Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inediblebulk

Reaction score
Got a quotation for the 2-tick Starmex System-4 as follows:

28VA compressor
18VA living room
10VA x 3 bedrooms
$3,850 nett, + $150 for 24VA living room.

Alternatively,

38VA compressor
24VA living room
10VA x 3 bedrooms
$4,700 nett.

G22 copper pipe, 16mm drainage pipe (for both cases).

Good, no-good, or quite-standard quote?

They suggested to stick to 18k for living room for my new 4-room BTO ... would y'all agree? My concern is that if I get a 24k for living room I can't use any of the bedroom ones, and although that's fine for us adults, we might want to switch on the unit in our baby's room ... at the very least, long enough for baby to fall asleep soundly.

Im using the same setup with 24VA in 5rm hdb. You can turn on multiple fcu even with living rm fcu on.

Initially it wouldn't be too cold but once the living rm temperature set point is reached, the bedroom fcu will be able to cool fast.

It takes about 1hr for my living rm to cool from 30c to 25c.

Last edited:

bingbing

Reaction score
From their catalogue, MXY4A28 got total capacity of 7.5kw without current limit and 7.2kw with.
MXY4G28 posted 6.5kw with no elaboration on current limit. Go convert kW to btu and figure.

ohoh i see thanks for pointing it out! shall go take a look cos the price diff between 2 and 5 ticks isnt small...

guyferic

Reaction score
One very noob qns. Outdoor unit need a socket to plug in right? If so, the socket is it a must to be at the side of the 20amp power or any other socket also can so long the 20amp is switch on?
after site survey, the person say the outdoor unit can be put outside my room wall since I'm installing a SYS 2 which does not include the master bedroom. But the 20amp power switch is located all the way in the kitchen area. I forgot to ask him this qns because 1st time installing, so everything only comes to mind the day after the site survey.

Last edited:

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One very noob qns. Outdoor unit need a socket to plug in right? If so, the socket is it a must to be at the side of the 20amp power or any other socket also can so long the 20amp is switch on?
after site survey, the person say the outdoor unit can be put outside my room wall since I'm installing a SYS 2 which does not include the master bedroom. But the 20amp power switch is located all the way in the kitchen area. I forgot to ask him this qns because 1st time installing, so everything only comes to mind the day after the site survey.

Why don't you just ask the person who did the site survey ?

guyferic

Reaction score
Why don't you just ask the person who did the site survey ?

I think I found my answer already. Will give my reviews once I digest all infos I've read up & confirm which installation company to hire.

Last edited:

goready

Reaction score
Questions for all. Just installed a ME MXY4A28. The installer told me that they do not charge up refigerant after installation as the refigerant is already pre-stored at the condenser unit. Is this true?
The air coming out from the fcu does not seem to be cold even after setting 18degC and running it for 1 hour. Is this normal for a new unit? Thanks in advance.

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
This is an obsolete system running on R22. The shop who sold you this should be crucified, as R22 systems are not permitted to be sold in Singapore. Care to share who this irresponsible shop is?

Location of temperature sensor, as well as tolerance of the sensor plays a part. But what is important is the final temperature that you get out of the AC, and the power consumed. As an old model an non-inverter version, maybe cheap to buy out front, but high running cost. This applies to any other brands. Good luck.

There's nothing wrong with MA56EV1,an old tried and tested and reliable system. Sad to see them being phased out. My current place using MA56EV1 and Midea inverter. The daikin still more reliable and colder than the cheap inverter system. If you don't have the budget to go for an established brand inverter system or are not a heavy user, MA56EV1 still a good choice. Also many houses still have R22 pipes so MA56EV1 is their only choice. As for R22 phase out, R22 still widely available today and alternative gases such as R422D are available to replace R22 so there's nothing to worry about except bad installation when it comes to this system.

teck13

Reaction score
My installer did not vacuum the lines or check for leakage also. They do not even bring the gauges. They just release the valves and charge up the system.

Goodday79

Reaction score
York mostly do commercial unit. Those huge compressor install on the roof.
Most smokers will know. lol becoz smoke on the roof too often. :s13:

How is your York unit now?

Now York price for system 4 is very competitive.

I am looking for MHI or York.

goready

Reaction score
Questions for all. Just installed a ME MXY4A28. The installer told me that they do not charge up refigerant after installation as the refigerant is already pre-stored at the condenser unit. Is this true?
The air coming out from the fcu does not seem to be cold even after setting 18degC and running it for 1 hour. Is this normal for a new unit? Thanks in advance.
Update.
The installer came back and found one of the fittings leaking. Did a refrigerant charge up and now fcu gives out cool air. Will monitor for awhile.

asgm

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am planning to get a Toshiba Sys4, any comments if this is a good choice. Because my current Mit Starmex CU having problem, according to tech, it says Fan motor spoilt, but still can't confirm if really motor spoilt or Board failure. Thanks in advance!

01asdf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From their catalogue, MXY4A28 got total capacity of 7.5kw without current limit and 7.2kw with.
MXY4G28 posted 6.5kw with no elaboration on current limit. Go convert kW to btu and figure.

Is this catalogue online by any chance? When i loked at the coolserve site it showed both with 33066 btu/hr but that's a 3rd party so ...

hanz170

Reaction score
Replaced with Mitsubishi Starmex Inverter system from existing Daikin non-Inverter System, purchased the 2 tick older system, house was a mess... took an entire working day started at 10:00am and ended at 6:00pm.

System is really quiet which is what my main criteria is, had to removed small portion of false ceiling and replaced everything, wiring, piping (copper and pvc), mounted bracket, wood panel, new sealing everything.

Very tired though but very happy that it went well and all done in one day.. will monitor.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
Replaced with Mitsubishi Starmex Inverter system from existing Daikin non-Inverter System, purchased the 2 tick older system, house was a mess... took an entire working day started at 10:00am and ended at 6:00pm.

System is really quiet which is what my main criteria is, had to removed small portion of false ceiling and replaced everything, wiring, piping (copper and pvc), mounted bracket, wood panel, new sealing everything.

Very tired though but very happy that it went well and all done in one day.. will monitor.

How many system and how much total cost

sharkles

Reaction score
Hello all.. i have looked through some pages of this thread and have some queries that will help in my decision making. I apologise if this question is repeated or too noob.

I have a 5rm bto and i am considering the pros and cons between a system 4 and system 2+3. Apart from the price, what are the pros and cons for each?

Seems like the post on compressor range between 28k to 30k. Is there an ideal size?

Am i right to say each room i should look at 9kbtu while for living room(if i take system 4) will be bigger e.g. 18k-24k? Whats the ideal spilt for living room and rooms for a 5room if its system 4?

I saw B** T** over the weekend and their prices are competitives but also read a few old bad revoews on them. They have this special pipes for the wires and the guy recommended LG.

What are the usual recommended brands for aircon that is cost saving in the long run (easy maintenance, energy saving)

Our aircon usage we believe will be a few hours for 1/2 bedrooms at night, occasional gathering on weekends so living will be on. On hot weathers maybe on living room for a few hours. Does the 2 ticks or 4 ticks make a difference? I understand it does if you are a heavy user.

Thanks in advance for your time! Much appreciated :)

terumo

Reaction score
To teck13,

The installers should do a vacuum before charging up the system.
Releasing gas into the gas into the system straight after installing will lead to air and other objects being thrown into the gas system and shortening the life of the system.

LittleMissRedDot

Reaction score
Why I ask qns for over 2 weeks, nobody reply. I'm so sad. Just like to find a good aircon installation company to install 2 aircon for 2 bedrooms, anyone have any suggestions?

For online I found Jex Aircon and Cool World Aircon, anyone use their services b4, care to share? I saw good and bad reviews for gain city so I think its heng suay one.

Aircon I'm looking at:

Starmex(5 ticks)
MXY2G20VA
MSXY-FJ10VE x 2(9000)

Hi there! We just recently engaged Jex to install sys 4 for our new BTO. My hubs was the main person dealing with them, he chose them because they offered a very good price but above all, he was very detailed and patient explaining the details to my husband from the start. During the installation two guys in their 30s showed up, realised they are a 2nd generation family business and they were pretty helpful and willing to spend some time to share with us the pros and cons of the sites we wanted to install our Aircon units. They seemed pretty reliable and work was nicely done within the day. Only complain from my ID was that they didn't clean up properly before they left.. Which I felt was a small issue, just need to remind them on the day of installation. There is a warranty period for installation work done (can't remember how long but min. 1 year) and 5 years for the compressor.

Whether I would recommend them, I can't say until a year later? Cos some issues might only start showing up then? Also need to test out their after sales service before I feel comfortable recommending.

Last edited:

icekachang72

Reaction score
I'm quoted by an a/c vendor the following for Starmex system 3 (9000 x 2 + 12000) btu

Option 1 - MXY-3A28VA (2-ticks), price $3150
Option 2 - MXY-3G28VA (5-ticks), price $3850

What's the differences between MXY-FJ10VA and MXY-FJ10VE?

Worth topping up another $700 for a more energy saving model?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.