Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

terumo

Reaction score
To MoDiE,

2 in 1 insulation is not a standard or normal practice.
Its best for the 2 pipes to be in different insulation.

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
I went to gain city, and I asked about their workmanship.. esp. if they will squeeze 2 copper pipes into one insulation.. the salesman said they will squeeze both the liquid and gas copper pipes into one insulation and that this is the standard practice. Is this true???

Water pipe never need insulation leh...:s13: Squeeze into 1 trunking - yes. Not insulator only for cu pipe.

Gain city - after so many year still never change its spot. Come to difficult question - throw smoke bomb...:s13:

hahaha... u suay just kana smoke by a newbie who knows nothing abt AC. But the installation and product at GC is reliable. I wouldn't say much for their SM thou. :s22:

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Water pipe never need insulation leh...:s13: Squeeze into 1 trunking - yes. Not insulator only for cu pipe.

Gain city - after so many year still never change its spot. Come to difficult question - throw smoke bomb...:s13:

hahaha... u suay just kana smoke by a newbie who knows nothing abt AC. But the installation and product at GC is reliable. I wouldn't say much for their SM thou. :s22:

I think you misunderstand. Aircon 101, There are 3 types of pipes:

Liquid (refrigerant) copper pipe (outdoor unit to fcu)
Gas copper pipe (fcu back to outdoor unit) and
Drainage pipe pvc for water drainage.

And all of them needs insulation.. I'm asking is if it is ok to squeeze the first 2 into 1 insulation... for pvc pipe no insulation at the drainage area near toilet is ok one

Last edited:

tuoxiong

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my existing air conditioner. But need some bro here to recommend right place to look for quotation / buy aircon. I know popular choice is like gain city but seems like they always on a higher pricing side. From here, I saw mostly said that Mitsubishi Electric starmex FJ series is good. Other than this model any recommendations too?

frozted12

Reaction score
Need Advise

Hi all, need advise for my 2mths old sys3 Panasonic aircon.
Saw some brown(burnt??) stains at the edge of all the 3 fancoils when doing DIY servicing. See the pictures from the link below.

Inform the installer and they came down to take a look. According to them no worries, it maybe due to the welding/soldering that Panasonic did in the factory. Maybe the intensity of the welding heat is great till hv brown stains.
But im worried leh... I dun remember such stains on my fujitsu aircon at my old house. This is still brand new 2mths of usage only...
Those with Panasonic aircons, pls help check if your fancoils hv such stains. Fancoil model: CSS9PKZW
Thanks...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144736748@N03/30899736375/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144736748@N03/30899737715/in/photostream/

terumo

Reaction score
To frozted12,

These stains are normal if not more then 5-10% of the total coil area.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
from my service contractor, my Daikin AC at home suspect got leak. only 4yrs & infrequent use.

gas pressure down to 6 bars (from 10bars 3 months ago) & small pipe at all 3 FCU showed signed of icing (as pointed out by contractor)

what r likely causes ? was told to do a leak test - any idea how much such tests cost ?

TIA

SoulCraves

Reaction score
Guys, need your views if these are worth:

SYS 3 MXY-3A28VA (Compressor)
MSY-GE10VA
MSY-GE13VA
MSY-GE18VA

Material:
1. G22 (0.711mm Diameter) COPPER PIPE
2. Keystone 3C/40 Strands Cable
3. 16mm PVC water pipe
4. Class 1 Armaflex Insulation 1/2"

$2950 + $500 concealed pipe and hacking

Please share your honest views. Thanks

terumo

Reaction score
To oceanicmanta,

Icing on discharge (small) pipes are signs of low gas pressure which is likely to be caused by gas leakage.

Leakage can happen from the gas piping or from the aircon.

Pressure test usually cost around $300.

tinkerdoll

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I've choosing between Mitsubishi Starmex 2016
2 ticks (used to be 4 ticks before)
:MXY-4A38VA = $ 4,300
:MXY-4A28VA = $ 3,750 (somehow not listed)
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg/products/air-conditioning/residential/multi-split-inverter-r410a/starmex-msy-series-wall-mounted-type
5 ticks
:MXY-4G28VA = $ 4,300
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg/products/air-conditioning/residential/multi-split-inverter-r410a/starmex-msxy-fj-series-wall-mounted-type

Materials (same specs?)
3. 16mm PVC water pipe

I'm told that 2 ticks would likely be stronger than the 5 ticks version.
Is this correct?
As I don't turn on the Air-conditioning that often,
I'm not looking to save power costs when running them.
It just has to work well when it's turned on.

I've also done a bit of research and I'm not sure if I do need MXY-4A38VA
unless I turn on all the room air-conditioners at once.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the size of the compressor?

Thanks!

Last edited:

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I've choosing between Mitsubishi Starmex 2016
2 ticks (used to be 4 ticks before)
:MXY-4A38VA = $ 4,300
:MXY-4A28VA = $ 3,750 (somehow not listed)
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg/products/air-conditioning/residential/multi-split-inverter-r410a/starmex-msy-series-wall-mounted-type
5 ticks
:MXY-4G28VA = $ 4,300
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg/products/air-conditioning/residential/multi-split-inverter-r410a/starmex-msxy-fj-series-wall-mounted-type

Materials (same specs?)
3. 16mm PVC water pipe

I'm told that 2 ticks would likely be stronger than the 5 ticks version.
Is this correct?
As I don't turn on the Air-conditioning that often,
I'm not looking to save power costs when running them.
It just has to work well when it's turned on.

I've also done a bit of research and I'm not sure if I do need MXY-4A38VA
unless I turn on all the room air-conditioners at once.

Does anyone have any advice regarding the size of the compressor?

Thanks!

Take 4G28VA then. Nothing will go wrong with that. Mine 4A28VA with 4 blowers serve me well but 4G series are said to be much better in term of cost saving and efficiency.

kingkong1218

Reaction score
Just to share a bad experience with all of you. A couple months back my aircon started acting up and I wanted to get someone to take a look at it ASAP. I tried a few recommendations but all were too busy to come by.
Searching on Google I came across “COOLCLEAN AIR-CONDITIONING”, called them and they were immediately available (that should have been the 1st warning sign, as reliable ones seem to be in hot demand).
When the “technicians” arrived (more than an hour later than the scheduled time), they took a look at my air-condition unit and immediately said I needed a ‘chemical cleaning’. 1st quote that they gave was $200 (for that single unit). Previously searching on the net I saw other quotes going around $150 - $180. The quote was slightly more expensive but not terribly so. I agreed.
The technicians, simply sprayed some solution on the unit (while it was still mounted to the wall), attached a vacuum to the unit to suck up the solution that was sprayed into the unit. They cleaned the casing and filters, he said the job was done!!!
I turned on the unit, it was still not blowing strongly and then the technicians claimed that a further cleaning of the compressor linked to the set as well as topping up of gas was required. At a further quote of $100 (so we’re up to $300 at this point).
At the time I was thinking that it was excessive but they were in the middle of the job and I wanted to get it over and done with.
The ‘special’ cleaning that they needed to do was basically to spray the compressor clean with water. At the same time they claimed to top up the gas.
After all that was done, they declared the job done.
I tested my bedroom unit against the split unit in my dining area and the dining area was blowing so much more strongly. When I pointed this out to the technicians, they declared that ‘more work’ was needed as they needed to take the bedroom unit off from the wall to clean it further. This was at a further cost of $100!
Taking the total to a whopping $400!!!!!
Now on hindsight, shouldn’t they have taken the unit off straight away as I already paid for the full chemical wash?
The unit finally blew strongly (or at least much more strongly than before they removed the unit for a proper cleaning).
They left after collecting $400 and when I asked them what should I do If I faced further issues, to which they answered, "Don't worry… the cleaning can last for 2 years! But any issues just call our company. It’s a big company and will definitely settle it for you".
I guess after collecting their loot, they’d promise just about anything.
Unfortunately, less than 2 weeks after the cleaning, the air condition unit started to lose strength significantly. When I was finally (was travelling and didn’t want the technicians coming to my place without me around) able to contact the company to arrange for someone to come and take another look at the unit. The company’s admin initially ignored my messages and only after repeated messages, they said that they could send some technicians over but had to charge again for the visit!
After questioning her about the fact that I already forked out $400 for an ‘extensive’ cleaning, she agreed to contact her boss (this was early June) who was travelling till the month end and I just had to be patient. I questioned her on why we needed to wait for her boss when they a ‘big company’ had many technicians. Her response was that I had to be patient and to just wait. Keep in mind that the aircondition unit wasn’t blowing cold and they were telling us to just wait… wait till their boss was available
On 1st July, as expected they did not contact me and I contacted them again to arrange for a visit from this ‘boss’.
Finally on 9th July, this ‘boss’ came to my place… he came alone, dressed like he was going out for a date (no tools, nothing). He turned on my aircon unit, took one look at it (he didn’t even open the cover) and declared that the ‘motor’ was faulty.
When I asked what made him think so, his response was that he was an experienced technician and could tell. So when I asked him why his technicians did not have that same diagnosis and just went for the kill, he didn’t have anything to say. Further questioning him about the cost I was charged for the ‘servicing’, he admitted that he wasn’t the boss and that he couldn’t make any decisions (so much for waiting for a month for the ‘boss’).
He told me that he’d get his boss to call me to settle my issue before leaving. I followed up by messaging the COOLCLEAN admin but to this day, I’ve not got any response.
Since then, I’ve spoken to two other aircon servicing companies and both say that I’ve been grossly overcharged for this ‘servicing’. According to the technicians I spoke to, a chemical wash would immediately require that the unit be removed from the wall so that the entire unit can be cleaned and not just the front (which was what this COOLCLEAN AIR-CONDITIONING did).
To finish off, I just want to strongly recommend to everyone to avoid COOLCLEAN AIR-CONDITIONING (BRN 53321501C)!!!!!!
Stick with tried and tested recommendations instead!!
Not these companies that charge and arm and a leg and simply run off without responsibility over jobs done (especially poorly done ones as in my case above).

SoulCraves

Reaction score
Guys, need your views if these are worth:

SYS 3 MXY-3A28VA (Compressor)
MSY-GE10VA
MSY-GE13VA
MSY-GE18VA

Material:
3. 16mm PVC water pipe

$2950 + $500 concealed pipe and hacking

Please share your honest views. Thanks

Any help please? Thanks

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Just to share a bad experience with all of you. A couple months back my aircon started acting up and I wanted to get someone to take a look at it ASAP. I tried a few recommendations but all were too busy to come by.
Searching on Google I came across “COOLCLEAN AIR-CONDITIONING”, called them and they were immediately available (that should have been the 1st warning sign, as reliable ones seem to be in hot demand)......

Since then, I’ve spoken to two other aircon servicing companies and both say that I’ve been grossly overcharged for this ‘servicing’. According to the technicians I spoke to, a chemical wash would immediately require that the unit be removed from the wall so that the entire unit can be cleaned and not just the front (which was what this COOLCLEAN AIR-CONDITIONING did).
To finish off, I just want to strongly recommend to everyone to avoid COOLCLEAN AIR-CONDITIONING (BRN 53321501C)!!!!!!
Stick with tried and tested recommendations instead!!
Not these companies that charge and arm and a leg and simply run off without responsibility over jobs done (especially poorly done ones as in my case above).

First - Big com or what? very likely BS.
Second - How many units u have were cleaned? Which one with chemical and which one with take down?
third - if $400 for a sys4 chemical cleaning plus takedown, gas top-up and compressor cleaning isn't expensive
Fourth - Ur bedroom unit likely choke up dirt in fan coil which chemical cleaning have no effect
fifth - dun believe even the next 2 companies, they are BSing you abt the chemical wash.

General Guide when ordering for your cleaning of AC:

General Cleaning - $20 per unit? No sure market rate now - "general" vaccum and brushing of dirt and grime of cooling coil and fan coil. Not thorough one.
Chemical cleaning - 40-50 per unit? cleaning the cooling coil and drainage only from grime and dirt. Quite thorough for the cooling coil.
Takedown cleaning - $200-250 per unit? Removing blower from wall will be able to clean the fan coil. Need to top-up gas. (exception of starmex GE series)
Compressor cleaning - $40? Flushing the fan and condenser with clean water, remove dirt only
Refrigerant top-up - $100-$150? Especially needed when a takedown cleaning is done.

Rule of Thumb - Google and read to know more... :D

Last edited:

totoro78

Reaction score
Getting my resale next year, any reliable aircon installer can recommended? I saw Air Connection on FB, are they ok? Thanks

briglaz

Reaction score
Old HDB flat - Aircon wooden wall replacement

Noticed recently that rain water was leaking into my bedroom. Checked that the external air con wall has a big hole.

Any recommendations on replacement of this wooden wall? How much will it roughly cost?

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My parent home, whole trunking from toilet to room has water condensation. Quite jialat. Is it because frequent usage?

Using me. Suck big time. Compressor unit got problem in 3 + years. Not covered by warranty. Also fcu keep breaking down or not cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.