HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #556
Master Member

Can consider Toshiba too..

Noted ~ thks ~
Old 14-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #557
Master Member

any gd deals you guys saw so far ? for sys 2 ac ?
Old 14-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #558
Banned

wa your avatar and signature..
Old 15-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #559

Question Mitsubishi no good. Toshiba ok? Gain City ok?

I am looking to replace my current Mitsubishi aircon.
It is an inverter. It did not save me electricity! It also often give me problems. I have enough servicing it. I need to replace it. It is a 3-split unit. it doesn't even have "fan only" mode (only to know it with a shock after buying). Very upset.

Which brand can you recommend?
I heard Daikin or Panasonic is good. Is that true?

I went to Gain City to ask 2 days ago.
They recommended me one model of Toshiba (indoor unit: RAS-M10SKCV, outdoor unit: RAS-3M20SACV) . It is an inverter. They say that's the only model where the compressor (outdoor) unit is still made from Japan. All others are from either Malaysia, Thailand or elsewhere. Mitsubishi Starmex which is advertised a lot is from Thalland.

They quoted me this:
SGD 2739 - for the 3-split air con
SGD 150 - for installation
SGD 359 - for extended warranty to cover all parts, services for 5 years (std is 1 year)
SGD 350 - for 5 times regular servicing over 2 years\
Total: SGD 3598

My questions are:
1. Is Toshiba a reliable brand for air conditioner? (They are the original inventer of inverter makes any difference)?
2. Is there any quiet and reliable non-inverter air con you can recommend and what's the cost?
3. Is it better to buy from Hong Tar as I heard quite a bit of bad stories about Gain City? (Can anyone comment about their experience with Gain City - good or bad))

Many Thanks.

Best Regards,
Kang Hu
(Trying to make sure I do enough home work before buying this time)
Old 15-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #560
Supremacy Member

Hong Tar also got really bad complain also..
u might wan to look at this page, http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...555211&page=16
majority get aircon from gain city, n their review is gd.

wat model is yr current one? since u already installed inverter, which giv u alot of problem(servicing for inverter is exp), does not save u electricity. mayb u shld go for non-inverter than..

for brand, it up to u lor. but if for non-inverter, 3 tick, system-3, Daikin would be the choice. as from the search at coolserve.com.sg, there is toshiba n daikin, but Daikin has the higher COP, thus better.

but for yr info, Daikin only makes aircon...
Old 15-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #561
Master Member

COP for each model differs even from the same brand... so to know whether the one you're buying is more efficient than another, you've gotta check this link for COP/energy ticks of your air/con compressor model.
http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp

btw, there isn't a 4-tick classification for non-inverter air/cons.

but that doesn't necessarily mean that 4 ticks in Inverter is definitely better than a 3 ticks non-inverter one.

to know more, you gotten read the fine prints here...
http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/article.asp?pid=2845
Old 15-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #562
Master Member

I am looking to replace my current Mitsubishi aircon.
It is an inverter. It did not save me electricity! It also often give me problems. I have enough servicing it. I need to replace it. It is a 3-split unit. it doesn't even have "fan only" mode (only to know it with a shock after buying). Very upset.

Which brand can you recommend?
I heard Daikin or Panasonic is good. Is that true?

I went to Gain City to ask 2 days ago.
They recommended me one model of Toshiba (indoor unit: RAS-M10SKCV, outdoor unit: RAS-3M20SACV) . It is an inverter. They say that's the only model where the compressor (outdoor) unit is still made from Japan. All others are from either Malaysia, Thailand or elsewhere. Mitsubishi Starmex which is advertised a lot is from Thalland.

They quoted me this:
SGD 2739 - for the 3-split air con
SGD 150 - for installation
SGD 359 - for extended warranty to cover all parts, services for 5 years (std is 1 year)
SGD 350 - for 5 times regular servicing over 2 years\
Total: SGD 3598

My questions are:
1. Is Toshiba a reliable brand for air conditioner? (They are the original inventer of inverter makes any difference)?
2. Is there any quiet and reliable non-inverter air con you can recommend and what's the cost?
3. Is it better to buy from Hong Tar as I heard quite a bit of bad stories about Gain City? (Can anyone comment about their experience with Gain City - good or bad))

Many Thanks.

Best Regards,
Kang Hu
(Trying to make sure I do enough home work before buying this time)

Hi Kang Hu,

my experience with GC has been good so far...

it's true that Toshiba Inverter Compressors is made in Japan, but not necessary for their non-inverter compressors.

If you read earlier post, you'll see i've just installed a Toshiba Inverter Sys-4 from GC... all in all i spent $4400+ for:

26k BTU Inverter Compressor with 3 x 10k + 1 x 16k BTU FCU;
3/4" armaflex insulator
5-years extended warrantly
Copper G22 pipes

I got it in May, and I was told prices went up oredi.

My reviews are as follows (compared to my previous inverter air/con): quieter compressor and FCU, strong air-flow, very cold (had to set to 26°C to prevent 'freezing'). One nice feature which i particularly like is: after i switch off the air/con, it'll continue blowing air for 20mins to dry the interior of the FCU to prevent mold build-up. Just got my electrical bill for last month... and there was only a small dip in my electricity usage... so i didn't save as much as i thought i would've.

Hm... some of my frens uses Daikin... and they're electricity bills are really low... but then again it could be just different usage.

whatever you get, do let us know its performance. tks.
Old 15-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #563
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am planning to get Daikin Inverter Sys-3, but waiting if there is good deal.
Anybody has any recommendation? PM Me please
Old 15-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #564
Supremacy Member

I am planning to get Daikin Inverter Sys-3, but waiting if there is good deal.
Anybody has any recommendation? PM Me please
here's the promo for Daikin: http://www.daikin.com.sg/news_popup.asp?id=197

on coolserve.com.sg: additional 1 year warranty..
Old 15-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #565
Master Member

Chun liang urm u got any recommendation for sys 2 AC any promo on thesè 2 brand mitsu , sanyo ? For 2 ac its gd to have invertor or non-inverter?

Last edited by virgoriangur; 15-07-2009 at 05:15 PM..
Old 15-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #566
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thank you chunlianghere!!

Will take a look
Old 15-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #567

Talking Daikin - reliable?

Thanks to thesingingbard and choonlian.

Your info is really helpful. I am particularly delighted to hear thesingingbard tell the little secret about the post 20 minutes win blowing of Toshiba that dry off the fan coil. Really good. That will save up quite a bit chemical wash cost which normally will incur after 2 to 3 years. I am staying near the highway and dust is the bad thing whcih I am struggling with. This feature would really help me.

Also, the NEA link that tells the efficiency of different models of air con is extremely helpful. Thanks again.
From there, after cheking through, the Daikin inverter model 3MKS50ESG (yes, I need a system 3) seems to be the most efficient of all that will really save me max electricity based on my usage.

I use it the compare against my current Mitsubishi heavy industry model, it gives close enough estimate of my electricity usage based on my usage pattern. In that case, Daikin would be able to save me up to 40% of my electricity bill! That's very attractive. But not sure how much more I have to pay for a Daikin as I heard Daikin is generally more expensive.

Anyone has bought a Daikin of that model recently and how much does it cost?
(Trying to see if there are better deals I can get apart from Gain City - I will check with GC later)
Has anyone really get to enjoy the promotion of trade-in?
(by the way, thanks for the promotion link as well).

Is Daikin reliable? Has anyone use it for long enough that can tell some experiences?

Thanks.
Old 15-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #568

Smile Any website to tell the efficiency of non-inverter aircon?

The NEA link that thesingingbard provide is really. It tells the efficiency of each brand and model of aircon. Unfortunately, it only provides the inverter version of the aircon but not the non-inverter version.

Does anyone know of a similar website that can tell the efficiency and provide estimated electricy usage for non-inverter aircon?

Thanks.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #569

Question Tong Har vs Gain City vs Coolserve vs others?

Which is better (good price and good after sales service)?

Seems like thesingingbard recommended Gain City being not bad, though I have heard a bit of bad stories about them. So I guess Gain City is still not too bad to me. Can consider, right?

What about Tong Har?
I heard some good stories about them but choonlian says there are complains about them as well. But choonlian, the link you provide is not giving any complains about Tong Har. May be you type it wrongly. Can you try to give me again? Thanks.

What about Coolserve?
What about others? Any good recommendation?

For Daikin, who would be the best to buy from?
Thanks.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #570

Angry Non-inverter aircon efficiency

Oops .. I just realized NEA website also has the non-inverter version data as well which I missed out. Apology for the oversight!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.