Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Daikin quiet or mitsubishi?
mitsubishi (Starmex) is quietest. not that daikin is noisy. A lot of it depends on how quiet your environment is also i.e. your room is only as quiet as the noisiest object :)

aorealme

Reaction score
I noticed that many people like to go for Mitstubishi Starmex. Just went to Gain City flagship today and found out new Panasonic is same price and it's blade can rotate left right plus ionizer to clean the air while Starmex does not have these 2 function.

Design wise I think it is subjective but both are pretty sleek.

If price is factor then Daikin is actually cheaper.

Can those who bought Starmex explain what is the deciding factor to go for it?

precise

Reaction score
An update.
Got my toshiba system 4 installed y'day by A**b****.

Overall experience is good. Installer is very experience. He told me he has 20+ yr exp. Did the installation from 1030 to 1500 hrs including dismantle my old system 3. Very fast and very neatly done. The only thing he uses 13mm instead of 16mm drainage pipe which differ from my sales contract.he told me 16mm cannot lay tilt properly. He mentioned my old one is 16mm and there is water retain in the pipe when he dismantle. Quite true as there was a time I experience water leakage from one of the fcu.

Toshiba is quite powerful and able to cool the room and hall very fast. Outdoor unit is quiet too.

So far happy with the purchase. Total damage include 5 yrs extended warranty is 4500 with new bracket.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
An update.
Got my toshiba system 4 installed y'day by A**b****.

Overall experience is good. Installer is very experience. He told me he has 20+ yr exp. Did the installation from 1030 to 1500 hrs including dismantle my old system 3. Very fast and very neatly done. The only thing he uses 13mm instead of 16mm drainage pipe which differ from my sales contract.he told me 16mm cannot lay tilt properly. He mentioned my old one is 16mm and there is water retain in the pipe when he dismantle. Quite true as there was a time I experience water leakage from one of the fcu.

Toshiba is quite powerful and able to cool the room and hall very fast. Outdoor unit is quiet too.

So far happy with the purchase. Total damage include 5 yrs extended warranty is 4500 with new bracket.

What is the insulation and copperpipe used, your old bracket cant be reused?

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
mitsubishi (Starmex) is quietest. not that daikin is noisy. A lot of it depends on how quiet your environment is also i.e. your room is only as quiet as the noisiest object :)

Thanks. Seems like a lot ppl going for mitsubishi.

precise

Reaction score
I upgraded to 0.5 inch armaflex. Bracket too small to reuse. Keep it to g23 pipe.
Actually on hind sight, there is no need to upgrade. I see they the whole installation and gut feel is that these upgrades are a bit overkill as I will redo the whole installation if I ever need to change the aircon. Anyway, it's just me.

maur_james

Reaction score
For those who are considering Daikin, DIS offers FOC site inspection, Fortuna charges $50 which can be refunded if you order from them.

cleven

Reaction score
Seems that starcool quite well like. Their Web site having promo for MHI

Fyi, Cold Engine is actually AirconBestValue in renotalk forum. As for Starcool, the website is a different company from Star Cool (Aron & Boon).

We requested quotation from all 3. The Starcool website no response. Quote from Cold Engine & Star Cool (Aron & Boon) comparable in terms of pricing. If in terms of what''s included in the quote, Cold Engine is providing slightly more than Star Cool.

noinimod

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just did my starmex system4 yesterday, very pleased with the results.

Guys, i highly recommend the upgraded materials. There's only 4 main materials to take note of - insulation, copper piping, drainage pipe and wires.

You don't want to be the person who finds out one year later that the wires corroded and you have to redo the whole house because the installer stinged on the quality.

Insulation: 1/2" armaflex. Cheap companies always give 3/8" option.

Copper piping: G22/G21. You'll rarely find people using G21. The smaller the number, the thicker the pipe i.e. G21 is thicker than G22. Cheap companies always use G23. G22 is usually the upgraded option. I opted for G21.

Drainage pipe: 16mm. Cheap option - 13mm. Smaller pipe gets plugged easily.

Electrical wiring: Make sure it's made in Singapore, brand like keystone. If it's china-made wires, stay away. Many online complains about corroded wires/signal lost etc.

Remember that air con installation is not supposed to be rocket science. I have read through a lot of online reviews/reports across the different local forums. I can safely say at least 80% of the issues are due to poor materials and/or installation technique.

Hottyhot

Reaction score
I went to one of Daikin authorized shop and the guy was saying their package comes with standard installation and dont have to upgrade as spec. requirements are already calculated. Hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.