Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachee

Reaction score
Thanks!

I want to install 4 units at one go to save the trouble of of installing again in future.

Based on my consumption, which i think is low, what system should i go for? A system 4 or system 2+2 or 3+1?

And y do u suggest system2 (for more often used rooms) + 2 (for less often used rooms) is a better combination than system 2 (one high and low room) + 2 (one high one low room)?

Hi,

In my opinion, system 2+2 would be better. My reason for selecting this combination and one system frequently used and another less frequently used is because this combination keeps one set (the less frequently used set) relatively new, while the frequently used set is used up in normal usage.

Condenser with more than one FCU has shared components in it and when one of these components failed due to usage by one FCU, it may affect the usage of the condenser by the other FCU.

While the other combinations would run down both condensers even when one of the FCUs in each of its combination is still relatively new. In the end, you have 2 "old" condensers.

In addition, only single split and system 2 condenser can provide the total capacity equivalent to its FCUs while system 3 would see a compromised / sharing of its condenser, providing support below the full capacity of the each FCU.

In terms of price, I think there are not much difference.

Do note that air conditioner technology changes with time so parts may not be available after some time, so if you don't really need the air conditioner, then don't install it or you may ended up with an obsolete model without spare parts that are unique to that model.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
Ideal Specs -

SWG 22 Copper pipe, Armaflex/Thermaflex 1/2/16mm drainage pipe/SG Brands wiring.

hey guys, am looking to get a daikin system 2 + system 3 for my new place soon (5 rm hdb)

Am wondering what are some stuff that i would have to look out for? Like piping get what kind? How thick etc? Anyone can help me? Best if have recommendation, else i would probably go with pro shop

dachee

Reaction score
am i right that if your house has an old aircon system and I wish to upgrade. price will be more expensive than the prices on display?

is panasonic system 3 any good?

Hi,

If I am not wrong, the pricing for new air conditioner in the market is as follows:

1. Price include air conditioner set (ie both condenser and the number of FCUs) + materials (those meeting manufacturer's spec) + installation + dismantling and disposal of existing air conditioner . It has warranty of air conditioner 1 yr, compressor 5 yrs, installation 1 yr. This will be the price on display.

2. Price include air conditioner set + installation +dismantling and disposal of existing air conditioner; using existing materials. It has warranty of air conditioner 1 yr, compressor 5 yrs, installation 1 yr. However, installation warranty is subjected to conditions that defect is not from existing materials. This will be the price on display with some discount.

3. Price include air conditioner set + installation + dismantling and disposal of existing air conditioner + upgraded materials. It has warranty of air conditioner 1 yr, compressor 5yrs, installation 1 yr. This will be the price on display + add-on cost for upgraded materials.

4. In the air conditioner market, there are dealers and installers. Dealers do not install air conditioner but there linked up with installers to provide installation who represent the dealer. Installer normally do not sell air conditioner and many will not do installation for you if you buy your own air conditioner. Some dealers provide installation services for customers who have existing air conditioner but change in placement or who buy their own air conditioner. In this case, you need to specify the conditions of the purchase of installation services such as the material, dismatling and disposal of existing air conditioner if any, installation warranty, etc. Price is subjected to quotation.

5. The above are for HDB, and if you are in private property, then they may be addition cost for hacking and sealing of walls, partitions, cornices. Even if you only wish to install your air conditioner in the same way as in HDB, ie exposed pipes and wiring in conduits, most seller will still charge you extra. This is because most dealers feel that people living in private property has more money to pay for the same job. But with proper sourcing and quotation, you can avoid the extra charge. Ask for quotation with itemized job scope to understand the charges.

6. Some will provide services to install addition power points, others don't and in this case, you would need to get your own electrician to put up the addition power point.

You need to check and compare prices and options.

The standard material required by Mitsubishi StarMEX are:

Pipe:
SWG 22 (0.8mm)
gas/ liquid:
9.52mm(3/8 inches)/6.35mm(1/4 inches) for below 18k Btu and
12.7mm(1/2 inches)/6.35mm(1/4 inches) for above 18k Btu.

Insulation:
5/16 (8mm). You may wish to increase it to 1/2 inches if you have them concealed to avoid costly repair due to water condensation. Don't forget that drain pipe also needs to be insulated too.

Wires:
Power: 3 core/1 mm2 (for below 18k Btu) and 3 core/2 mm3 (for above 18k Btu)
Indoor/outdoor connection wire: 4 core/1 mm2

Drain pipe internal diameter: 15mm

It is important that you insist in your sales agreement that the seller comply to manufacturer's specification and installation requirements (unless you upgraded them) as some materials used as "normal" by sellers are out of the specification and with inappropriate installation procedures.

Branded materials may be preferred to unknown brand.

Sorry, no experience with Panasonic system 3.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
am i right that if your house has an old aircon system and I wish to upgrade. price will be more expensive than the prices on display?

is panasonic system 3 any good?

Hi,

can you give me the model number of the condenser and FCUs. and what are you comparing it with?

With the above, I may be able to give you some information from their specifications.

dachee

Reaction score
hey guys, am looking to get a daikin system 2 + system 3 for my new place soon (5 rm hdb)

Am wondering what are some stuff that i would have to look out for? Like piping get what kind? How thick etc? Anyone can help me? Best if have recommendation, else i would probably go with pro shop

Hi,

All air conditioners provides their specifications which you can review them and compare with different brands and models.

Most of the information provided in the specifications are important as it affects you in some ways. So have a look at the specification and if you need help on that let us know.

Installation materials are equally important. It is therefore necessary that installer use materials that are within the specification or better.

Procedures of installing the air conditioner is also very important and it will be good to indicate in your purchase agreement that the installer comply to the manufacturer's requirements.

If you need more details, let us have your specific questions.

The above are my opinion and hope they are helpful.

dachee

Reaction score
Anyone on System 5? I cannot get a 2 aircons as my house has not been upgraded , only 32A and do not have an air-con ledge.

Hi,

If I am not wrong, it is good to check whether your house ampere load is able to take a system 5. Otherwise, you may ended up having frequent tripping at the breaker.

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Any shop to recommend? Thinking to get Starmex 5 tick more for my bto. Will prefer one system 3 and one system 2.

One on each bedroom and 2 on living room.

A friend help me find his contact and was giving the follow price.

Mxy-3g28va
Msxy-fj10ve x3
Mxy-3g28va
Msxy-fj10ve x1
Msxy-fj18ve x1
$6600

dachee

Reaction score
Any shop to recommend? Thinking to get Starmex 5 tick more for my bto. Will prefer one system 3 and one system 2.

Mxy-3g28va
Msxy-fj10ve x3
Mxy-3g28va
Msxy-fj10ve x1
Msxy-fj18ve x1
$6600

Hi,

Why do you need a MXY-3G28VA and MSXY-FJ18VE for your living room? What is the size and shape of your living room? Over sizing your air conditioner is not good.

dachee

Reaction score
Do you really need to air condition your living?

Hi,

From this forum, it is frequent to read posts indicating that home owners' wish to install air conditioner for their living room.

1. What do you think, is it a wise choice to install air conditioner for your living room?

2. What is your experience for those who did it?

3. Would you have delayed installation if you have the choice to do it again?

perspex

Reaction score

Mxy-3g28va
Msxy-fj10ve x3
Mxy-3g28va
Msxy-fj10ve x1
Msxy-fj18ve x1
$6600

I just have 2 units of aircon relocated from Paya Lebar to Toa Payoh today. This company quoted me a very good price. In addition, their services are tip-top, efficient and very professional. I highly recommend them.

The name of the company is Lemoncool Aircon. U can do a google search and the details will pop up.

dachee

Reaction score
I just have 2 units of aircon relocated from Paya Lebar to Toa Payoh today. This company quoted me a very good price. In addition, their services are tip-top, efficient and very professional. I highly recommend them.

The name of the company is Lemoncool Aircon. U can do a google search and the details will pop up.

Hi,

What price did you pay for it and what materials were used? Any warranty given for the installation? It is good to keep "good" contractor.

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Baggio10

Reaction score
Hi,

can you give me the model number of the condenser and FCUs. and what are you comparing it with?

With the above, I may be able to give you some information from their specifications.

Hi do you meant the old aircon system?
it is a very old system with non inverter type.

hence, looking to change the complete set.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi do you meant the old aircon system?
it is a very old system with non inverter type.

hence, looking to change the complete set.

No. I meant the new model and brand. Also any other new models that you are comparing it with.

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Why do you need a MXY-3G28VA and MSXY-FJ18VE for your living room? What is the size and shape of your living room? Over sizing your air conditioner is not good.

because of the seating area i guess?

20161223_223558.jpg

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
Anybody got good lobang for me starmex system 1, two tick? With swg 22 insulation and 1/2" pipe.. thanks!

wizardundo

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question for a Daikin inverter system 3 (FTKD25DVM) around 6 years old.

It was serviced recently and gas has been topup.

After the servicing, the air con unit would suddenly just blow out room temperature air for few hours or a day and return to normal for the next few days or so before starting to act up again.

I tried turning off and on the air con main switch but it didn't work.

Any idea what could be the problem?

dachee

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question for a Daikin inverter system 3 (FTKD25DVM) around 6 years old.

It was serviced recently and gas has been topup.

After the servicing, the air con unit would suddenly just blow out room temperature air for few hours or a day and return to normal for the next few days or so before starting to act up again.

I tried turning off and on the air con main switch but it didn't work.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Hi,

1. Have a look and feel your condenser to see whether the fan and compressor are both running after 5 mins of turning on your FCU.

The running of the compressor can only be felt (you can't see it) through its vibration. The fan is visible, so you can see whether it is running or not.

2. How far is your condenser from your FCU in meters?

3. What service was done recently?

4. Why was the gas topped up?

dachee

Reaction score
Anybody got good lobang for me starmex system 1, two tick? With swg 22 insulation and 1/2" pipe.. thanks!

Hi,

Why get a 2 ticks StarMEX when there is 4 ticks system 1 (also called single split)

Should be below $1k. including installation in HDB and with materials according to manufacturer's requirement and some even better.

dachee

Reaction score
because of the seating area i guess?

20161223_223558.jpg

Hi,

In my opinion, your living room area after the removal of the study room is estimated to have an area of 50m2. Taking your ceiling height as 2.8m and temperature difference of 10 degree C, your required Btu is less than 18k Btu. (slightly above 10k Btu).

The MXY-3G28VA is a system 3 condenser, meaning it allows 3 FCUs to be connected to it. And it provides up to a normal capacity of 6kW or 20k Btu. and a max of 8.9kW or 30k Btu. In this case, as you are not installing 3 FCUs (you only need 2 FCUs), you are not using the condenser as it is designed for. However, you are paying for the extra features.

Furthermore, this 20k Btu normal capacity (max. 30k Btu) condenser is above your living room cooling requirement.

In my opinion, it would be good enough to have MXY-2G20VA with normal capacity of 4.8kW or 16k Btu (max 6.3kW or 21.5k Btu) and 2 MSXY-FJ13VE with a 3.5kW each or 11.9k Btu. This will allow you to adjust different coolness for different section when required.

Having a MXY-3G28VA and MSXY-FJ10VE + MSXY-FJ18VE does not allow you to do this.

It will be good if you can place a barrier between the living room (or dinning room) and the kitchen to avoid heat from the kitchen heating up your living room and higher running cost.

If you are still concern about the cooling capacity and capacity of the condenser and FCU selection, you may wish to visit Mitsubishi Electric technical support at their Alexander Road office for advise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.