HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree892Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #3391
Master Member

a. What is the good and reliable brand?
So far in singapore...best selling brand would be mitsubishi heavy,mitsubishi starmex,daikin,panasonic,toshiba..all these brand also is reliable brand...actually buying air con sometimes depend on some luck also.

b. Shall I reinstall with new trunking?
If your flat is hdb..and all of your air con system trunking is not conceal..better to change all...use back old piping does not save much..in case air conditional is a long time investment house appliance...the pressure of latest refrigerant r410a is higher than previous refrigerant r22...afraid have a gas leaking in the future if your previous old copper piping is not the good quality material.

c. Do they charge for the removing of all units?
Most of the air con company will free removing for you..courts will have a charge on removing old air con.

Hope all this can help you.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #3392

To change or not to change?

Hello. I am not sure if the air con unit in our flat need changing.

Heavenly engineering came to service our 15 year old 5 Sanyo non inverter fan coils . They mentioned the units look dirty. Recommend change to Daikin.
The 3 bedroom AC have always been nice and cold. The living and dining combined area (approx 30m2) currently have 2 fan coils (12,00BTU and 18,00BTU) sharing one compressor. The 18,000 BTU fan coil occasionally does not blow cold, especially on warm afternoons.

Heavenly engineering quote approx 6k to change all 5 fan coils to Daikin. No mention if piping will be changed, or if inverter system.

Got another quote from gain city, to change all 5 fan coils to Panasonic inverter system, with hacking and change of piping for 8k.

The thing is, our third baby is coming in 3 weeks time. I am not sure if I am considering changing the aircon just because my pregnant brain wants everything to be new (yes I just dry cleaned the curtains, got father in law to repaint bedroom, and am in process of mega spring clean), or the air con really needs changing because it can't get cold anymore, even after gas top up at addtional charge by service men few weeks ago.

Look forward to your opinions. I don't trust my own. And husband is overseas till due date. Argh.

Thanks
Old 13-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #3393

To linusz,

Outdoor unit: SCM80ZJ-S 1 x (32,400 BTU)
Indoor units:
SRK25ZJ-S1 3 x (9,000 BTU)
SRK50ZJ-S1 1 x (18,000 BTU)

Can someone please advise:
(1) Any difference between AmarFlex and Thermaflex brands?
My air con system at my house is use the amarflex brand insulation..recommended by my air con installer..so far no any sweating problem happen.

(2) Class 0 better than Class 1?
I use class 1,because last time i remember the sales person told me that class 0 is not much different with class 1,fire resistance only.

(3) Need to indicate on invoice to include BCA certified contractor?
Air-Con Installer should have BCA license.

(4) Need to indicate on invoice to vacuum the copper pipe before releasing refrigerant?
During the installation, i noticed that my installer got vacumm the copper piping 1st,they tell me the copper piping need to be clean.

(5) Do we get to keep the old aircon? Or the contractor take the old units? Any use for it? Trade in?
My installer dismantle and dispose the unit for me..dont want to dispose by my own.

(6) Which is the more attractive package, or other things to look out for?
I recommend mitsubishi heavy because so far it did not bring any trouble for me,its very quiet and cool.

(7) Any recommended companies?
Before i want to purchase air con,i got compare price with gc,nc n ctaircon...finally i decide to purchase with ctaircon..because their salesman is very nice n keep following my quotation,pricing also quite competitive..so far the workmanship also not bad..all touch up nicely..mine one is MHI system 3.

Hope All this can help you.
Old 13-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #3394

Any comments on fujitsu aircon? The newer model that the front will extend up.
Old 14-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #3395

Uh, based on my layman research comparing Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Panasonic,

For 9k BTU units, the MHI is much much quieter than the Pansonic. (MHI 21-34 dbA vs Pana 29-40 dbA)

For 21k BTU units, they are both similarly noisy under load. (MHI 26 - 46 dBA vs Pana 38 - 47 dBA)

(based on downloadable pdf brochures from their sites, I pasted the links a few posts above)
Hi all,
For Panasonic and MHI inverters, which one is better?
Also, the price? Think MHI is more ex?
Getting confused - a lot of 'cleaning mould' technologies.

Hi aircon people,
Do we need SWG22 if trunking runs behind cupboard?
Upgrade from SWG23 to SWG22 will be how much approx, ah?

Hi Felali,
Which one you bought after all? Panasonic or MHI?
Old 14-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #3396

I recommend mitsubishi heavy because so far it did not bring any trouble for me,its very quiet and cool.

(7) Any recommended companies?
Before i want to purchase air con,i got compare price with gc,nc n ctaircon...finally i decide to purchase with ctaircon..because their salesman is very nice n keep following my quotation,pricing also quite competitive..so far the workmanship also not bad..all touch up nicely..mine one is MHI system 3.
The workmanship good is it? Most shops quote SWG23.
One quote SWG22, another quote SWG24. Need to get so good SWG22 or not?

How about Panasonic inverter? They seem like old very brand, first to launch inverter. Any good feedback?
Old 15-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #3397

linusz,

First brand to launch inverter aircon is Toshiba.
But the brand that made inverter famous is Daikin. (IMO)
G22 is of a thicker pipe, if your pipes are concealed, it is recommended.

Last edited by terumo; 15-04-2013 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 15-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #3398

Hi Felali,
Which one you bought after all? Panasonic or MHI?
Haven't decide, cos getting the HDB house 2nd half of the year...

My current house (parent's) sys2 air-con that I bought last January is a MHI, so far so good.
Old 15-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #3399

kaweng,

How many times ur light blink and stop?
It just blink slowly.
This company called back and tell me need 350 to change 1 wiring so to change 3 need $1050. Don't really feel comfortable. Really desperate liao so got another contact from my wife's friend. Came down on the same day to access. Told me cable broke so not enough power to aircon. Charge me $350 to change all 3 cable. Came down last sun to change and show me that they are using keystone cable(not sure good or not)
At least now all aircon working nicely.

In singapore weather, got airon also headache, no aircon also headache.
Old 15-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #3400

Hi guys.. Juz wanna check with u guys... If I buying new aircon system 2,they will change the piping everything rite? Trunking all? Without additional charges.. All I went to check out is all put free installation..
Old 16-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #3401

to kaweng,

keystone is a good brand.
Old 16-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #3402

Have just check with agent, the whole blower unit is $200/each incl GST. I would like to change 2 units of blower and for the mbr, re-run the piping which is <5m long. Any reliable installer to recommend?
After hunting high & low, managed to find 1 that is willing to do and does Mit ac mostly from an electrician friend, quoted me 350net for labor to replace the 2 fan coil unit and also supply & re-run the mbr piping. They even re-run the electrical wire for mbr as the initial 1 was being joint. After the job, they topped up the gas and also wiped clean the walls. Damaged, 750 bucks. Finally able to beat the heat.

For the same job, I was quoted 450+ x 2 units to supply and install the fan coil and also another 450+ to re-run the piping as they said it's std price for <15m length. Total 1350 bucks.

Saved 600 bucks! My advise, try to do your sums 1st before committing, we are at the mercy of these guys.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #3403

Thanks terumo for the assurance.
At least I now know I'm not taken for a ride.
Now only hoping that my aircon don't have any more problem.
Old 17-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #3404

To linusz

I heard many ppl said swg 24 easy to sweating..so dont use..must at least swg 23.
Old 17-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #3405

Thanks terumo for the assurance.
At least I now know I'm not taken for a ride.
Now only hoping that my aircon don't have any more problem.
kaweng,

can share your contact for re-wiring please?

Thanks
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.