HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #211
Shu

the Air-Con service-man came and checked... apparently my pipe thermistor is faulty. After changing it (S$80!), everything seems to be okay liao... hehe..

oh btw, Shu, if your air-con only consumes 1.6kWh per night (8 hrs), that's only 200W! Amazing! May i ask how much is your monthly PUB bill?
Ah you see I was surprised to find out it's consumption is that low. Turns out, the aircon isn't on throughout the night. Most of the power is consumed during the first hr as it cools the room down. Once the room's cool, it's just a matter of maintaining that temp. Do note that I set it at 26-27 degrees, which may be warm to some. Also, ambient temps are lower at night., which means u need less power to cool a room down.

I did another experiment in the afternoon. Observed usage for an hour at about 2pm and found the aircon consumed 0.8KWH in that 1 hour.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #212
Master Member

Ah you see I was surprised to find out it's consumption is that low. Turns out, the aircon isn't on throughout the night. Most of the power is consumed during the first hr as it cools the room down. Once the room's cool, it's just a matter of maintaining that temp. Do note that I set it at 26-27 degrees, which may be warm to some. Also, ambient temps are lower at night., which means u need less power to cool a room down.

I did another experiment in the afternoon. Observed usage for an hour at about 2pm and found the aircon consumed 0.8KWH in that 1 hour.
nevertheless, impressive still! even without the compressor unit turned on, the FCU also consumes substantial energy...

btw, what's your air-con brand? maybe it's time for me to change after-all! My Fujitsu is only 2 ticks... and I'm spending >$300 on PUB bills! Most of it is electricity!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #213
Shu

nevertheless, impressive still! even without the compressor unit turned on, the FCU also consumes substantial energy...

btw, what's your air-con brand? maybe it's time for me to change after-all! My Fujitsu is only 2 ticks... and I'm spending >$300 on PUB bills! Most of it is electricity!
It's a Mitsubishi Electric, installed in June 2007. I believe it has 3 ticks.

Perhaps new aircons really don't consume all that much power, inverter or non-inverter. The figures don't lie!
Old 17-04-2009, 03:34 AM   #214
High Supremacy Member

I just installed my new aircon couple of weeks back...now neighbour complains that their room wall grows mold as one of my room is just besides their room. My tenant is using it and i have specifically instructed him to set it at 24degree temp if using. Somehow every morning, I walks past the corridor outside...can see his room window fulls of water condensation. My previous daikin nvr had this problem before. Now the new one seemed to be quite powerful.
Old 17-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #215

Hi guys, my friend received a call from someone who wishes to swap his FCUs sometime last week. he tried contacting the person many times but only ended up being put to mailbox. if u happen to be the one that called, pls kindly contact him again. thanks!
Old 19-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #216

planning to get the Mitsubishi Starmex but was tempted by LG Artcool series, anybody has used Lg before? Appreciate some feedback
Old 19-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #217
Supremacy Member

yeah would like to know as well
Old 22-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #218
High Supremacy Member

looks nice but LG the panel checked vibrates a lot due to it's design tho it looks cool.
Old 22-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #219

Anybody knows how to justify the BTU required?

I am recommended by my air-con man that 18K BTU is sufficient for my living room but my neighbours are installing 24k and 26k.

So how do i know how much BTU i need to cool my living room?
Old 22-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #220
High Supremacy Member

previously I was using 26BTU, now switched to 18BTU, so far so good. I guess the previous BTU is too big for the room. hahaz
Old 22-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #221

Does it mean the bigger the BTU, the more energy / electricity it need to consume to cool the room?
Old 22-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #222

previously I was using 26BTU, now switched to 18BTU, so far so good. I guess the previous BTU is too big for the room. hahaz
Hi Repsol

is ur 18K BTU mitsubishi blower the long type or similiar size with ur room unit?
Old 24-04-2009, 04:02 AM   #223
High Supremacy Member

Hi Repsol

is ur 18K BTU mitsubishi blower the long type or similiar size with ur room unit?
18k is similar to room unit.
Old 25-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #224

Wow... this thread is really informative!
I'm planning to replace my old system-2 National aircon.
Went to BestTech Toa Payoh and was recommended LG non-inverter or MHI inverter.

Below is my preferences:

I turn both aircons at least 10hrs /day.
[Do you think it's better if i get Inverter?]

I like my room cold, though i prefer that it can get warmer a few hours into my sleep because sometimes the cold wakes me up prematurely. haha.
[in one of his posts, thexenomorph mentioned his MHI Inverter isn't that cold. Anybody here thinks otherwise?]
[Is 9000 btu enough?]

I put my bed below the aircon. So i'm looking for an aircon that can swing well downwards
[ thexenomorph mentioned that his MHI Inverter don't swing downwards very well. Anybody can recommend a brand that doesn't have this problem?]
Old 26-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #225
High Supremacy Member

am usin ME Inverter....it's damn cold until my neighbour complains that their room wall grows mould...due to the fact that their wall being in room temp and water condensation occurs. I got it from best tech. Copper, maybe you should try ME coz it swings well downward. If ya installin system 1, then go for non inverter. If ya having couple of rooms which turns on everyday....then go for inverter.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.