody is picking up my call?? (i called around 6 times). Then i was seriously wondering if i TIO SCAM. Until i went online and search and called their office did they get back to me, (after arguing with them asking why they did not pick up the call and what is wrong with their sub contractor) did i get a call back from my contractor at 3:50, telling me he got a problem installing aircon in another area and said he want to push it back to 5-6pm.

Anybody got call their office number before? Got work? Very scary lei, the number like fake like that.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #2200

hi guys,

my air con consist of 1 condensing unit and 4 units of AC in my 3 bedrooms and 1 living room.

i've had that installed for the past 12 years.

However in recent years, 2 of my bed rooms seem to have the AC unit not 'powerful' enough. I've had 2 different aircon servicing company over to my place to check it out (1 being Homem*x Aircon Services)

they did chemical cleaning and steam cleaning to my AC units but however it doesn't seem to work that well.

being a complete noob about aircon here, i would like to consult bros here for what i should do next. My father has told me that it is quite impossible to change the pipings as they are concealed.

below are screenshots of my AC and Condenser Unit's model number.

Condenser Unit:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Living Room AC Unit:

Bedrooms AC Unit:

What did your contractor say after they chemical wash n steam clean it yet can't solve the problem?

You are having an inverter system btw and it's ok to retain the existing piping if you are changing to similiar capacity indoor units and there's no leakage in the piping but of course not r410a types.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #2201

1 x 8000 btu standalone.

I did not read from the link you post but i do know that non-inverter has standby power as well. So if you really want to save, turn off the isolator every morning when you go to work.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #2202

For standard HDB Flat, you wont be able to have 2 compressors (or condensors) as the height of it will be definitely more than your windows... Only for a new HDB Flat with Aircon Ledge that you can put the high multi-compressors

Standby power, I never encounter it. Perhaps that problem is unique to Mitsubishi Electric Starmex

Besides, what's the point of saving that $500 of non inverter when you are going to pay $500 more in 1 year for the next 10 year with oil price keep going up?
He meant that the Condensing Unit has 2 compressors inside instead of 1. Standby power applies to all airconditioner not only Mitsubishi
Old 20-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #2203

Is anybody using Tr3nds service? http://trendshome.com.sg/

I have a very bad experience with them today.

Im suppose to get a aircon installation today, and they say that they will come from 11-1pm and then they push it to 1-3pm, Then i thought nevermind, as long as they come but until 3 already they still not here. From 3-3:40 i was trying to call the contractor and their office numbers and they didnt pick up ANY of my call? I called around 20 times ??!!

The office number 6286 2630 is seriously useless, the electronic system says that it will transfer the call to the delievery department/ customer service after pressing number 5/4respectively. But i can tell you it does not work. After listening to some music, it tells you that it is unable to transfer the call and then will cease the call.

I am worried now, wondering if eventually if there is a problem with my air condition, how do i contact the company? Im starting to doubt and question myself and wonder if this company is a legit company? Because the numbers are clearly for show.

To make it worst, i bought the aircon from NTUC Extra, I called NTUC also, and ALSO nobody is picking up my call?? (i called around 6 times). Then i was seriously wondering if i TIO SCAM. Until i went online and search and called their office did they get back to me, (after arguing with them asking why they did not pick up the call and what is wrong with their sub contractor) did i get a call back from my contractor at 3:50, telling me he got a problem installing aircon in another area and said he want to push it back to 5-6pm.

Anybody got call their office number before? Got work? Very scary lei, the number like fake like that.
not trying to add salt from your wound but i suggest always to get from authorized dealer from the respective brands that you are buying. You should be able to view the list of dealers from their websites rather than from places where they sub and sub to god knows who
Old 21-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #2204

not trying to add salt from your wound but i suggest always to get from authorized dealer from the respective brands that you are buying. You should be able to view the list of dealers from their websites rather than from places where they sub and sub to god knows who
Thanks, i did take it into consideration, but because i thought tr3nd makes portal aircon themsleves, so thought that theres some degree of speciality in aircon industry. But anyway 2 china contractor came at 6:30 and i have to say the worksmanship isnt that bad, they seal up all holes properly etc, im not a expert in these kind of things so only time can tell.

My only concern (legal and safety reasons) is my steel bracket looks so much larger and thus is bolted on the side wall (Left and right wall of the timber frame) instead of the normal bottom that i see around my residential area and theres slight crack, slight cracking on the bolted areas.

Thats the only concern i have now (slight crack and having different steel bracket from others that is that is). Other than that only time can tell.
Old 21-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #2205

yeah, correct. this is what i do as well, no matter what things i buy also.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.