HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #4276

To zellhwang,

To reuse piping for HDB, cost actually wont save a lot. If possible replace all the piping unless some other reason deters you from doing so like dismantle warerobe, ceiling etc...

If use back piping, R22 will be better & i think the only option is Daikin.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #4277

Hi all,

I have an 3 + 1 setup for bedrooms and living room. Recently, my multi split unit starts to give problem. It will trip the RCCB after 2-3 hours of operation, after which it will trip it within minutes of operation if you switch it on again.

My guess is that the compressor is burning out, since the unit has been running for 6 years plus. The compressor is from Toshiba, model RAS3M20 (non-inverter). I am thinking about what compressor to replace. I hope to resuse the pipings to reduce costs and trouble. If I am not wrong, the Refrigerant should be R22. So, it should be better to stick to R22, since the R410 has higher pressure requirements ?

Anyone has any recommendations ?

Thanks.
Did you consider to change your compressor to another brands or just stick with Toshiba?
Only can choose the compressor which using R22 if you want to re-use piping.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #4278
Suspended

Hello Zellhwang,

Are you able to switch on the aircon again without tripping say after a few hours or 1 day later? Then the cycle repeats afer itself (2-3 hours trip then afterwhich will continuously trip once you switch on)?

Otherwise is your aircon tripping every single time you on it now?

If it is the former, chances are condensation formed after 2-3 hours of operation and the condensation has hit a wiring/part and caused a trip to happen. Afterwhich it will continue to trip until the wet area dries up and you are able to restart your unit again without tripping. However the cycle will repeat itself after running the system for some time as condensation will form again.

If it is the latter, chances are some parts have shorted out and needs to be checked.

Both scenarios, the trip could be caused by any part and not only restricted to the outdoor unit (compressor). I would suggest that you have your contractor do a check to determine the actual cause so as not to replace the wrong part.

If you are looking at reuse of pipings running on R22 and if you are relatively sure that your pipings are not facing as gas leakage or sweating insualtion problem, for safety measures you can stick back to R-22 system which is as what fellow forumer Terumo have mentioned, Dakin.

Otherwise, if you are changing into a new system running on R410, best that you have the proper flushing procedures done so as not to cause damage to your system.

Alternatively, you can also look into compressor replacement however the price might not be cost efficient. (Replacement can be with an Original Toshiba of the same model or a compatible brand).

Best that you have your contractor do a check to determine the cause of fault first and get a quotation on the repair/replacement before considering your possibilities.

My take is that if your system have been constantly giving you problems and the fault this time after checking lies in the compressor, I would consider to change to a whole new system completely for a peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

Hi all,

I have an 3 + 1 setup for bedrooms and living room. Recently, my multi split unit starts to give problem. It will trip the RCCB after 2-3 hours of operation, after which it will trip it within minutes of operation if you switch it on again.

My guess is that the compressor is burning out, since the unit has been running for 6 years plus. The compressor is from Toshiba, model RAS3M20 (non-inverter). I am thinking about what compressor to replace. I hope to resuse the pipings to reduce costs and trouble. If I am not wrong, the Refrigerant should be R22. So, it should be better to stick to R22, since the R410 has higher pressure requirements ?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #4279

Hi all,

Thanks.
First check your air con MCB is using 20 amp or not . coz old molde RCCB many using 15 amp for air con . I come a cross sometime is the MCB or RCCB is fault .
Old 05-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #4280

Hi terumo, savings is one part, my bigger concern is I have a baby at home and wouldn't want to make the place dusty/messy.

Yes, I have done some research and it seems like Daikin is the only option for the current market if I were to stick to R22. Thanks.

To zellhwang,

To reuse piping for HDB, cost actually wont save a lot. If possible replace all the piping unless some other reason deters you from doing so like dismantle warerobe, ceiling etc...

If use back piping, R22 will be better & i think the only option is Daikin.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #4281

Hi Joevyis,

I probably won't stick to Toshiba, since, as mentioned by other forumers, Daikin is the only option for R22 in the current market.

Did you consider to change your compressor to another brands or just stick with Toshiba?
Only can choose the compressor which using R22 if you want to re-use piping.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #4282

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

My situation is slightly different. After 2-3 hours, it will trip. And when I switch on, it can last for a few minutes before tripping again (not immediately, so I don't think it is condensation).

I actually tried using my vacuum cleaner to do some clean up on the fins of the compressor. After cleaning, it did not trip throughout the night (10-11 hours of operation) for the past 2 nights. This was rather puzzling, as I didn't suspect that dusty fins can cause the compressor to overheat. I have arranged for an aircon technician, but made a cancellation of appointment as the compressor didn't trip for the past 2 nights.

Since it rained today, I also sprayed the fins with water and will continue to monitor for the next few days. If it trips again I will probably change the compressor. My preference is to just change the compressor to minimise the amount of disruptions and mess at home.

Last but not least, you mentioned about 'compatible brand'. From the suggestions of forumers, it seems like Daikin is the only option. Can I use a Daikin compressor (R22) with my current Toshiba blowers ?

Thanks.

Hello Zellhwang,

Are you able to switch on the aircon again without tripping say after a few hours or 1 day later? Then the cycle repeats afer itself (2-3 hours trip then afterwhich will continuously trip once you switch on)?

Otherwise is your aircon tripping every single time you on it now?

If it is the former, chances are condensation formed after 2-3 hours of operation and the condensation has hit a wiring/part and caused a trip to happen. Afterwhich it will continue to trip until the wet area dries up and you are able to restart your unit again without tripping. However the cycle will repeat itself after running the system for some time as condensation will form again.

If it is the latter, chances are some parts have shorted out and needs to be checked.

Both scenarios, the trip could be caused by any part and not only restricted to the outdoor unit (compressor). I would suggest that you have your contractor do a check to determine the actual cause so as not to replace the wrong part.

If you are looking at reuse of pipings running on R22 and if you are relatively sure that your pipings are not facing as gas leakage or sweating insualtion problem, for safety measures you can stick back to R-22 system which is as what fellow forumer Terumo have mentioned, Dakin.

Otherwise, if you are changing into a new system running on R410, best that you have the proper flushing procedures done so as not to cause damage to your system.

Alternatively, you can also look into compressor replacement however the price might not be cost efficient. (Replacement can be with an Original Toshiba of the same model or a compatible brand).

Best that you have your contractor do a check to determine the cause of fault first and get a quotation on the repair/replacement before considering your possibilities.

My take is that if your system have been constantly giving you problems and the fault this time after checking lies in the compressor, I would consider to change to a whole new system completely for a peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #4283

Hi mrairc,

I am not sure how to check the air con MCB. If aircon MCB is underrated, MCB should trip instead of RCCB?

The trip was at RCCB, which has a label "40A DP 30mA". I have not clues about MCB stuffs...

First check your air con MCB is using 20 amp or not . coz old molde RCCB many using 15 amp for air con . I come a cross sometime is the MCB or RCCB is fault .
Old 05-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #4284

To Zellhwang,

If ur Toshiba is non inverter, then Daikin outdoor can work but warranty wise, I duh tink Daikin will cover. Cos indoor unit is different brands.

Or u can also consider reconditioned outdoor if u do not wish to replace ur indoor units & piping.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #4285
Suspended

Hello Zellhwang,

I believe what you meant was cleaning up the coils/fins at the condenser.

When the coils/fins at the condenser are dirty/dusty, the hot air cannot be emitted properly from the condenser and might cause a short cycle and lead to an overload trip. Overtime, with the heat building up inside, it might cause the condenser to malfunction.

There are actually several options depending on what is the actual fault cause part.

Say if the compressor is diagnosed to be faulty, you can opt to change only the compressor with an original Toshiba compressor or equivalent brand(btw the outdoor unit is called the condenser and the compressor is a part inside the condenser. Inside the condenser hosts other parts such as pcb boards etc).

Another would be to change the whole condenser and yes since your system is a non inverter, Daikin will match your indoor Toshiba blowers. This works for non-inverter systems only.

Since the cleaning, the condenser has been working well without trip so it would most probably be the best to monitor the situation as what you are doing.

If the trip does happen again, it would be best you have your contractor come down for a check as it would most likely be a short on some parts be it internal or external. With the actual fault diagnosed, it would then be easier for you to gauge which option would be the most cost savings and least disruption caused to your premises so as not to affect your baby.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

My situation is slightly different. After 2-3 hours, it will trip. And when I switch on, it can last for a few minutes before tripping again (not immediately, so I don't think it is condensation).

I actually tried using my vacuum cleaner to do some clean up on the fins of the compressor. After cleaning, it did not trip throughout the night (10-11 hours of operation) for the past 2 nights. This was rather puzzling, as I didn't suspect that dusty fins can cause the compressor to overheat. I have arranged for an aircon technician, but made a cancellation of appointment as the compressor didn't trip for the past 2 nights.

Since it rained today, I also sprayed the fins with water and will continue to monitor for the next few days. If it trips again I will probably change the compressor. My preference is to just change the compressor to minimise the amount of disruptions and mess at home.

Last but not least, you mentioned about 'compatible brand'. From the suggestions of forumers, it seems like Daikin is the only option. Can I use a Daikin compressor (R22) with my current Toshiba blowers ?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #4286
Master Member

Hi all

I used Time Wing services over the weekend (Sunday) for a urgent leak problem. They called and came half an hour early.

The experienced technician also advised upon how to minimise my problem, giving me a 'mini' lesson on good AC operation method.

Charges were reasonable considering it is only 1 unit to service on this visit.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #4287
Supremacy Member

For ME Starmax system 3 usually what are the price range?
Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #4288

Hi terumo,

Yes, its non-inverter. Good to hear that Daikin can work, at least I have an option. I would prefer not to use reconditioned units. Anyway, after cleaning my condenser with vacuum cleaner and water spray, the trip didn't happen for the past 4 nights. Hopefully I won't have to change the condenser that soon. Thanks.

To Zellhwang,

If ur Toshiba is non inverter, then Daikin outdoor can work but warranty wise, I duh tink Daikin will cover. Cos indoor unit is different brands.

Or u can also consider reconditioned outdoor if u do not wish to replace ur indoor units & piping.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #4289

Hi Jason,

Yes, I got the term wrong. I cleaned up the coils/fins of the condenser. So far, it has not tripped for the past 4 nights, so I would assume that it is due to dirt/dust and overheating. If the trip happens again, I will get the technician to come down for a check.

It is good that managed to get all the answers I needed here. Thanks for the help.

Hello Zellhwang,

I believe what you meant was cleaning up the coils/fins at the condenser.

When the coils/fins at the condenser are dirty/dusty, the hot air cannot be emitted properly from the condenser and might cause a short cycle and lead to an overload trip. Overtime, with the heat building up inside, it might cause the condenser to malfunction.

There are actually several options depending on what is the actual fault cause part.

Say if the compressor is diagnosed to be faulty, you can opt to change only the compressor with an original Toshiba compressor or equivalent brand(btw the outdoor unit is called the condenser and the compressor is a part inside the condenser. Inside the condenser hosts other parts such as pcb boards etc).

Another would be to change the whole condenser and yes since your system is a non inverter, Daikin will match your indoor Toshiba blowers. This works for non-inverter systems only.

Since the cleaning, the condenser has been working well without trip so it would most probably be the best to monitor the situation as what you are doing.

If the trip does happen again, it would be best you have your contractor come down for a check as it would most likely be a short on some parts be it internal or external. With the actual fault diagnosed, it would then be easier for you to gauge which option would be the most cost savings and least disruption caused to your premises so as not to affect your baby.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham
Old 09-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #4290

Thumbs up Kimura Aircon

Hi got this Japanese brand Kimura installed. Nice looking n smaller in size compared to other brands.cute!! Has interesting features like Haze Eliminator,energy saving and self clean. Good price from Supreme Aircon. really cool..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.