HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Like Tree884Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #601
Supremacy Member

u most welcome!
Old 20-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #602
Arch-Supremacy Member

Coefficient Of Performance

the higher the number, the better efficient and better performance.

http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp
Thanks very much bro for all the reply!

Will update here again on my new aircon
Old 20-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #603
Supremacy Member

waiting to c yr new aircon!
Old 21-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #604

hey mypj_88, which gain city did you go to? i went to 2 different ones, 1 at amk and the other at marina. can't stand the attittude of the guy at amk. had a more pleasant experience at marina. spent 1.5hr there bombarding the guy with questions and asking for quotes.
Old 21-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #605

hey mypj_88, which gain city did you go to? i went to 2 different ones, 1 at amk and the other at marina. can't stand the attittude of the guy at amk. had a more pleasant experience at marina. spent 1.5hr there bombarding the guy with questions and asking for quotes.
causeway pt. i was asking for pros & cons for inverter & non-inverter. he asked me how much budget i have.
Old 21-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #606
Master Member

hee... i wanna state that i'm not recommending any company per se, just relating GC does a better job than my previous free-lance contractor. Who knows? Maybe most air/con companies do a better job than him.

however i would like to say something about Inverter aircon here...

The inverter actually refers to an inverter circuitry in the compressor unit that inverts the 50Hz A/C into a D/C. By doing that the rotational speed of the compressor can thus be regulated.

The inverter air/con is like having a 5-spd ceiling fan. During initial power up, it goes to spd-5 to cool the room to a designated temperature than it goes to a lower speed, say spd-1~2 to maintain the temperature.

for a non-inverter air/con, it only has one spd which is the max spd, so when the designated temperature is reached, it will switch off and when the room needs cooling again, it'll go spd-5.

The following is my own speculation:

i think the inverter circuitry is some sort of power electronics and as such may not have such a long lifetime. So although theoretically inverter air/cons should save energy cost, the extra cash put in plus the 'speculated' shorter life-span may or may not be worth while.

Me? I got inverter!

There's also the issue of R22 gas versus R410a gas. Again supposedly R410a is more efficient, but it runs at 1~2x the pressure of R22 so installation costs increases with the need of thicker Cu pipes. Many inverter air/con uses R410a, while i have yet to come across non-inverter air/con using R410a.

also if you wanna use R410a but your previous air/con uses R22 gas, you would need to replace all the Cu pipes. Although some contractors may say it's okay... i'd suggest you read up a bit before buying their story.

Last edited by thesingingbard; 21-07-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Old 21-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #607
Supremacy Member

hee... i wanna state that i'm not recommending any company per se, just relating GC does a better job than my previous free-lance contractor. Who knows? Maybe most air/con companies do a better job than him.

The inverter actually refers to an inverter circuitry in the compressor unit that inverts the 50Hz A/C into a D/C. By doing that the rotational speed of the compressor can thus be regulated.

The inverter air/con is like having a 5-spd ceiling fan. During initial power up, it goes to spd-5 to cool the room to a designated temperature than it goes to a lower speed, say spd-1~2 to maintain the temperature.

for a non-inverter air/con, it only has one spd which is the max spd, so when the designated temperature is reached, it will switch off and when the room needs cooling again, it'll go spd-5.

i think the inverter circuitry is some sort of power electronics and as such may not have such a long lifetime. So although theoretically inverter air/cons should save energy cost, the extra cash put in plus the 'speculated' shorter life-span may or may not be worth while.

Me? I got inverter!

There's also the issue of R22 gas versus R410a gas. Again supposedly R410a is more efficient, but it runs at 1~2x the pressure of R22 so installation costs increases with the need of thicker Cu pipes. Many inverter air/con uses R410a, while i have yet to come across non-inverter air/con using R410a.

also if you wanna use R410a but your previous air/con uses R22 gas, you would need to replace all the Cu pipes. Although some contractors may say it's okay... i'd suggest you read up a bit before buying their story.
agree wit your post!

oh...haha. than gd luck to your inverter!

ahh...there is actually, non-inverter using R410A. Mitsubishi Electric hav lots of it.

but for inverter using R22, than Daikin hav lots of it.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #608
Master Member

agree wit your post!

ahh...there is actually, non-inverter using R410A. Mitsubishi Electric hav lots of it.

k. noted.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #609
Arch-Supremacy Member

Me? I got inverter!

Great post, very easy to understand!

agree wit your post!

Daikin strategy is interesting.. hmm..
Old 21-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #610
Supremacy Member

Daikin strategy is interesting.. hmm..
yeah...tat is y only Daikin makes aircon!
Old 21-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #611

Thanks thesingingbard for the post of inverter.

Hi All,

i called coolserve in the afternoon. spent 15min to talk about my need & their product & service. Gave them my email, and they had forward me a quotation.

Hi Chunliang,

coolserve ppl mentioned that i may need to check with hdb, to place outdoor condenser at service balcony or must install bracket. But they offer a site visit to show me how the piping run.
Old 21-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #612
Supremacy Member

Thanks thesingingbard for the post of inverter.

Hi All,

i called coolserve in the afternoon. spent 15min to talk about my need & their product & service. Gave them my email, and they had forward me a quotation.

Hi Chunliang,

coolserve ppl mentioned that i may need to check with hdb, to place outdoor condenser at service balcony or must install bracket. But they offer a site visit to show me how the piping run.
no need check, its already stated on the website tat it is approved to place it at service balcony.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10205p....n?OpenDocument

coolserve nv do homework arh? LOL..
Old 22-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #613

yup.. under "compressor type", if there got "TWIN" word, means is 2 compressor inside. if didnt, than it is one.

having 1 or 2 compressor inside, it depends on yr usage n also hav advantage n disadvantage too.. but than getting one wit 2 compressor inside consumes more electricity.
Thanks chunliang... understand abit further...

My usage will be mostly only 1 bedroom ON for night (7hours) and another bedroom On once in a while for night.. (maybe once a week).

If I got a TWIN compressor type, for my usage of most 1 room on at night, will it only switch on 1 compressor of the TWIN?

I want to get s non inverter sys3.
Old 22-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #614
Supremacy Member

Thanks chunliang... understand abit further...

My usage will be mostly only 1 bedroom ON for night (7hours) and another bedroom On once in a while for night.. (maybe once a week).

If I got a TWIN compressor type, for my usage of most 1 room on at night, will it only switch on 1 compressor of the TWIN?

I want to get s non inverter sys3.
in this case, daikin wouldnt suits u as daikin non-inverter is 1 big compressor. so only other brand non-inverter wil use 2 compressor inside.
Old 22-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #615

To: Controller,
You shld get Twin compressor brands like Panasonic or Toshiba. These 2 are quite reliable brands.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.